Biden's 1st 100 days & his 1st Year legislative agenda

Biden's First 100 days  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 minutes ago, jaws said:

Engineering isn't for everyone.

I can't say that I am seeing that where I work and our placement rates within the field are really high. I have friends in industry that have a hard time finding engineers, even some with little or no experience. It may also depend on the engineering disciple. A mechanical or electrical might have an easier time finding something with good/great compensation more so than a civil. Some of it is their willingness to go where the jobs are.

Engineering isn't even for a lot of those who can graduate. I would say placement of my class was probably pretty high too. But to get the economic gains that people are being charged for, you need continued gainful employment over at least 15-20 years of your career. I am not seeing that in my field now that we are in economic pandemic pause not far from the great recession. Personally my firm has never been better, but we are minding our p's and q's because our clients revenue could be drying up. We are always looking for talented individuals, but we aren't really on a hiring spree. Other firms have been shuttering people quickly as some of the big boys don't seem to be doing as well.

Lots of anecdotal stuff, but I think the value as a whole for a engineering degree probably is only worth it for the best in their field. Both my siblings also got engineering degrees and neither one made it to ten years either. 

9 hours ago, deedsker said:

Engineering isn't even for a lot of those who can graduate. I would say placement of my class was probably pretty high too. But to get the economic gains that people are being charged for, you need continued gainful employment over at least 15-20 years of your career. I am not seeing that in my field now that we are in economic pandemic pause not far from the great recession. Personally my firm has never been better, but we are minding our p's and q's because our clients revenue could be drying up. We are always looking for talented individuals, but we aren't really on a hiring spree. Other firms have been shuttering people quickly as some of the big boys don't seem to be doing as well.

Lots of anecdotal stuff, but I think the value as a whole for a engineering degree probably is only worth it for the best in their field. Both my siblings also got engineering degrees and neither one made it to ten years either. 

Did the field become over saturated? That always seemed like a degree that you couldn't go wrong with.

3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I have two nephews with specialty engineering degrees ages 24 and 27 and both are making over 6 figures.  

I'd like to see the actual data but am just too lazy to look at it. I assume deedsker isn't just imagining things. My sibling is making 6 figures but it took longer than that. I think the type of engineering might matter too. I was an engineering student for 1 year and I remember looking it up and bio systems engineering looked good at the time, civil engineering not as much.

So, I was going back and forth on this for awhile but it dawned on me that I was being stupid. The Democrats absolutely should do everything they can to investigate and prosecute Trump. They need to stop with the "they go low we go high" bulls#!t which was a lie anyway. Look at what the GOP did with Clinton and f#&%ing do that, only this time the things they'll be investigating are actually real issues. The GOP investigated her e-mails for something like 6 years. They have dozens of more important things than that to investigate Trump for. They need to do everything legal in their power to stop Trump from having a 2nd term as president.

• Plus1 1

6 hours ago, Frott Scost said:

Biden wont do s#!t. Hes bringing back the same losers from the Obama era that got us Trump in the first place and it will lead to a worse Trump in the long run. Hold on tight, America, because the ride is just beginning. 

It really does seem like we are a hop, skip, and a jump away from a Republican autocracy. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, mrandyk said:

It really does seem like we are a hop, skip, and a jump away from a Republican autocracy. 

We need the Democrats to win the senate or have some willing members of the GOP in order to strength the checks and balances, but even if we had that I don't know if they have enough brains to actually get it done.

On 11/20/2020 at 10:09 AM, GSG said:

If you're going to make the price of a degree dependent on the salary of the career, then teachers ought to get their degrees for free

Sooooo many times in my career I have seen (usually a smoke show) first year teacher that just graduated from Creighton with her teaching degree...

Of course, they tend to only teach for 2-3 years before they either get married or realize they hate it.  But they have spent a ton on a private college.