Penn State - What Did We Learn?

knapplc

Defense is better than the offense.

The bend but don't break philosophy is brutally stressful to watch. Gotta get off the field more on 3rd down. That being said, they balled out! Especially in the 2nd half.

QB is going to be hot and cold the rest of the year.

They don't trust LMC to throw the ball.

We still have issues with high snaps.

I'll take Wandale in the backfield all day.

How can we not have the right people on the field or get lined up coming out of a TV time out after a kick off? 

The whole 3rd quarter was a sloppy mess on offense. I put that on the coaches. This is year 3.

Can we please stop with the Qb draw on 3rd down.

• Plus1 9

Just now, Undone said:

I have a feeling people will spend all week on this board talking about the reason we won this game being McCaffrey making the difference. And don't get me wrong, he did play well.

But our defense won this game. We haven't seen many displays of awareness and individual athleticism on defense like Williams' punch/scoop/score on this team in the past several year. That play won the game, in my opinion.

I could not believe Kade Warner dropped a "gimme" TD pass in the end zone...the game wouldn't have actually been a last-second nail-biter if he just hauls in that catch that hits him right in the numbers.

It is so fun to finally be able to break down a game that we actually won. Penn State is not as bad as their 0-3 record showed heading into this game; despite Parsons opting out and a couple injuries they still have four star talent all over in their program.

This is how I view Penn State.  They are a talented team, especially in the trenches.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

The defense is coming into its own. They are improving noticeably over past years. Chin still has his detractors, and they make good points, but as he gets more and more of his guys involved it's looking more and more like a squad that can hang in the Big Ten.

Notably, Penn State ran 25 plays in the Red Zone. They kicked three FGs and scored a TD.

When the Blackshirts had their backs against the wall, they got tough.

• Plus1 7
  • Fire 1

16 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

Out QB isn't the problem, but the way we call the O is.

I don't know...

Penn State's front seven are fast and strong. I think what happened was, no matter which RB we tried using (Mills, Thompkins, Scott, even Robinson), we just couldn't out-muscle them with our blocking.

If we had lost this game Frost would get absolutely murdered for play calling...but I think Penn State's run defense is just pretty good.

• Plus1 6
  • Fire 1

Defense is the strength of the team, they continue to show that. 

Luke played fine, but honestly missed some reads and his passing is ok at best. 54 of his 152 yards were on the shovel to Betts. It's probably his team for now but it's not night and day different from AM. Running game is hot garbage outside of the QB. 

The mistakes have got to get cleaned up. Coaches to captains making mistakes and that feeds to the rest of the team. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1