End of season in jeopardy?

HANC

44 minutes ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

Yep, exactly.  Two friends of mine, their fathers have passed away from the virus recently.   Less than two weeks ago, a friend from college in her 40's lost her life to Covid-19 and leaves behind a young daughter.  Everyone has pandemic fatigue at this point but we need to keep following science and caring about other people.  

This pandemic has really exposed how anti-science and selfish a significant portion of our citizens are.   

I just don't get it.   Most of the anti-maskers are the loudest "open up our city" complainers.   Yet they defy the 2nd best way (after a vaccine) to actually open things up.

*sigh* 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

7 hours ago, CAHusker said:

I’m doing it, but I am sick of the phrase “follow the science”!  

Yeah, some of the catchphrases are getting tiresome. Our school sends out multiple emails a week that still say some variation of "we're all in this together!" Ugh.

But constant reinforcement is an effective form of communication. That's why advertising works. That's why so many people believe the obvious lies of politicians if they just keep repeating the lie over and over. 

So yes, we need to keep up the message of "follow the science." But if you don't like that one, there are others. How about "listen to the experts" or "don't be a selfish a$$hole." 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

11 hours ago, drfish said:

6.  I would have no problem with people refusing to wear masks if the mask protected them and not the others around them.  If you want to take a health risk, fine.  You are an adult and you can make your own decisions.  However, the decision not to wear a mask is a decision to put the people around you at risk and you don't have a valid right to do that.

This is the thing that gets me.

Interesting article showing the current status of COVID cases in counties that host a Power 5 Conference team.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/sports/ncaaf/2020/11/13/college-football-covid-19-cases-jump-big-ten-big-12-counties/6270975002/

In fact, data analysis conducted by Emory's Rollins School of Public Health for USA TODAY found that the counties in which Power Five schools are located have seen an even larger spike in COVID-19 cases than the nationwide average, with communities in the Big Ten and Big 12 experiencing the most dramatic increases in their seven-day averages of daily new cases per 100,000 residents. 

P5Covid.thumb.png.70d75723a3303ce6ed66cb4c4d70d3a7.pngP5CovidRates.thumb.png.d543cc9b010c8de40af7c225fa911146.png

Interesting that currently the new case per day rate/100K residents in Lancaster County is 3x higher than Los Angeles County. The bolded number is the new cases/day/100K residents over the last 7 days.

Univ  County Cases Change*
Illinois Champaign 80 65%
Indiana Monroe 38 60%
Iowa Johnson 107 144%
Maryland Prince George's 21 36%
Michigan Washtenaw 31 49%
Michigan State Ingham 35 58%
Minnesota Hennepin 71 74%
Nebraska Lancaster 65 47%
Northwestern Cook 81 55%
Ohio State Franklin 43 56%
Penn State Centre 31 38%
Purdue Tippecanoe 78 59%
Rutgers Middlesex 24 30%
Wisconsin Dane 72 21%

Univ County Cases Change*
Arizona Pima 26 30%
Arizona State Maricopa 26 43%
California-Berkeley Alameda 8 37%
Colorado Boulder 48 60%
Oregon Lane 12 44%
Oregon State Benton 10 117%
Stanford Santa Clara 11 56%
UCLA Los Angeles 20 47%
USC Los Angeles 20 47%
Utah Salt Lake 91 43%
Washington King 20 80%
Washington State Whitman 24 35%

• Thanks 1

Cities in the midwest (where COVID is rising significantly compared to the coasts) with large university populations.  Yes, they have football teams.  They also have thousands of students who are more prone to party and ignore prevention recommendations.  This is probably cherry picking data (using the data that support your premise while ignoring the data that do not support it (Americans have become very good at this) and cum hoc ergo propter hoc logical fallacy (occurring together, therefore there is a causal relationship.  Does anybody REALLY believe that it is due to football teams spreading virus and not irresponsible general college population spreading virus?  If anything, the virus rates in all 5 conferences and the timing of the start of play suggests that the two are not related since the relationship to 1st game played and increases are much different.  Relating COVID spikes to FBS power 5 football is not supported by an initial look at the data.  If it was football related, then the curves in all the conferences should begin at roughly similar intervals from the onset of play.  I would argue that the graph shows the opposite.  There is no consistent relationship between the onset of games in power 5 conferences and the onset of spikes in cases.

• Plus1 4

At this point, I care less about cases and more about outcomes. 

the cases of this will go on forever, as far as we know. 

the outcomes of those cases has changed dramatically. Give me the outcomes of the cases. 

Of ALL cases, what are the outcome?