Illinois - What Did We Learn?

The Duke

8 minutes ago, Comish said:

Does a vaunted "passing technician" ever have to be accountable for his students inability to step into throws and NOT fire a 6 yard missile into the turf 2 yards short on a simple 8 yard swing pass? Or is that mitigated by being cool?

Ya- Luke has the worst throwing mechanics my husband has ever seen. He’s a throwing coach. 

Offensively, the thing really holding Nebraska back today was QB play. McCaffery isn't QB. He doesn't have the arm strength and he doesn't have the accuracy. Even with the game plan Frost came in with today, if Nebraska had a QB who could make those throws downfield, I see no reason why they couldn't have had 40+ points today. I like McCaffery, but he's an athlete better suited at WR where he has the best opportunity for the NFL.

Defensively, based on what I think a competent QB mentioned above is able to do, scoring at least 40 points against Illinois SHOULD be more than enough to beat this Illinois team. For me, starts at Defensive Coordinator and it has been since the start. Three years in at Nebraska, Chinander's scheme continues to disappoint with broken and soft coverage. It was the same way at UCF for Chinander. He sucks. It's not an aggressive defense. 

Finally, players need to be smarter. Everyone. They can have all the strength and agility they want, but if they don't know what they're doing technique wise or scheme wise, then they're going to be apt to make mistakes that smarter teams will take advantage of. And it's happening every game for years now. 

Coaches need to get this s*** figured out and it starts with Frost. And I'll be honest, I've been losing confidence in Frost as this thing has progressed. Time for talking is over. Put up or shut up. 

• Plus1 5

Is it just me or do our guys play sort of tense and scared? McCaffrey’s lateral on the opening play seems like a good example. Just tuck it there and fall forward for two yards.

We just make so many dumb mistakes. We can’t field a QB that doesn’t chronically turn the ball over to save our lives.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Undone said:

Is it just me or do our guys play sort of tense and scared? McCaffrey’s lateral on the opening play seems like a good example. Just tuck it there and fall forward for two yards.

We just make so many dumb mistakes. We can’t field a QB that doesn’t chronically turn the ball over to save our lives.

Mistakes are ok as long as they are committed at full speed 

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

What about our OL blocking gives you any confidence we could run the I? We'd just smash RBs into 1 yard gains or losses. 

Good question. The difference would be the KIND of blocking.  Right now, we use a zone blocking scheme, and we're whiffing all over the field. In the I, we would use drive blocking, hat-for-hat, simple scheme. Let our big guys put their strength to use, not worrying about zone steps, reach blocking, doubling, moving up, etc. We need to simplify everything and focus on a few plays instead of 30 formations, free-running, unblocked defenders, and useless passes to the flat.

If I’m Frost I’m going back to Adrian and using Luke in a lot of fake misdirection/RB/WR. Heavy dose of Scott/Mills up the teeth and put Adrian into a position to succeed. Slow down the game. Betts a few jet sweeps. Get the ball back to Flemming. Those play action TE throws have been open (we sorely miss Stoll). And for goddamn sake find Wan’Dale. Start concentrating on 15-20 plays and run them non-stop until they are so crisp that half of the team goes insane. Jurgens has to run a mile in full pads in the cold for every bad snap this game or practice. Every turnover in practice or from this game is a mile hike at the start or end of practice. For the whole team. Make this week a hitting bloodbath so brutal that the iowa game will be a relief. No more fast Friday’s. Having fun is for winners. If you aren’t winning you might as well not even exist. 

• Plus1 7

I'll be brief and brutal....

This staff, in it's current format, is a sub .500 staff

Frost gets out coached weekly

Luke is not a QB-Move him to RB.  seriously

Frost is on the hot seat

JoJo is a dude

We will lose recruits after this game

We will lose players to the portal this season

13-0 was a complete anamoly

We still ca not develop anyone

Coach crazy would be ushered out tonight.  Don't ket him near Smothers.  Again, seriously

We are the bottom, Home Coming, schedule type of team.....

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1