Penn State Week Pressers

knapplc

2 minutes ago, Undone said:

Well, nevertheless...Fleming looked great. Clearly gets open quick and is shifty & fast in space. Have to love that.

i thought he looked pretty good as well.  He looked like he belonged out there.  Some guys are just gamers.  I did like the catch Betts had where it was pretty high but he met the ball instead of waiting for it like some of the other guys seem to do so they can get tackled right after they catch it.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Guessing those might start working when you have scholarship receivers on the field with him instead of walk ons no one is worried about guarding.

Obviously, the comment Frost made today about young guys not knowing the playbook makes this tougher, but this is spot on. If you can cover those walk on guys one on one it makes it easy to not only double team Wan'Dale to take him away, but also makes it easier to stuff the box and stop the run.

8 hours ago, knapplc said:

Haven't we been hearing this for 15 years now?  20?

Yes, we’ve been hearing this for a long time. But the problem this week is it’s not applicable to the Northwestern game. We simply had no foot and couldn’t begin to find their neck. I never felt we were in any position to put them away. It was just a pile of errors, penalties and bad play calling imo. Undisciplined and uninspired.  Fix those things and we can begin talking about finishing off teams.....again. The only reason the game was close at all is because Northwestern basically sucks. Sure they don’t kill themselves and play good D but they’re extremely mediocre.

This may be the most annoyed I’ve been with the usual X player played well, Y player is showing his stuff and Z player is almost there. It’s BS. We got handled by frikken Northwestern. Completely unacceptable at this point. They can save the sunshine blowing for somebody else’s a$$. I’d have more respect if they just said we sucked and that game was unacceptable.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Yes, we’ve been hearing this for a long time. But the problem this week is it’s not applicable to the Northwestern game. We simply had no foot and couldn’t begin to find their neck. I never felt we were in any position to put them away. It was just a pile of errors, penalties and bad play calling imo. Undisciplined and uninspired.  Fix those things and we can begin talking about finishing off teams.....again. The only reason the game was close at all is because Northwestern basically sucks. Sure they don’t kill themselves and play good D but they’re extremely mediocre.

This may be the most annoyed I’ve been with the usual X player played well, Y player is showing his stuff and Z player is almost there. It’s BS. We got handled by frikken Northwestern. Completely unacceptable at this point. They can save the sunshine blowing for somebody else’s a$$. I’d have more respect if they just said we sucked and that game was unacceptable.

I know what you're saying, and I was there too during the game, but after a rewatch this legit might be one of the best teams Fitz has ever fielded. Defensively they definitely are. Those guys were almost always in position, they wrapped up on tackles and didn't allow YAC, and they were sound.

We have the better athletes and should have won, but this ain't Bo and Riley's Northwestern. I think we'll realize that by season's end, or I'll look like a fool. :lol:

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I know what you're saying, and I was there too during the game, but after a rewatch this legit might be one of the best teams Fitz has ever fielded. Defensively they definitely are. Those guys were almost always in position, they wrapped up on tackles and didn't allow YAC, and they were sound.

We have the better athletes and should have won, but this ain't Bo and Riley's Northwestern. I think we'll realize that by season's end, or I'll look like a fool. :lol:

And they definitely played great defense last year, also. They just didn't have an offense last season.

2 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I don’t disagree. But sonuva..., there is nobody in the B1G West with the exception of Wisconsin (and not even them this year). I am just so effin tired of struggling with teams like......I was going to list them and then realized it would be all of the teams in our division. Nobody thought we would ever struggle like this against the mediocre west. I am so sick and tired of losing games to teams who only do two freakin simple things we haven’t been able to master. They don’t beat themselves and somehow they play hard week in and week out. I can take getting beat but I really struggle with not showing up and beating ourselves.

• Plus1 1

Completely agree with you but yesterday I was shamed for saying the exact same thing. Northwestern is not a good team. They are OK at best. They play smart and boring football. We are just not clicking as a team and have issues in all phases of the game. Our defense is the only good thing I saw thus far. Also, can we please get a special teams coach that can actually coach? We must have the worst special teams in the nation. They have been horrible for over six years now. Can’t Frost see that? Do we need to chip in for lasik!?

2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

16 hours ago, Undone said:

Well, well, well...

So there you go. The fan's favorite player (the backup QB) gets a chance and gets us into the wrong formation on the two yard line. This actually makes me feel just a little bit better, because it looked like our line didn't make an effort to block, but now there seems to be a better explanation.

To the bold, Husker in WI - bingo.

Sorry but I will take that mistake once a game along with his other snaps vs the game AM played.  

• Plus1 2
8 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I don’t disagree. But sonuva..., there is nobody in the B1G West with the exception of Wisconsin (and not even them this year). I am just so effin tired of struggling with teams like......I was going to list them and then realized it would be all of the teams in our division. Nobody thought we would ever struggle like this against the mediocre west. I am so sick and tired of losing games to teams who only do two freakin simple things we haven’t been able to master. They don’t beat themselves and somehow they play hard week in and week out. I can take getting beat but I really struggle with not showing up and beating ourselves.

Agreed. Most of the game I was sitting there wishing Frost would become coach Boone and make em run a mile for every mistake. Sometimes I think he's too buddy, buddy and should have been a hard a$$ until his culture was fully established.

9 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

That's largely because Nebraska fans can't digest the fact that Nebraska is at best a mediocre team.  It's disappointing, but that's the state of husker football right now.  I'm sick of losing to Northwestern, too, but that is our reality as fans for the next 1 to 3 years.  I hope I'm wrong, but until we're consistently getting top 10 recruiting classes, or developing underrated guys like Wisconsin, our future is a mediocre team that will gladly take an 8 win season.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, MasterPulverizer said:

That's largely because Nebraska fans can't digest the fact that Nebraska is at best a mediocre team.  It's disappointing, but that's the state of husker football right now.  I'm sick of losing to Northwestern, too, but that is our reality as fans for the next 1 to 3 years.  I hope I'm wrong, but until we're consistently getting top 10 recruiting classes, or developing underrated guys like Wisconsin, our future is a mediocre team that will gladly take an 8 win season.

It's not going to be 1 to 3 years. We have the talent right now. We lack discipline and consistency. Scott isn't wrong when he says this team is ready to turn the corner. It's obvious to anyone watching objectively.  They just need to find a way to do it.

• Plus1 2