Gallbladder surgery

After little to no sleep Saturday Night, Sunday I ended up in the ER at Methodist wondering why I had such bad cramps.

They ran blood work, gave me IVs for the pain and nausea then did an Ultra Sound to find out I have gall stones.

I'm on pain medication, and an over the counter version of Pepcid AC.  Next Monday, 11/23, I have an appt with the surgeon to schedule the surgery

Has anyone else recently had their Gallbladder removed?  Any idea what to expect, and how long recovery is?

Also, have had little to no luck finding info of what foods are ok to eat with Gallbladder issues.

I can find what not to eat, and have gotten some turkey meat, low fat cheese, and non egg based mayo.

It's hard finding a list online. 

My mother had to have gallbladder surgery about 17 years ago. Her situation was pretty rapid - we took her to the hospital on like a Sunday morning for similar symptoms you're experiencing, however she was unable to eat anything without pain/vomiting. So, she had to basically eat ice chips for three days until the swelling went down, and then they had her in for surgery ASAP.

From what I remember, there were also two common types of gallbladder surgery at the time. I don't recall specific details but I do remember one surgery was considered markedly quicker, less invasive, and had a better recovery time, whereas the other involved a bigger incision and had a longer recovery time. She had to have the latter version because of some complication but I don't specifically remember why that was.

To my memory, because of the type of surgery she had, it took her a few days to leave the hospital and then it took several weeks for the incision/stitches to recover. I don't think the other version is near that serious if they still do both types. My mom does say she has had some lasting side effects from it, though, primarily trouble with certain foods and an occasional discomfort in the area, all of which the doctors said was normal.

My wife had her GB removed a little over a year ago. IIRC the surgery recovery went pretty well and the surgery itself was pretty noninvasive (laparoscopic). However, she had two other procedures done at the same time within a 3 or 4 day window and that makes it a little difficult to know what all was caused by what.

We asked others some of the diet questions you are asking and received varying answers. Seems most people have ongoing problems with consuming fatty foods after, but my wife really hasn’t had to modify her diet too much. Every once in awhile something greasy or fatty will make her a little sick but it isn’t bad enough to make her change eating the things she likes. However, others we’ve talked to have had to really modify their diets and eliminate numerous things.

I know this isn’t a lot of help. I wouldn’t be too concerned about the procedure or recovery and you’ll prob just have to wait and see what you can get away with still eating afterwards. I will say those first 3-6 months after, many of the common culprits were not good but she has been able to gradually get back to eating most everything she did before.

I had mine out years ago, and honestly my only problem is processing high fat or highly spicy foods. I typically take a Pepcid AC (knockoff) to help with that daily, and one of my colleagues in the same boat has taken Ox Bile pills to help his condition. 

Saw the Dr on Monday, 11/23 and scheduled for gallbladder surgery on 12/3.  Doctor said my diet shouldn't change much other than ease into it over the next 2 weeks. 

Doctor was very informative as to the procedure, and his assistant said it's good I came in after my first gallstone attack.  Apparently some people deal with them for years, I can't imagine dealing with that kind of pain for that long.