“Everyone can see the progress the defense is making”

seaofred92

I feel like we just didn't bring pressure this game. Not to the extent we did against PSU.

There's definitely signs of improvement; swarming to the ball, going for strips, hard hitting. But there are critical errors every play; can't get the ball carrier down on the first hit, horrendous on 3rd downs, too many busted coverages.

• Fire 2

I feel like the defense is respectable on first down and they are able to get quite a few 2 and 3 down and Kong’s, but then chin decides that is a great time to play cushion defense.   Next thing you know it’s a 6 minute 13 play drive for a touchdown.  I can’t for the life of me think why more teams don’t go for on it fourth down against our defense.   

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Honest question.  I was excited when Frost was hired.  Truly thought he was the guy.  not because of UCF, but he was the prodigal son returning.  Loved and bled NU.  Was going to merge speed with power.... Last year, I thought we would see the "real" Frost in 2021/2022...His guys, culture etc.....Even then I was I was beginning to sour on the marriage (never a fan of his scheme at NU)...Another losing season, no development, looked better with Riley guys etc....But held out hope.  2020 and Covid.  Bought the hype. NU wants to play.  Dedicated, united, his guys, culture etc.....Ohio St even in the loss we "looked better"...After game 4 in season 3, I am convinced Frost doesn't have the chops to be a HC in the B1G without some serious firepower at OC/DC and position coaches.....And maybe not even then if he doesn't relegate himself to CEO mode. He needs some help that the novice staff can't provide.

To my question, what has Frost done that's positive? What gives you confidence he is the guy moving forward or to lead us to the next level. Maybe I'm to blinded in my disappointment....I truly want him to succeed.  At least if we part ways down the road we are not letting a 9+ win guy go...

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I feel like the defense is respectable on first down and they are able to get quite a few 2 and 3 down and Kong’s, but then chin decides that is a great time to play cushion defense.   Next thing you know it’s a 6 minute 13 play drive for a touchdown.  I can’t for the life of me think why more teams don’t go for on it fourth down against our defense.   

We must’ve watched different games. I can recall maybe 2 times they forced 3rd and long

The "bend but don't break" game plan is the worst defense IMO.  That's a crappy way of allowing teams to go from XX yard line to the 20, and then hoping a condensed field will force them into a FG attempts. 

It's terrible.  It wears down your defense and chews up the clock.

Stop the run.  Force completions.  Bump the WRs at the line, play some aggressive man coverage.  If they beat you on a deep pass, get the ball back and go score. 

And the 3-4 has to go.  You can't rush the passer with success in that scheme unless you Alabama or Clemson. 

46 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

The defense is bad....yes, but they have had no help from the offense all year. I think it could be argued that the D won the Penn State game.

Its a bad team overall. Every facet of the game is terrible. And all these bums except Frost and Lubick need to go. And thw only reason I say Lubick is I believe a coach should get three seasons and this is only his first.