2022 SF Ramel Lloyd Jr [Nebraska - Signed LOI]

1 hour ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I just think what Hoiberg is doing on the recruiting trail discredits all the excuses we hear in football about recruiting. 

The excuses we hear about difficultly recruiting 85 of the most talented players in the nation to the middle of the country USA are legitimate for sure. Fred only has to convince 1/5 of those numbers and, if he's bringing in the right ones, they are only planning on being here for a year or two anyway before they cash into the NBA, so its not as big of a deterrent as it is for football where 3-5 is the norm for most.  That said, if Frost starts churning out 1st second round pics right and left, all of the sudden those cornfields don't look so lame to the hot shots. So.. In general, same rules apply. It's just that Frost appears to be a snake oil salesman to the kids at this point. Billy C, with his NFL hype, was able to pull good classes as well, just didn't know how to turn them into wins. Frost is doing it the best way he can and he will get there, but we have to wait for him to earn his shine, brutally enough. Fred earned his everywhere else he coached.

Saban comes here tomorrow and I promise we are not limited by 500 mile radius bs nor "nothing to do there," conversations.  The 5stars would come in droves.. Frost is no Saban.  

1 minute ago, Husker03 said:

The excuses we hear about difficultly recruiting 85 of the most talented players in the nation to the middle of the country USA are legitimate for sure. Fred only has to convince 1/5 of those numbers and, if he's bringing in the right ones, they are only planning on being here for a year or two anyway before they cash into the NBA, so its not as big of a deterrent as it is for football where 3-5 is the norm for most.  That said, if Frost starts churning out 1st second round pics right and left, all of the sudden those cornfields don't look so lame to the hot shots. So.. In general, same rules apply. It's just that Frost appears to be a snake oil salesman to the kids at this point. Billy C, with his NFL hype, was able to pull good classes as well, just didn't know how to turn them into wins. Frost is doing it the best way he can and he will get there, but we have to wait for him to earn his shine, brutally enough. Fred earned his everywhere else he coached.

Saban comes here tomorrow and I promise we are not limited by 500 mile radius bs nor "nothing to do there," conversations.  The 5stars would come in droves.. Frost is no Saban.  

I agree completely with all of that. We hired a coach with a certain level of pedigree in Hoiberg. He is an established winner who puts guys in the league. Frost is still building to be that as a HC. I worry that as we appear to be bringing in lower ranked players that we will now have to hope Frost and staff are excellent at development to make those 3 stars perform as 4 and 5 stars instead of getting 4 stars to perform like 4 stars. I had hoped that as Frost became established in the role the rankings would continue to go up in regards to recruiting as he figured out the map and recruiting footprints etc. 

Sidenote: none of this belongs in this young mans profile as I am ecstatic that he is going to be a Husker! Was hoping for a high level PG in this class and damnit we got one! 

5 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I just think what Hoiberg is doing on the recruiting trail discredits all the excuses we hear in football about recruiting. 

Did I miss the part where Frost had previous high-level success at a different Power 5 school, then was a coach and the professional level for several years?  And has an "assistant" who has insane connections and literally has no coaching responsibilities and just simply recruits 24/7 which you can afford to have happen when you have three coaches to work with 13 players instead of 10 coaches to work with 150 players?

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I agree completely with all of that. We hired a coach with a certain level of pedigree in Hoiberg. He is an established winner who puts guys in the league. Frost is still building to be that as a HC. I worry that as we appear to be bringing in lower ranked players that we will now have to hope Frost and staff are excellent at development to make those 3 stars perform as 4 and 5 stars instead of getting 4 stars to perform like 4 stars. I had hoped that as Frost became established in the role the rankings would continue to go up in regards to recruiting as he figured out the map and recruiting footprints etc. 

Sidenote: none of this belongs in this young mans profile as I am ecstatic that he is going to be a Husker! Was hoping for a high level PG in this class and damnit we got one! 

Basketball is very very different with recruiting compared to football.

Football players are concentrated on staying in the south east.  There are very few programs outside of that region that are knocking the world's socks off.  Obviously OSU is one of them.  

Basketball players, on the other hand, seem to have a different mind set.  They are much more willing to go anywhere in the country to play.  Yes, Nebraska has top notch facilities along with a hot coach.  However, the Big Ten is also viewed a little bit in basketball like the SEC is in football.  It's a destination conference.  It plays at the highest level and has arguably the toughest schedule in the country.  If you make it here in BB, your ticket is punched to the NBA.  That's the way football players view the SEC.

That's not necessarily a knock on the Big Ten with football.  It's just the perception of HS kids.  And....even if we were still in the Big 12, we still wouldn't be the SEC and would be fighting that same thing.

Also, it seems like the HS talent in football is concentrated in the south and southeast.  BB talent seems to be distributed more throughout the country, which lends itself to being easier to convince high level talent to come to a "cold" place like Nebraska.

Really, even though both programs are at UNL, BB and FB recruiting can't really be compared.

• Plus1 1

On 7/19/2021 at 2:14 PM, BigRedBuster said:

Basketball is very very different with recruiting compared to football.

Football players are concentrated on staying in the south east.  There are very few programs outside of that region that are knocking the world's socks off.  Obviously OSU is one of them.  

Basketball players, on the other hand, seem to have a different mind set.  They are much more willing to go anywhere in the country to play.  Yes, Nebraska has top notch facilities along with a hot coach.  However, the Big Ten is also viewed a little bit in basketball like the SEC is in football.  It's a destination conference.  It plays at the highest level and has arguably the toughest schedule in the country.  If you make it here in BB, your ticket is punched to the NBA.  That's the way football players view the SEC.

That's not necessarily a knock on the Big Ten with football.  It's just the perception of HS kids.  And....even if we were still in the Big 12, we still wouldn't be the SEC and would be fighting that same thing.

Also, it seems like the HS talent in football is concentrated in the south and southeast.  BB talent seems to be distributed more throughout the country, which lends itself to being easier to convince high level talent to come to a "cold" place like Nebraska.

Really, even though both programs are at UNL, BB and FB recruiting can't really be compared.

Yep  and with AAU ball these HS kids are totally used to traveling and being away from home.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...
  • seaofred92 changed the title to 2022 SF Ramel Lloyd Jr [Nebraska - Signed LOI]
  • Mavric unpinned this topic