*** Official Penn State Game Thread ***

Mavric

2 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

I see the entire team looking at the sidelines waiting for plays as the clock ticks down very often.  I see confusion in personnel packages very often.  I am very concerned about these simple game management issues. 

and continual time outs on first downs? 

NU was trying to kill clock in the 4th quarter, so the offense is checking if the play is changing while the play clock is winding down.

I don't know why the offense can't come on the field after a kickoff cleanly, and I agree it's very frustrating.

1 minute ago, krc1995 said:

PSU’s starting QB was our key to victory. Without him, we lose. 

Yes, that's true, but credit NU into creating mistakes and taking advantage of those mistakes.

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't mind passing it on 3rd down, because a first down takes another minute off the clock (Penn State had 1 remaining timeout).  Falck was open coming across the formation, and Luke missed him.  I hate it when teams plunge the ball 3 times into the line, just to take timeouts from the opponent.

Make them use the TO's.  An offensive "mind" like Frost should be able to be more creative running the ball and clock than calling 3 plunges into the line, especially when PSU owned that part of the line all game long

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

NU was trying to kill clock in the 4th quarter, so the offense is checking if the play is changing while the play clock is winding down.

I don't know why the offense can't come on the field after a kickoff cleanly, and I agree it's very frustrating.

Not exclusive to this week, though. 

agree about frustrating, I would think as the staff matures and adjusts to the B10, these issues would go away, but they don’t. 

7 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

Nice for the team to get off the snide with a win.

This is NOT the same PSU squad many figured on seeing this year, but take the win.

However, a whole lot of questions still exist.  

There are a lot of questions about the offense, but PSU is still a good squad. They played well against Ohio State and Indiana. 

2 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

It wasn’t me, but IIRC I do remember a fellow B1G coach calling Franklin out and saying this would eventually happen at Penn State last year in the “anonymous coaches’ takes” that some B1G writers gather before the season starts. 

Looks like the coach was right, but just a season too early. That and it sounds like a comment PJ Fleck would ironically make. 

Also, just got done with soccer. Love having an undefeated group of girls that go after the ball and work together. Reminds me of Leicester City 2015. 

What?

1 minute ago, PaulCrewe said:

Make them use the TO's.  An offensive "mind" like Frost should be able to be more creative running the ball and clock than calling 3 plunges into the line, especially when PSU owned that part of the line all game long

Frost did make them use one timeout after 2nd down.  On 3rd down, a short pass was called to get a first down, and Luke missed an open receiver which would have gotten the first down.  The offense is still not in great shape overall, but I don't see how Frost mismanaged the situation at the end of the 4th quarter.

Just now, krc1995 said:

You know what though- it’s better than a loss. Especially to them. They’re dirty. 

:cheers

• Plus1 2
16 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Other than the timeouts on first downs, where did Frost manage the clock poorly today?  The first timeout was caused when a captain (Warner) didn't go on the field as part of the formation.

Delay of game on the last field goal.  Seemed that the offense was slow getting off the field like Frost was trying to decide to maybe go for it.

17 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Do you all think Luke is the answer? I guess he has the win, but his arm is not good. Maybe that’s why we don’t have a deep threat. 

Hopefully he looks at the film and figures out how he got dominated in the second half. As far as arm strength, who would he throw it to? While we're asking, is Martinez the answer? It's like Darnell on Black Jeopardy, "Relax, what we got is what we got."

Just now, Rochelobe said:

Delay of game on the last field goal.  Seemed that the offense was slow getting off the field like Frost was trying to decide to maybe go for it.

Yes, but with that short of a FG another 5 yards back wasn't going to really matter.  If anything it gives the kicker a better angle.  NU only had 5 penalties for 39 yards, and one of those 5-yarders was a voluntary delay of game before a punt.

1 minute ago, Hayseed said:

Hopefully he looks at the film and figures out how he got dominated in the second half. As far as arm strength, who would he throw it to? While we're asking, is Martinez the answer? It's like Darnell on Black Jeopardy, "Relax, what we got is what we got."

Betts, flemming? Maybe no one can throw it more than 20.