Program is hitting new lows

This team is going to get interesting by the end of this "season".  Won/Loss record aside, it'll be interesting to see who evolves into the real leaders of this team.

The team captains were named, but they may not turn out to be the actual leaders of the team 

There is a lot of talent on the field, but some of these players still need name tags to know each other.

And the captains may or may not turn out to be the actual leaders of the team.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, TheSker said:

This team is going to get interesting by the end of this "season".  Won/Loss record aside, it'll be interesting to see who evolves into the real leaders of this team.

The team captains were named, but they may not turn out to be the actual leaders of the team 

There is a lot of talent on the field, but some of these players still need name tags to know each other.

And the captains may or may not turn out to be the actual leaders of the team.

Would really appreciate Martinez resuming the starting role and we get Luke mixed in as a Hybrid back & receiver. It was obvious that Luke needs more practice and seasoning if he hopes to be a constant starter at this level as a Quarterback. Martinez isn't perfect but the past two weeks have hopefully showed him some things he might not have seen as the starter. 

As for the leadership, couldn't agree more. Hoping Ty Robinson, Benhart and some of the young guys start owning this team. They've already beat out seniors for their starting spots, no one in their way for being the voices of the team. Doesn't hurt that they are some of the most physically imposing guys either. 

30 minutes ago, mwj98 said:

Yea. But having constant change at the head coaching level doesnt help either. Year 3? Ok. Maybe not on schedule. But go ahead and fired him or replace him. Complete dumpster fire if that happens. All the transfers. We lose our top receiver? And we question the vertical game. Cmon! Defense is my sore spot. We look good at times. Then we just fold. 

My first thought today was let Luke throw deep to Betts to keep the D  honest. And then I realized Luke can't go yard on a throw.  Then AM about gets Wan'dale killed, but at least he can YOLO/Arm punt with the best of recent NU QB's.....So no real vertical game.  We abandoned the run game as well. It is if Frost wants to call his scheme to prove it works.  

Frosts' scheme worked at UCF when you had Florida speed across the board.  And was the fastest team in the AAC...The top teams in the B1G have good coaches, better athletes and can match that speed.  With guys that are physical over finesse.......IMHO, it won't work here.  Coaches are better.  Teams are as fast if not faster and bigger/stronger. I have yet to see a glimmer of power in his scheme...

1 minute ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Would really appreciate Martinez resuming the starting role and we get Luke mixed in as a Hybrid back & receiver. It was obvious that Luke needs more practice and seasoning if he hopes to be a constant starter at this level as a Quarterback. Martinez isn't perfect but the past two weeks have hopefully showed him some things he might not have seen as the starter. 

As for the leadership, couldn't agree more. Hoping Ty Robinson, Benhart and some of the young guys start owning this team. They've already beat out seniors for their starting spots, no one in their way for being the voices of the team. Doesn't hurt that they are some of the most physically imposing guys either. 

I'd like to see Farmer/Newsom get more playing time on the D as well....

We have talent.  We have young guys who pass the "eye test" of being better.  It's like NU is a place where talent goes to die.....

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Benhart struggled pretty badly today.

But.  The actual leaders will emerge in time.

We"ll see.how the team responds to McCaffrey's day today.  And how McCaffrey responds.

• Plus1 1

How can you run a spread system when we don't have the receivers or backs to spread anyone out?  We can't go vertical because we can't hold a block long enough to get down field, not to mention we don't have anyone with blazing speed to get vertical to begin with.  We don't have a run game that makes you respect play action, we don't have alot of things that are needed to do the things we need done.  So at this point, if we would scrap it all, what damage could really be done?  We have two quarterbacks that frankly are not really good at any one thing.  Neither can throw the ball with any kind of touch.  Both can run, so guess what...........run them more with the speed option game......???????

2 hours ago, Lightfighter214 said:

Years ago i found a way to watch a game during basic training. Have scheduled a lot life around watching these games. I left at halftime to run errands, i cant be the only one.

I didn't leave home, but it wasn't cuz i was watching Nebraska. I turned it off at half to watch Indiana vs Ohio state and didn't turn it back once.

12 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

How can you run a spread system when we don't have the receivers or backs to spread anyone out?  We can't go vertical because we can't hold a block long enough to get down field, not to mention we don't have anyone with blazing speed to get vertical to begin with.  We don't have a run game that makes you respect play action, we don't have alot of things that are needed to do the things we need done.  So at this point, if we would scrap it all, what damage could really be done?  We have two quarterbacks that frankly are not really good at any one thing.  Neither can throw the ball with any kind of touch.  Both can run, so guess what...........run them more with the speed option game......???????

I agree with 99.9% of this but I wanted to get people's ideas here with something you said in the 2nd sentence. You mentioned we dont have blazing speed. I think we have a couple 2-3 guys that havent seen the field once with pretty good speed. 

Wasn't it Demariyon Houston that was supposed to be one of the fastest guys on the team and I wanna say also that Jamie Nance kid. I thought along with them that Alante Brown, Marcus Fleming and Zavier Betts were supposed to have some speed too. Is the issue we don't have the speed or we are choosing to not play the speed? I honestly don't know, but it boggles my mind the guys we have sitting that can't get on the field

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, Crusader Husker said:

Callahan, Pelini, Riley, and now Frost.  I keep thinking it can't get lower.

This program is maybe lower than ever.  Scheme, mistakes, penaties, development.  It all sucks!

Riley's staff before Banker was fired is much better than this one.  I have seen no development since Frost started.

It isn't a being in the B1G issue. it is Scott is not getting it done issue.  No excuses, we just suck!  Illinios is not a good team and we are worse.....

They hit a new low when they went 7-7 with Solich.  And figured out to load the box up and force a pass.

They then hit a serious awful low when they hired an NFL coach for the Huskers - who was heavily criticized by his players and fired by the Raiders.  Because he sucked as a head coach.

They hit another low when Osborne picked Pelini because he reminded him of Devaney a little bit.  He could have interviewed more head coaches that had head coaching experience.  That's 3 straight hires without college head coaching experience (Solich, Callahan, Pelini).

Riley was another head scratcher.  Another blow, another low. 

The bottom line is this.  Yeah it sucked to lose to Illinois.  Yet we hoped to have turned a corner.  Yeah we still got a lot of issues on both sides of the ball.  But man, if you feel like you are new to this (let down), I don't know what to tell you.  It's a game and you got to deal with it until it gets good again.  Find some positives until turkey day and Iowa Friday.  Tough it up, dawg.

• Plus1 1