Penn State - What Did We Learn?

knapplc

1 minute ago, UniversalMartin said:

I would agree, although I think Luke is an upgrade from AM at this point, with that said our playcalling struggles to put either QB and the whole offensive in general in winning scenarios

I wonder some if the play calling was in part bases on what Luke can do. Honestly seemed like they called it a lot different than when AM has been in. 

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, UniversalMartin said:

I would agree, although I think Luke is an upgrade from AM at this point, with that said our playcalling struggles to put either QB and the whole offensive in general in winning scenarios

Luke is an upgrade over the current AM yes but it's clear they don't trust him to throw over 10 down the middle or down the sidelines.  Penn State was able to creep up and get consistent pressure because of that.  For this offense to be good you need those throws and they needed a good Martinez to do so.  That didn't happen and we will continue to be pretty mediocre until they figure that out.

The people drawing sides of coach/playcalling versus QB are making it too binary. Both problems feed into each other creating what we have.  The first scripted drive goes very well because they practice it over and over I bet.  After that things are very average.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

Our OL took a step back today.  McCaffrey did a great job of fielding those high snaps.  The whiff by Benhart was huge.  Hopefully chalk that up to inexperience.

Some of the personnel/play calls were frustrating to watch again.  After today I still do not feel W'andale Robinson is being utilized the way he should be.  

I still feel the coaching staff has a lot of room to improve.  I do think Nebraska has a lot of inexperience out there as well.  

I'll take the win and hopefully we work on getting things cleaned up both coaches and players.  I think just getting the new guys out there experience will go a long way also.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

Great stand by the D. JoJo, a dude.  Made plays all day.

Secondary and LB's played lights out.  Saved the day.

DL did well, but just wore out.  Another year of getting more guys. 

Chin?  Game ball.  I've bagged on his D the past 2 years, but with some players it's decent. More players will make it better. Just gotta get depth. Quality vs quantity...

The woe on O is not AM's fault.  Rest squarely with Frost.

Wan'Dale is dynamic, but not meant to bang between the tackles.

Kade-2 TD passes with 0 catches....

Betts is going to be a good one

In the off season re-tool O.  Forget the speed.  Find the power.  Hire an OC that knows the B1G or let Lubick do his thing.  Let Austin actually "run" the run game.

Lucky to have won that one.  But I will take it.  PSU, down or not, is still PSU.

• Plus1 6
  • Fire 1