Penn State - What Did We Learn?

knapplc

This team is still very flawed, especially on offense. Luke had a good game, and is definitely a gamer, but I don't know that he can effectively push the ball down field, which will certainly be necessary.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the defense. There were only a couple busts today, and you saw glimpses of that playmaking ability from Frost's UCF defenses. You can't complain about two red zone stands to end the game. Props to Chinander, and the other defensive coaches.

It's fairly obvious that the young WR's should be the one's on the field. Betts looked good, and Alante Brown would of had a huge play if the Penn St. DL/LB didn't knock down one of Luke's passes.

The offensive play calling is.... interesting. Frost appears to be a fantastic at scripting the first drives of games, but then struggles as the game develops. Who knows. Maybe he's handicapped by Luke's passing ability, and the lack of big play ability at WR.

• Plus1 4
12 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I thought the special teams were solid today.  3 for 3 on FG's, good job on kickoff return, and a smart coaching job by having Taylor-Britt as the short return guy, which got a nice punt return.  Plus, Prysztup had a booming punt late in the game to make Penn State drive further down the field.

Regarding the red zone offense, Warner had a drop in the first quarter which should have been a TD.  After that, Frost was going conservative and making sure to score points.  I think Frost was spooked by the turnovers against Northwestern last week, and he admitted it in his post-game presser.

I agree with you. Special teams was solid all day.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, macroboy said:

Did anybody else think Wandale was going to score on the play where he got facemasked?

I could only see what the TV showed me but that one looked like he was gone.

I thought he could have scored.  It looked like he was breaking into the open.  I just don't know what the D was like beyond that Penn State d-end.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

-Kade  warner is allergic to catching the ball in the end zone.  

- still don’t have killer instinct or have learned how to win games

- disappointing at the RB spot.  Wandale can’t be our feature back for the year.  Need Mills to take that spot 
- Nelson was rough, that play by henrich that led to the big run was tough too. 

+We are pretty one dimensional with LM at QB but we can be effective. 

+Betts looks like he could grow into a big role as the year progresses. 
+Defense is getting better.  Tacked in space, got some pressure, challenged wrs. 
+Domann, Robinson, Honas and secondary. 
+ Beat a team with more talent than us and didn’t have to play perfect.  
+MY BEER TASTE A LITTLE BETTER, AND MY HANGOVER WILL FEEL A LITTLE BETTER WITH A HUSKER W!!!!   GBR!!

• Plus1 1
40 minutes ago, macroboy said:

I don't know if this is something I learned but it is an observation about LMC and QB play today.

On our first drive it was 3rd and 4...and we false start bc/ why wouldn't we? That's Husker FB these days.

3rd and 9 and we call the Qb draw bc/ that play always fools people right now...and LMC breaks outside and picks up the first down and we go on to score. 

I don't think 2AM could've done that. At that moment I'm 100% Team LMC.

In the 2nd half we have a very limited set of plays we can call because we don't trust LMC to throw the ball and Penn State is creeping back in and I start wondering if we need 2AM to come throw the ball.

I know this is crazy fickle fan talk but admit it, bringing in 2AM crossed your mind. Especially if they tied it up. 

Yes. It crossed my mind. I also felt that there was too much time spent looking over at the sidelines for directions. What is up with that? They had momentum, the PSU defense wasn’t ready and NU just stopped and looked over at the sidelines! Don’t they already know what they are supposed to do? That just drive me crazy! (Well, crazier. I have crazy written all over me! :lol:) I’ll take the win any day especially against them. They play dirty. I hate that. 

3 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

-Kade  warner is allergic to catching the ball in the end zone.  

- still don’t have killer instinct or have learned how to win games

- disappointing at the RB spot.  Wandale can’t be our feature back for the year.  Need Mills to take that spot 
- Nelson was rough, that play by henrich that led to the big run was tough too. 

+We are pretty one dimensional with LM at QB but we can be effective. 

+Betts looks like he could grow into a big role as the year progresses. 
+Defense is getting better.  Tacked in space, got some pressure, challenged wrs. 
+Domann, Robinson, Honas and secondary. 
+ Beat a team with more talent than us and didn’t have to play perfect.  
+MY BEER TASTE A LITTLE BETTER, AND MY HANGOVER WILL FEEL A LITTLE BETTER WITH A HUSKER W!!!!   GBR!!

Nebraska is nowhere near good enough at running the football for their current approach to continue working. They have to go down the field at some point.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, macroboy said:

Did anybody else think Wandale was going to score on the play where he got facemasked?

I could only see what the TV showed me but that one looked like he was gone.

I don't know if he would've put it in the end zone, but it would've been huge.

• Fire 1

Domann had another great game today and had some key stops. (13 TT) Heck Honas (12 TT) has been so much better this year and had a great day too.  Dismuke with 15 TT today.  Noa-Pola Gates sneaking in 2 tackles!

Hard to be mad at the D giving up 500 yards when we got crushed in time of possession.  Learned today that our D can be tough and looks a lot tougher than last year.  Regardless we've got some things to clean up there too.  They got tough at the end when it counted today though.

• Plus1 2