McCaffrey's 1st Start

admo

4 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

If you want to talk about intangibles that's fine but if Martinez started today and had that exact same game people would be s#!tting on him real hard. 

Agreed. Honestly thought we were coming into the season with two potentially great QBs and we currently seem to have two average ones with opposite issues of the other. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 3

Not ready to throw him in the hall of fame just yet.  But the point of the OP topic for game 1.....

During the 1st half Luke brought the juice.  You could see his energy and play making ability permeate the team.  27-6 at halftime against Penn State.  And overall I thought he played pretty well, although the play calling and pace took a serious slow nose dive in the 2nd half. 

Again, it's his first shot as QB1.  Not too shabby.

And you know he was nervous, even though it wasn't really brought up.

I also thought Adrian Martinez played real well his first start too, against Colorado years ago.  The sky was the limit.  It was exciting.  But he got hurt in the second half of that game as we know, but it was encouraging play from his 1st start as well.  

I don't see a huge difference after one game so far, but I do see an important one.  Winners in charge usually end up on the winning side of things.  No matter who helps getting it done.  QB1 heads the team towards victory, and they all feed off of him and do their thing to get it done together.  Even if QB1 struggles at times.  And that's something you can't teach because it's infectious. 

So I would say, overall, a nice win, a good start, and optimism for growth. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

If you want to talk about intangibles that's fine but if Martinez started today and had that exact same game people would be s#!tting on him real hard. 

Maybe, but a lot less so than in losses, and this is his 3rd year. 3rd year starters catch more flack than 1 game starters. The same goes with coaches. Frost is taking more s#!t this year than he took his 1st year.

• Plus1 5

It was his first start and he had a good first half. Second half different story. They figured out he can't pass, have no wide receivers, our O-Line can't block, either Luke is going to run or Wandell is. Pick one. 

I don't know if Luke starts the next game, but Frost has to give him more options. jmo

GBR!!!

• Plus1 4

13 minutes ago, huskered17 said:

It was his first start and he had a good first half. Second half different story. They figured out he can't pass, have no wide receivers, our O-Line can't block, either Luke is going to run or Wandell is. Pick one. 

I don't know if Luke starts the next game, but Frost has to give him more options. jmo

GBR!!!

You really believe he can't pass ?  Really ?  Give the kid some time, you might be surprised.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

If they can't get Betts on the field more...the game plan will be the same.  Press coverage and crowd the line of scrimmage.  Luke is not beating anyone with his arm.

Except all the beautiful long balls thrown last year on rollouts. Funny thing is, I believe JD was on the receiving end. 

I wonder what is missing now that we can’t get the ball deep...

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

If they can't get Betts on the field more...the game plan will be the same.  Press coverage and crowd the line of scrimmage.  Luke is not beating anyone with his arm.

Betts should be in on every down, with some situational exceptions. If nothing else he gives the D something to think about 

• Fire 1