End of season in jeopardy?

HANC

Treatments and medicine have improved considerably.  My 71 year old mom just had it.  Spent a couple days in the hospital.  Received medication/oxygen and was almost 100% recovered in a week.  She has several underlying conditions.  Step dad has had 2 major heart attacks and also has lung issues from 50 years of smoking.  He got it, received medication but stayed home, and was over it in less than a week.  The vast majority of people will be fine- our society needs to learn how to live again without being terrified.  This is a virus that will be with us for the rest of our lives.... may as well learn to deal with it.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 4
12 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

One thing is for sure, if any conferences do decide to cancel the remainder of the season, the B1G will be the first in line. If tOSU happens to get a 3rd game cancelled, that'll be the end for sure.

It’s definitely clear the SEC, ACC, Big 12 made the smartest decision starting their seasons when they did. Covid was low and got most of their season in already. So financially they are in decent shape vs big 10 starting up right when 2nd wave of Covid started 

• Plus1 4

1 minute ago, Hilltop said:

Treatments and medicine have improved considerably.  My 71 year old mom just had it.  Spent a couple days in the hospital.  Received medication/oxygen and was almost 100% recovered in a week.  She has several underlying conditions.  Step dad has had 2 major heart attacks and also has lung issues from 50 years of smoking.  He got it, received medication but stayed home, and was over it in less than a week.  The vast majority of people will be fine- our society needs to learn how to live again without being terrified.  This is a virus that will be with us for the rest of our lives.... may as well learn to deal with it.  

Amazing one post could pack in so much misinformation.  

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

It’s definitely clear the SEC, ACC, Big 12 made the smartest decision starting their seasons when they did. Covid was low and got most of their season in already. So financially they are in decent shape vs big 10 starting up right when 2nd wave of Covid started 

Agree 100%.  The B1G really messed up when they pumped the brakes at the wrong time.  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
Just now, Scarlet said:

Amazing one post could pack in so much misinformation.  

So my mom and step dad having the virus and recovering is mis information?  Should I post their medical records for you to view?  STFU

Or the misinformation on improved treatments?  

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/09/20/914374901/advances-in-icu-care-are-saving-more-patients-who-have-covid-19

What exactly was incorrect in my post?  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 3

5 minutes ago, runningblind said:

My wife is a nurse, and a good friend is an ER doc in Omaha. While I, and they do as well, fully agree with you that folks are recovering/treatment is so much improved but that still isn't the point right now.  The point is not overwhelming the hospital systems and preventing access to beds and treatments for folks with other issues.  My wife's hospital is already back to April Covid bed use and they are having to stop most surgeries.  They will still do life threatening ones of course but other things get put off. Things like chemotherapy become much more difficult and dangerous in an overflowing hospital for immunocompromised people.  If this was just a normal yearly issue at normal levels I would totally agree, let it run it's course like the flu.  But when it overwhelms the whole system it causes trickle down issues.  The doctors and nurses are more than burnt out by this point as well.  This is also about doing our part for those people.

Completely understand your point of view and appreciate the well thought out response.

I'm not suggesting that people completely stop living responsibly or stop being careful.  I especially think those with underlying conditions, or those in the higher age classes, need to be very careful.  We were all very scared when my mom was in the hospital.  For the record, she has only left the house to get groceries or to go to the doctor since this all started.  She always wears a mask and has almost zero contact with others.    

My point is we need to stop living in fear as a society.  Do what is necessary to keep hospitals running, but stop with the doom and gloom close everything down and live in the basement mentality.  There is no reason to stop football, pull kids out of school, etc, because no matter what mandates are implemented, we aren't going to control this nations youth.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, runningblind said:

My wife is a nurse, and a good friend is an ER doc in Omaha. While I, and they do as well, fully agree with you that folks are recovering/treatment is so much improved but that still isn't the point right now.  The point is not overwhelming the hospital systems and preventing access to beds and treatments for folks with other issues.  My wife's hospital is already back to April Covid bed use and they are having to stop most surgeries because they don't have enough beds.  They will still do life threatening ones of course but other things get put off. Things like chemotherapy become much more difficult and dangerous in an overflowing hospital for immunocompromised people.  If this was just a normal yearly issue at normal levels I would totally agree, let it run it's course like the flu.  But when it overwhelms the whole system it causes trickle down issues.  The doctors and nurses are more than burnt out by this point as well.  This is also about doing our part for those people.

Can confirm. Wife and I both work in the hospitals. Things weren't too terrible in March/April when the original lockdown occurred. It was necessary in places like NYC at the time, but now is our crunch time. Elective surgeries are being put on hold, as many of you know, these aren't live saving surgeries, but they are needed for quality of life. We're so much better at treating COVID, this is true, but that doesn't solve the problem of needing hospital beds/staff/supplies. I don't like getting political in these threads, but now is the time for stimulus money for citizens and small businesses - and unfortunately we need to crackdown on bars, restaurants and social gatherings. I think you would be hard pressed to find a Doc, Nurse, RT, CNA, Phlebotomist, PT, OT, Etc that would disagree with me on that. I honestly think we can continue with football, basketball - without crowds. Just need to crackdown on places where uncontrolled spread is happening and bridge the gap to spring/vaccine. Just my 2 cents. 

• Plus1 6
51 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

So my mom and step dad having the virus and recovering is mis information?  Should I post their medical records for you to view?  STFU

Or the misinformation on improved treatments?  

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/09/20/914374901/advances-in-icu-care-are-saving-more-patients-who-have-covid-19

What exactly was incorrect in my post?  

First of all because you know two people who have recovered doesn't constitute scientific data.  That's anecdotal, nothing more.

Secondly you have no idea what the outcome of this virus will be when it appears a very effective vaccine is on the horizon.  The disinformation of we just need to put our heads down and plow through may in fact lead to people dropping their guard when if they practiced caution for a few more months, tens of thousands of not hundreds of thousands of lives could be saved.

Personally I'm scheduled for rotator cuff surgery in a couple of weeks.  With the way things are going I'm having my doubts that I'll even get in.  Where's that scenario in your analysis of the data?  

• Plus1 4