Omar Manning

HANC

23 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm not sure if this is specifically why he went JUCO (maybe there were grade issues..I don't know), but on his HS team, there were several players that were really highly recruited.  He was overlooked coming out of HS.

Interestingly, I think he's by far the most successful of the bunch.

Some are slower to mature physically and mentally than others. I was talking to an ex trainer in the Athletic Department and he said in his time he only saw two players that were physically mature enough to play as Freshman: Ahman Green and ?- can’t remember,  but he mentioned this player in now a police officer in Omaha of that helps. 

I think taking Juco’s high risk, high reward. They potentially bring baggage, but you better understand what your getting. Plus the parents might be somewhat removed. 

44 minutes ago, cornheadnation said:

Kind of flipping back in the history book a little, and I'm not suggesting that every JUCO guy should turn out like this, I'm purely just curious. But does anyone happen to know or remember what the reason was for Lavonte David going the JUCO route out of high school? Because he was one of the guys who was most definitely ready for the D-1 ranks when he got there coming out of JUCO.

From what I recall, he really didn't have the offers he wanted - Miami specifically. I think he chose juco to boost his stock instead of going somewhere like Florida Atlantic or UCF. No grade or character issues, just another chance to prove how good he was and get better offers. Could be a different decision with the portal today, could always shoot your shot at a smaller school and hope a bigger school comes calling. But there's no penalty for transferring up from a juco, and they expect you to leave. If a smaller school knows you're just trying to get a better offer, they may take issue with that.

3 minutes ago, MasterPulverizer said:

If he doesn't play in more than four games, does he have a redshirt to use?

This year doesn't count against anyone's eligibity.

On 11/16/2020 at 8:10 PM, admo said:

I don't follow the drama, and I don't understand the claim to fame so far.  Seems like many fans are holding their breathe onto one player.....a receiver.

It's just one dude out of 11 on a field, talented I'm sure, but many others are ready to get after it as well.  

Bottom line is this:   When opportunity knocks, whatchu gone do?

Just feels like we've lost a lot of promising players the last few years. Manning was the "next man up" when we lost Spielman. Bell was the next man up when we lost Tre Bryant. Washington was the next man up when we lost Bell. Mills was the next man up when we lost Washington. Is Mills hurt? Or not as effective as hoped? Is Marvin Scott III actually the next man up at RB? We're already moving away from our Heisman-touted Junior quarterback, and eying Logan Smothers as we wonder if Luke McCaffrey is next-man-up enough. 

So it's not really one player. Recruiting, depth, and retention is still an ongoing issue. 

• Plus1 2
Just now, Guy Chamberlin said:

Just feels like we've lost a lot of promising players the last few years. Manning was the "next man up" when we lost Spielman. Bell was the next man up when we lost Tre Bryant. Washington was the next man up when we lost Bell. Mills was the next man up when we lost Washington. Is Mills hurt? Or not as effective as hoped? Is Marvin Scott III actually the next man up at RB? We're already moving away from our Heisman-touted Junior quarterback, and eying Logan Smothers as we wonder if Luke McCaffrey is next-man-up enough. 

So it's not really one player. Recruiting, depth, and retention is still an ongoing issue. 

By all accounts Mills is a bit dinged up still from the NW game heard one of the radio guys say last week he played 81 snaps that game. Sounds like him and Thompkins are out for tomorrow. We really need someone to step up there, either Scott or Johnson because we can't expect Wan'Dale to carry the load like last week.

11 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Frost is 3 games in to his third season....with the first recruiting class mostly a bust.

We don't have the depth or development yet for "next man up" in the sense we were used to under Osborne 

The first quality class that has had one year of development now are redshirt freshmen.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, TheSker said:

Frost is 3 games in to his third season....with the first recruiting class mostly a bust.

We don't have the depth or development yet for "next man up" in the sense we were used to under Osborne 

The first quality class that has had one year of development now are redshirt freshmen.

And the two classes above his first year bust are major busts too with 2017 being basically non existent. Still need another year or two to really have that next man up option.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, krc1995 said:

Some are slower to mature physically and mentally than others. I was talking to an ex trainer in the Athletic Department and he said in his time he only saw two players that were physically mature enough to play as Freshman: Ahman Green and ?- can’t remember,  but he mentioned this player in now a police officer in Omaha of that helps. 

I think taking Juco’s high risk, high reward. They potentially bring baggage, but you better understand what your getting. Plus the parents might be somewhat removed. 

Some coaches will have certain #'s that dudes have to hit to play.  

Even in HS, they might not pull a young kid up if he can't bench or squat certain amounts...that would never be a problem for anyone on this site since we all were state champs and hold lifting records.

• Haha 4