Penn State - What Did We Learn?

knapplc

I don't know if this is something I learned but it is an observation about LMC and QB play today.

On our first drive it was 3rd and 4...and we false start bc/ why wouldn't we? That's Husker FB these days.

3rd and 9 and we call the Qb draw bc/ that play always fools people right now...and LMC breaks outside and picks up the first down and we go on to score. 

I don't think 2AM could've done that. At that moment I'm 100% Team LMC.

In the 2nd half we have a very limited set of plays we can call because we don't trust LMC to throw the ball and Penn State is creeping back in and I start wondering if we need 2AM to come throw the ball.

I know this is crazy fickle fan talk but admit it, bringing in 2AM crossed your mind. Especially if they tied it up. 

• Plus1 3

1 minute ago, macroboy said:

I don't know if this is something I learned but it is an observation about LMC and QB play today.

On our first drive it was 3rd and 4...and we false start bc/ why wouldn't we? That's Husker FB these days.

3rd and 9 and we call the Qb draw bc/ that play always fools people right now...and LMC breaks outside and picks up the first down and we go on to score. 

I don't think 2AM could've done that. At that moment I'm 100% Team LMC.

In the 2nd half we have a very limited set of plays we can call because we don't trust LMC to throw the ball and Penn State is creeping back in and I start wondering if we need 2AM to come throw the ball.

I know this is crazy fickle fan talk but admit it, bringing in 2AM crossed your mind. Especially if they tied it up. 

It definitely crossed my mind, as well, but I think Frost was going to stick with Luke no matter what.

• Plus1 1

Here is what I learned:

(1) Luke should start every game moving forward...he gives us the best chance at winning

(2) Our special teams continue to be mindnumbingly unspecial. We really need to invest heavily in this phase of our team

(3) play calling was very predictable in second half and had zero imagination. We need to develop more playmakers on offense. We can’t win all our games relying on Luke and Wandale. We need to develop our receivers and get them more reps. Also, our receivers should not drop sure touchdowns
(4) Our defense continues to show signs of improvement and they are the only reason that kept us in our games. They are doing more than enough to give us a decent chance at winning but our offense has been uncharacteristically anemic in the second half.

(5) when we do not commit more than 3 to 4 stupid fouls and we play smart, we can win games. When we have 10+ fouls a game, we can never win.

(6) Game management has been awful and that falls squarely on Frost. He wasted most of our time outs for being indecisive and not knowing who needs to be out there.

(7) DOMANN and HONAS are real studs and the heart of our defense

(8) if Luke started the game against Northwestern, we win for sure

(9) we continue to struggle tremendously in the red zone and Frost has been horrible in play calling when we get so close to scoring

(10) We won our first game this season,,,Yey...finally...

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

Just now, Atbone95 said:

Henrich was the guy who missed the tackle on the long run and looked just completely lost. Didn't touch anyone. 

I agree he had a bad play on that long run, but IMO he's just a better football player than Nelson.  Keep in mind that Henrich has only been playing OLB for a few weeks.  Also, Henrich is not exactly the same OLB position as Nelson.  So, I should say that Payne needs to see more PT, as I did post.

28 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

Out QB isn't the problem, but the way we call the O is.

^^^ This

Luke played fine but I’m afraid a bunch of fans will read way too much into the result. I think 2AM would’ve had an almost identical game and result. Neither one of our top 2 QBs are or have been anywhere near our top ten most pressing problems. I just thank God we had such a large lead going in to halftime.  Defense did what was needed in the 2nd half but our offensive play calling and woes still reared their ugly heads. Our issues are directly related to coaching. I love Frost and can’t imagine there is another coach in the country who would or could care as much about this program but they have some learning and adjusting to do.

• Plus1 3

Here is what I learned:

(1) Luke should start every game moving forward...he gives us the best chance at winning

(2) Our special teams continue to be mindnumbingly unspecial. We really need to invest heavily in this phase of our team

(3) play calling was very predictable in second half and had zero imagination. We need to develop more playmakers on offense. We can’t win all our games relying on Luke and Wandale. We need to develop our receivers and get them more reps. Also, our receivers should not drop sure touchdowns
(4) Our defense continues to show signs of improvement and they are the only reason that kept us in our games. They are doing more than enough to give us a decent chance at winning but our offense has been uncharacteristically anemic in the second half.

(5) when we do not commit more than 3 to 4 stupid fouls and we play smart, we can win games. When we have 10+ fouls a game, we can never win.

(6) Game management has been awful and that falls squarely on Frost. He wasted most of our time outs for being indecisive and not knowing who needs to be out there.

(7) DOMANN and HONAS are real studs and the heart of our defense

(8) if Luke started the game against Northwestern, we win for sure

(9) we continue to struggle tremendously in the red zone and Frost has been horrible in play calling when we get so close to scoring

(10) We won our first game this season,,,Yey...finally...

• Plus1 1