Huskers open as 14 point favorites vs Illini

seaofred92

2 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

It will probably be ugly but I think we cover.  Illinois is hot garbage.

We have 3 games with 600+ yards of total offense, 2 against Illinois. I'm not going to quite predict that, but if we don't get a lot of yards and points I will have concerns. 

Our other 600+ game was Minnesota in 2018, and not coincidentally that's probably our best chance at one this year. Their only saving grace this year has been their last 2 games were against teams who can't throw, which combined with a decent running game of their own means they don't have to defend many plays. 

26 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

We have 3 games with 600+ yards of total offense, 2 against Illinois. I'm not going to quite predict that, but if we don't get a lot of yards and points I will have concerns. 

Our other 600+ game was Minnesota in 2018, and not coincidentally that's probably our best chance at one this year. Their only saving grace this year has been their last 2 games were against teams who can't throw, which combined with a decent running game of their own means they don't have to defend many plays. 

I wouldn't bet on it because I certainly don't trust us haha but I have a feeling this one won't be very close.  Or we'll have a crap ton of yards and it will be way too close. 

Minnesota should be a similar story but we'll see.

15 hours ago, teachercd said:

Yikes, that is a bad line.

Anyway, go get your money on Wisconsin -7 at NW.

That game is always a weird one because Fitzgerald builds a defense to stop Wisconsin's offense. But just when Fitz has a season where his run defense is all tuned up, Wisconsin's play-action & pass game is off the charts.

Still, if I'm betting on that game I would take Wisconsin to win & cover.   :)

12 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

Wisconsin just annihilated Michigan at their home turf.  They will wipe the floor with Northwestern...wait and see

That same Michigan team that lost at home to Michigan St. MSU has lost to Rutgers and has has scored 7 points since playing Michigan in two games. 

So I’ll wait and see but my point was Northwestern has earned respect by the teams they have beat. Purdue, Nebraska, and Maryland all have more speed/athleticism than Wisconsin. Do you see Wiscy being able to run all over? I don’t. 

Mertz will need to be better that he was Saturday to win. 

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, VizionNE said:

That same Michigan team that lost at home to Michigan St. MSU has lost to Rutgers and has has scored 7 points since playing Michigan in two games. 

So I’ll wait and see but my point was Northwestern has earned respect by the teams they have beat. Purdue, Nebraska, and Maryland all have more speed/athleticism than Wisconsin. Do you see Wiscy being able to run all over? I don’t. 

Mertz will need to be better that he was Saturday to win. 

You severely underestimate Wisconsin...in my honest opinion, the current Wisconsin team reminds me a lot of our beloved Huskers of the 80s and 90s. They play to their strengths and the adapt to each opponent they play. I really hope we can be like them. They don’t beat themselves...they have solid defense, and are very disciplined. Wisconsin coaches have done miracles with the talent they get. Think about it. Their talent pool of recruits is not as strong as penn state, Ohio state, or Michigan, yet I give them a decent chance at beating any of these teams in any given Saturday. Northwestern is simply boring...they bore you until you lose. Had Luke started that game, we would have beaten them with a young team. I do not understand all the hype about northwestern. I am confident that Wisconsin will dominate them. Wisconsin’s coach understands his talent and is able to get the most out of his players. Frost can learn a lot from him. 

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

You severely underestimate Wisconsin...in my honest opinion, the current Wisconsin team reminds me a lot of our beloved Huskers of the 80s and 90s. They play to their strengths and the adapt to each opponent they play. I really hope we can be like them. They don’t beat themselves...they have solid defense, and are very disciplined. Wisconsin coaches have done miracles with the talent they get. Think about it. Their talent pool of recruits is not as strong as penn state, Ohio state, or Michigan, yet I give them a decent chance at beating any of these teams in any given Saturday. Northwestern is simply boring...they bore you until you lose. Had Luke started that game, we would have beaten them with a young team. I do not understand all the hype about northwestern. I am confident that Wisconsin will dominate them. Wisconsin’s coach understands his talent and is able to get the most out of his players. Frost can learn a lot from him. 

Glad to see you think highly of Wisconsin. I’d disagree that they don’t get talent, it’s just different talent. I think if you look across NFL rosters, that plays itself out. 

If anyone gets more from less it’s Fitz at Northwestern. 

Hope more people feel like you do and bet that line up so I can get a better # on NW. 

Illini are not very good this year. Nebraska should handle business. Be the worst defense we have played by a pretty sizable margin. 15 is a bunch but I’d expect to be up 10 at half. Only reason 15 doesn’t happen is a garbage time TD right?

7 minutes ago, HuskerPwr said:

Did Wisconsin’s run game look good Sat? I wasn’t super impressed game 1.

Better, but I think it's still a step back from Jonathan Taylor. They had 10 carries go to WRs and 10 to FBs, which is a bit abnormal even though they do like several jet sweeps each game. I think they're very good, but they've also played a wildly unprepared Illinois team and a Michigan team that looked like it gave up after the first INT. Definitely after the second. 

• Fire 1

If we play a near perfect game we will cover.  I haven't seen that yet.

If we play at least 3 quarters instead of a half, that would help. But I haven't seen that yet, either.

Turnovers and dumb mistakes can keep scores closer as well.  

Can we score 10 points in the 2nd half?

Have we improved with redzone offense?  Are we fully awake during 11AM games?

I want the Huskers to win by two touchdowns or more.  I'm just not sold on it happening.  We should win though, anywhere between 4-13 pts.  And I will gladly take it.