Penn State - What Did We Learn?

knapplc

14 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I think they did take him out, I looked for him some in the second half and he wasn't out there. He got a personal foul on the kick right after that clip. I get falling on the guy, but there's a difference between that and launching into his back. I don't know that hooking the leg was intentional, but realistically you're not hoping for good things to happen when you do that to a player. So I'm sure he didn't mind how it worked out. There's a strong case for targeting honestly - he lowered his head and launched into a defenseless player. 

Unfortunately, refs aren't used to looking for something like this from the line.  They key on QBs, RBs and WRs when getting hit.  

Personally, I think something like this should be able to be reviewed by the conference and punishment brought down after the game is over.  This is much more serious of an issue than so many hits that get penalized during the play with a player just trying to be aggressive like we saw in the OSU game with our DBs.  

• Plus1 1

15 hours ago, Mavric said:

I think Chaz pointed out a similar situation last week and noted that Jerald Foster got called for a personal foul for jumping on someone already on the ground a couple years ago.

I do believe that's a defenseless player...

• Plus1 1

We have a defense that is playing like they know and are comfortable with the scheme.   Haven’t been able to say that the past 2 years.  
We have, at minimum, a current or future all conference caliber defender at all three levels.  Ty, JoJo, Cam.  Again, haven’t seen that for a few years.  

12 hours ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

#69 was a **** the entire game and probably deserved some field level correction from the Blackshirts to even things up, but we'd get caught since the refs are usually all over us. :steam

Daniels was in the Penn State player's face after the next play when he was back on the field and several members of the Dline were crowding him before the refs stepped in. Thankfully our guys didn't do anything dumb and the series ended. 

Penn State also did pull him for the second half if I remember correctly.

C&P Penn State's entry on this week's ESPN Bottom Ten:

10. Pin State (0-4)

The Littany Nions lost to the team that was in this very spot one week ago, No-braska, one week after losing to Maryland, which the week before that beat Minnesota, whose only win this season is over Illinois, whose only win this season is over Rutgers, whose only win this season is over Michigan State, whose only win this season is over Michigan, whose only win this season is over Minnesota, which just lost 35-7 to Iowa, whose next game is, of course, against Penn State.

On 11/16/2020 at 11:59 AM, Jeremy said:

Discounting Betts' touchdown, McCaffrey went 12/20 for 107 yards. Frost and Crouch hit that yardage normally with far fewer passes. We will not be even close to elite doing what we're doing now, unable to stretch the field. Press coverage will kill us, evidenced by how PSU shut us down in the second half. McCaffrey was primarily a receiver in high school, and I'm not saying Martinez is any better. Our offensive line is blowing blocking assignments all over the place,  unsure who they are supposed to double on, and when to move up. Do you know what our best running play is so far this season? A counter play to McCaffrey, from under center, against Ohio State. 

Mills is no Ozigbo, but he's played fullback before, and I liken Wandale to a Keith 'end zone' Jones, shiftier even. Are you prepared to tell me it's better to run him between the tackles inside the 15 on a zone read than with a lead blocker? 

No.