McCaffrey's 1st Start

admo

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Agreed, he is really good, he was great at Bell West.  Once he gets more weight room time, he will be a freak.

If he struggles blocking because he lacks strength, then just run him deep to take the corner or safety with him.  Same result. HS coaching trick right teach?  lol

(I realize the B1G is not HS and it probably wouldn't work as well)

Luke did just fine for a first start.  It wasn't a good spiral on the Warner drop but geez ... that was on Kade, not Luke.  He threw two balls that were potential INT's in my critical eye.

In the end, it seems that those who want Martinez to be the QB are a bit too nitpicky for a first start.  Then, those who want Luke perhaps could give kudos for his energy and leadership yet see much room for growth in his potential.

I personally see them as both #2 QB's.  For me, I'm moving forward with Luke and committing to him for at least the first half of the next game.  It's his to lose.  I wish that Martinez could/would be out there in a WR type role or there could be a switch here or there as a change-up during a drive ... but it has to be fluid and a commitment to Luke as the starter has to be established in that view/thought.

For me, I don't see the improvement to the degree others do for the defense.  501 yards is a hell of a lot of yards ... and 30 first downs.  Crazy [please don't throw the bones].

15 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

For me, I don't see the improvement to the degree others do for the defense.  501 yards is a hell of a lot of yards ... and 30 first downs.  Crazy [please don't throw the bones].

Agree.   100%.  PSU moved the ball at will in the second half.  Other than the late red zone stands, there wasn’t much to like after halftime.   

He did well in his first start.  he does appears to move the O at a faster pace and bring more energy. A lot of the tempo went away as we got off of the scripted plays.  Lack of a vertical passing games hurts.  Badly. Regardless of who the QB is. Our running game is non-existent IMHO.  Again, hard to run against an 11 man box.....Our OL struggles at times as did the high snaps.  IMHO, Luke didn't run away with the QB position. The same problems mentioned also plague AM and I saw similar results.  IMHO, the common thread with both QB's (and I beat this dead horse) is Frost and his play calling and Coach V........Run Betts and Fleming deep just to run the safeties off....Watching Wisky use the FB and utterly destroy Michigan brought a tear to my eyes.....Frost needs some serious help to design a definitive O that works against the B1G.  His scheme, talent or not will not win the B1G in its current configuration. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
41 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

If he struggles blocking because he lacks strength, then just run him deep to take the corner or safety with him.  Same result. HS coaching trick right teach?  lol

I know Frost lived HS coaching growing growing up, but I think a year or two spent coaching HS would have benefited his repertoire of coaching techniques.   HS coaches are cagey. 

8 minutes ago, lo country said:

He did well in his first start.  he does appears to move the O at a faster pace and bring more energy. A lot of the tempo went away as we got off of the scripted plays.  Lack of a vertical passing games hurts.  Badly. Regardless of who the QB is. Our running game is non-existent IMHO.  Again, hard to run against an 11 man box.....Our OL struggles at times as did the high snaps.  IMHO, Luke didn't run away with the QB position. The same problems mentioned also plague AM and I saw similar results.  IMHO, the common thread with both QB's (and I beat this dead horse) is Frost and his play calling and Coach V........Run Betts and Fleming deep just to run the safeties off....Watching Wisky use the FB and utterly destroy Michigan brought a tear to my eyes.....Frost needs some serious help to design a definitive O that works against the B1G.  His scheme, talent or not will not win the B1G in its current configuration. 

What us with the high snaps by Jergen's?  If we are going to add some discipline, I'm having him run a mile at a 10:00 clip for each one.  It could be a worse consequence and I would be fine with it.  

Ya, sad to see the power running game of Wisky work and we are finesse.

57 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Agree.   100%.  PSU moved the ball at will in the second half.  Other than the late red zone stands, there wasn’t much to like after halftime.   

You guys realize psu ran 91 plays right? And we still managed to hold them to less points than Ohio State did

• Plus1 5
1 hour ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

Ha!  I have known guys that rotate WR's every play, and on each play they just run them deep over and over, just to take the CB out of the play and wear them out.

• Plus1 1

One big thing that sticks out to me still - Warner shouldn't have dropped that ball in the end zone. McCaffrey put it right on him.

If we had been at 34 instead of 30 late in the fourth, it wouldn't have felt like a nail-biter, really. I wish for both of those guys that Warner would have caught that pass...

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
16 minutes ago, Swiv3D said:

You guys realize psu ran 91 plays right? And we still managed to hold them to less points than Ohio State did

Ya ... That is our point.  91 plays is a lot of plays ... led to 501 yards with 30 first downs.  There errors caused them to only score 23 points and to lose.  Basically, they did with us what we gave to NW.  If you are thinking we should have won that game ... Then perhaps one could conclude that Penn State could have [if not should have] won that game.  

Much improvement needed.  Better to win and "correct" ... But D has much to improve if this is "improvement".  They seemed to have their way in the second half ... That is all that is being implied.

There is no moral victory in comparing the points verses OSU for me.

43 minutes ago, Danimal said:

Frost gripping and going into "playing not to lose" mode killed our offense in the second-half. Need to stay on the damn gas. We've got athletes, need to get them the ball downfield some. 

Just the polar opposite of his off-season "play with reckless abandon and don't worry about the consequences" mantra to the players

2 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Ya ... That is our point.  91 plays is a lot of plays ... led to 501 yards with 30 first downs.  There errors caused them to only score 23 points and to lose.  Basically, they did with us what we gave to NW.  If you are thinking we should have won that game ... Then perhaps one could conclude that Penn State could have [if not should have] won that game.  

Much improvement needed.  Better to win and "correct" ... But D has much to improve if this is "improvement".  They seemed to have their way in the second half ... That is all that is being implied.

There is no moral victory in comparing the points verses OSU for me.

I'm not anointing the defense as back, but the offense had just as much to do with them getting back into the game as the young guys making young guys mistakes. 4 of 5 drives in the 2nd half were either 3 or 4 offensive plays then a punt. Thats awful when the opponent is trying to play power football