2020 Blackshirts

knapplc

I hope we win a bunch more games so we can agonize over quotes like this, which aren't the way Blackshirts should be handled, instead of worrying if we're going to beat the Northwestern's & Purdue's of the world.

Frost saying here that the Blackshirts these guys have aren't given permanently, and they have to be earned each week. 

• Plus1 2
22 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I hope we win a bunch more games so we can agonize over quotes like this, which aren't the way Blackshirts should be handled, instead of worrying if we're going to beat the Northwestern's & Purdue's of the world.

Frost saying here that the Blackshirts these guys have aren't given permanently, and they have to be earned each week. 

They should be earned on a week to week basis 

• Thanks 2
33 minutes ago, PattyG said:

Kinda surprised by the exclusion of Reimers and somewhat Farmer, I expect both of them and a few others will be earning a blackshirt sooner rather than later.

As much as it would suck for the guy who loses it, I'm ok with trying to limit it to the starters - acknowledging that with rotations and packages, there's a bit of gray area. But I think some extra competition can be squeezed out of everyone if Honas or Miller know that Reimer could take their blackshirt, and there's not an extra one he could grab instead. At a certain point if all 3 are playing at a high level and relatively equal amounts I can see 3 blackshirts for the 2 positions. But I like keeping the desire for them focused by not really "sharing" them.

2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

They should be earned on a week to week basis 

That makes a lot of sense. Keep the competition going, and if we're using different packages different weeks there's the opportunity for guys like an extra DB to seize one.

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

Just do what it was always intended to be.  11 starters at the beginning of the season.  Guy gets replaced, blackshirt gone earn it back by winning the job back.  Stop with the "performance reward giving them out" crap.  Fans and media have crapped on this for far too long.

I agree. It's become way too complicated and the goalposts keep moving. If it's not clear how they are earned/kept then I just don't care as much.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, PaulCrewe said:

Just do what it was always intended to be.  11 starters at the beginning of the season.  Guy gets replaced, blackshirt gone earn it back by winning the job back.  Stop with the "performance reward giving them out" crap.  Fans and media have crapped on this for far too long.

This doesn’t make sense because defenses have become so specialized.  Some player who plays 40 percent of the snaps doesn’t deserve a blackshirt because he doesn’t start the first play of the game yet plays his a$& off, yet a “starter” who played 50% of the snaps and only considered a starter because he played the first snap of the game gets a blackshirt no matter how well he played

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, macroboy said:

That just doesn’t make sense with ...football. There aren’t 11 main guys anymore.

This is like ‘run the option’ at some point.

2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

This doesn’t make sense because defenses have become so specialized.  Some player who plays 40 percent of the snaps doesn’t deserve a blackshirt because he doesn’t start the first play of the game yet plays his a$& off, yet a “starter” who played 50% of the snaps and only considered a starter because he played the first snap of the game gets a blackshirt no matter how well he played

You both are getting hung up on the number 11, who cares. Give out X number to start the season and then take them/give them to others who earn it, not withholding them until some subjective/seemingly random time. That's the point he is making.

• Plus1 3

I’ve given up caring what, how or if Blackshirts are awarded. I didn’t like the way Pelini did it, kept changing it and moving the goalposts, almost using them as a weapon to penalize players. For the longest time I felt the historic and right way was to award them to the starters before the first game and then leave them up for grabs to be retained and earned week to week. But I’ve finally come to the realization, it only matters when the defense actually performs like Blackshirts. So now that is all that interests me, the defense doing their job and dominating. It’s been so long since we’ve had blackshirtesque defense week in and week out, I just don’t care. I just want to see them get the job done. Coach can do or say anything he wants about the Blackshirts, it don’t matter. What happens next Saturday is all that matters.

• Plus1 3