Illinois - What Did We Learn?

The Duke

1 minute ago, JJ Husker said:

This is what confuses me the most. More often than not our very first series of a game seems to have flow and a purpose. I mean it looks like what I think it’s supposed to look like. First series of the Illini game being the exception due to Luke’s brain fart or an ill advised plan but, for the most part, we’ve been fairly successful on our initial offensive possessions. But after that sh#t goes off the rails, penalty or high snap or whatever and from there on out the offensive game plan seems to be throw a handful of sh#t at the fan and see what happens. And when that doesn’t work, which it rarely does, then we crawl into a shell, move Wandale to RB and don’t trust anybody except QB runs and Wandale between the tackles. It really feels like the coaches are seizing up and giving up more than anything and it’s just so confusing because they’re the same guys who constructed initial successful drives. I don’t understand.....

Amazing what the 10-15 scripted plays that usually get the most reps in practice look like and then seldom get called again.  The only plays you see that are usually scripted and then ran ad nausea are the bubble screen and the read.  

OF course Callahan's squads looked unstoppable running the scripted plays most games as well and then the play calling went to...........

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

Amazing what the 10-15 scripted plays that usually get the most reps in practice look like and then seldom get called again.  The only plays you see that are usually scripted and then ran ad nausea are the bubble screen and the read.  

OF course Callahan's squads looked unstoppable running the scripted plays most games as well and then the play calling went to...........

My vote is they develope about 20 scripted plays and when they get through those, throw em back in the tumbler and start over. Cuz whatever they’ve been doing ain’t getting it. Of course it would be preferable if they could adjust and exploit based on what they’re seeing and setting up but they’ve been horrendous at it so far.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

My vote is they develope about 20 scripted plays and when they get through those, throw em back in the tumbler and start over. Cuz whatever they’ve been doing ain’t getting it. Of course it would be preferable if they could adjust and exploit based on what they’re seeing and setting up but they’ve been horrendous at it so far.

I agree, so much for the old theory of making a defense show they can stop what is working.  It's almost backwards, in that the staff relentlessly run plays that don't work trying to prove that said play will work

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

Wonder if we just came up with 60 scripted plays...

9 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Because they seem to do pretty well on our first drive of each game they could just call the same exact plays the next series.  No one would expect it.

9 hours ago, Husker03 said:

Wonder if we just came up with 60 scripted plays...

I think that's called a playbook :lol:

But yeah, script (schedule) them ahead of time so there is some sort of plan because what they're calling on the fly obviously hasn't been working out great. It's not gonna look worse, so yeah, sort of serious.