Knowing what we know now, at this moment....

Cdog923

If you could have a mulligan...  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Revisionist history time

• Scott Frost
    • Matt Campbell
    • Dan Mullen

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/14/2020 at 05:59 AM

1 minute ago, KCBuc said:

Just wondering if you are still seeing "improvement"? No wait...noticeable improvement? Asking for a friend. 

Not today but I think your straw argument about rankings telling the story is wrong. Is this what you do, spend hours going back on a message board and question opinions? 

Hmm... I must have missed your apology one from last week where the defense won us the game... Thanks bud.

• Plus1 1

On 11/21/2020 at 7:10 PM, Wistrom Disciple said:

Not today but I think your straw argument about rankings telling the story is wrong. Is this what you do, spend hours going back on a message board and question opinions? 

Hmm... I must have missed your apology one from last week where the defense won us the game... Thanks bud.

The same defense that gave up 500 yards in the win. Defend away, sport. 

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, KCBuc said:

The same defense that gave up 500 yards in the win. Defend away, sport. 

Largely due to a miscalculated coaching decision to let Penn State run as much as they wanted. If we call that game the same way in the second half on offense and defense, it's a whole different ball game. We were basically playing prevent defense for most of the second half, you're going to give up yards that way if the opposing team is willing to run, and Penn State was. 

• Fire 1

If you are trying to say Chin’s defense sucked at UCF and sucks now...I agree.  It is why I was against the hire from the beginning. He’s constantly bad. Yards don’t matter and points apparently don’t either. Was the plan to play surrender defense and hopefully Frost outguns them with speed? This is the Big 10. NU needs a stout a defense. NU needs big time coordinators on both sides of the ball. I can’t see why anyone has faith that he is going to build a top 20 defense. NU is 13th against the run in the league. Let’s see what he does this week. 

9 hours ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

I think @Husker in WI provided solid reasoning above. In addition, yards don't matter to this staff as they gave up outrageous stats at UCF. The key difference between then and now is that our offense couldn't hold a candle to the way UCF was able to score points. 

56 minutes ago, KCBuc said:

If you are trying to say Chin’s defense sucked at UCF and sucks now...I agree.  It is why I was against the hire from the beginning. He’s constantly bad. Yards don’t matter and points apparently don’t either. Was the plan to play surrender defense and hopefully Frost outguns them with speed? This is the Big 10. NU needs a stout a defense. NU needs big time coordinators on both sides of the ball. I can’t see why anyone has faith that he is going to build a top 20 defense. NU is 13th against the run in the league. Let’s see what he does this week. 

I think you're missing the point. The plan is not to play surrender defense (s/o Bob Diaco) but to have an aggressive defense with high pressure in hopes of securing turnovers. The structure and philosophy is the same as Alabama. Defend between the tackles well, forcing runs out and try to prevent deep passes. In order for it to work, they need a high scoring offense that controls the game. Failure on the offensive side almost assuredly will lead to defensive failure as more plays and possessions lead to more risk or defensive miscues. 

But to your question, yes the plan was for Frost's offense to explode and make games high scoring affairs. At UCF they were able to succeed offensively and put pressure on other teams to keep up. When opponents couldn't keep up, they would start forcing things and errors would lead to turnovers. In 2017, UCF was 1st in offense and 53rd in defense. They were 105th in Time of Possession but 2nd in Turnovers caused. They never scored less than 30 points in 2017. As a head coach, Frost has never lost when scoring at least 35 points. We have scored 35 points or more just six times the past two and a half years. 

You can dislike Chins to your heart's content but until our offense figures out how to break the seal on scoring, we're going to struggle quite a bit.

• Plus1 2