Illinois - What Did We Learn?

The Duke

12 hours ago, Cy the Cyclone said:

I keep hearing about all this talent.  Where is it?  Still at high school?  This ain't high school.  

oh, and can we quit bagging on the Big 12 now.  Any of the Big 12 schools would boat race Nebraska off the field...even Kansas.

Can you post a photo of the Cyclones' trophy case please?

• Plus1 1

12 hours ago, Cy the Cyclone said:

I keep hearing about all this talent.  Where is it?  Still at high school?  This ain't high school.  

oh, and can we quit bagging on the Big 12 now.  Any of the Big 12 schools would boat race Nebraska off the field...even Kansas.

Screenshot_20201122-073000_Firefox.thumb.jpg.8b4ede2eaf5e8edad828652d52481161.jpg

I mean, that's true this year but you'd still have to boat race us for 68 years running to even see tie the series. 

• Plus1 1

There appeared to be a fumble on the Honas sack & everybody was too busy celebrating to recover the ball.  You emphasize takeaways, you emphasize getting #'s to the ball, you emphasize playing through the whistle, you emphasize details.  As a coach, there's a lot I wouldn't be happy with yesterday, but this would upset me because it's indicative of all those things not happening.  

While on that subject, that fake punt might be the most embarrassing example of the missing attention to detail I've seen from this team & that's applicable on multiple levels.  There are 3 pet peeves I have as a coach, O-lineman not hitting anybody when they pull, not having enough players on the field, & going through the motions on a play because you assume you know the result.  2 occurred on that play.

• Plus1 2

We are at that point where Frost has to decide what is more important -- doing this job with his friends, or doing this job with the best people possible.

In coming here, he earned the right to choose his staff. Nearly 3 years in, it simply isn't working. If progress was being shown, it would be something to discuss. But in no way can anyone make the argument that the program today is in better shape than it was 3 years ago.

So Frost is at a crossroads. He's preached loyalty and friendship to this staff since the beginning. But there is simply dead weight here where coaches aren't that active in recruiting, and the play of their positional talent on the field doesn't cover their lack of recruiting chops. Does he make the necessary adjustments to this staff, or does he want to continue with it in it's current state?

A true leader would make the tough decisions, and real friends would understand that it is nothing personal. So we'll see where Frost is at after this season in regards to how he wants to hadnle this staff.

35 minutes ago, BigWillie said:

We are at that point where Frost has to decide what is more important -- doing this job with his friends, or doing this job with the best people possible.

In coming here, he earned the right to choose his staff. Nearly 3 years in, it simply isn't working. If progress was being shown, it would be something to discuss. But in no way can anyone make the argument that the program today is in better shape than it was 3 years ago.

So Frost is at a crossroads. He's preached loyalty and friendship to this staff since the beginning. But there is simply dead weight here where coaches aren't that active in recruiting, and the play of their positional talent on the field doesn't cover their lack of recruiting chops. Does he make the necessary adjustments to this staff, or does he want to continue with it in it's current state?

A true leader would make the tough decisions, and real friends would understand that it is nothing personal. So we'll see where Frost is at after this season in regards to how he wants to hadnle this staff.

Great post and so true. Moos gave Frost an open checkbook for his staff. Go get the best 

someone give urban a couple million to mentor frost 

13 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Cy is still cool.  He's just not a sunshine pusher and there are some who find that objectionable.  

But who is he to push anything? He’s not one of us. 

he’s been around since the B12 days and most of the time makes witty posts that are humorous. Many on this board were openly supporting ISU when it looked like the B10 wasn’t going to play  But rubbing salt in the wound when you’re an outsider is cheap. A mere “hey, rough day” would have sufficed 

• Plus1 1

Something like zero people expected Frost to be this bad.   But this thing just isn't working.  It's worse than the Callahan years.  Worse than the Riley years.  If he was held to remotely the same standard as those fellows he'd be gone at the end of the season.

I suspect at most he'll be forced to hire coordinators.  I don't know if that'll fix anything though.  He hasn't demonstrated he's any good at hiring assistants coaches.  

I just get the impression he's in way over his head and it's only a matter of time before he's fired.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 2