Illinois - What Did We Learn?

The Duke

Apathy is close at hand

The match made in football heaven, is not working.  Frost is proving that arrogance gets you no where but a butt kicking as we remember his 'The Big 10" will have to adjust to us' comment.  He hasn't learned to adjust to the Big 10 yet.  Adjusting may mean to junk his UCF 13-0 offense, get real Coordinators, and have the OC call the plays. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Something like zero people expected Frost to be this bad.   But this thing just isn't working.  It's worse than the Callahan years.  Worse than the Riley years.  If he was held to remotely the same standard as those fellows he'd be gone at the end of the season.

I suspect at most he'll be forced to hire coordinators.  I don't know if that'll fix anything though.  He hasn't demonstrated he's any good at hiring assistants coaches.  

I just get the impression he's in way over his head and it's only a matter of time before he's fired.

If you look at the last 20 yrs, coaches forced to hire coordinators were canned within a season or two. Won’t be the case here, he’ll get three seasons

more 

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

Something like zero people expected Frost to be this bad.   But this thing just isn't working.  It's worse than the Callahan years.  Worse than the Riley years.  If he was held to remotely the same standard as those fellows he'd be gone at the end of the season.

I suspect at most he'll be forced to hire coordinators.  I don't know if that'll fix anything though.  He hasn't demonstrated he's any good at hiring assistants coaches.  

I just get the impression he's in way over his head and it's only a matter of time before he's fired.

I don't think Frost would fire Chin.....Too loyal. Plus he has millions to not give a rats a$$ if he's hired again.....

Unsure if it's Chin's scheme to play so far off or Fish's....I really miss the constant pressure that Marvin Sanders had the guys play.  I truly think that in year 5 as a staff, they are collectively in over their heads. Hard to get advice or guidance when they are all novices.....Don't really know the big and are behind the 8-ball playing catch up.  Look at IU in year 4 with Allen.  A lot lower classes than NU, less support, no history etc....And then we have NU...

• Plus1 1

Well that's because teams like Indiana, Northwestern, Liberty, Coastal, Tulsa, Cincinnati, BYU, Marshall, Louisiana LaFa, Iowa State, etc, etc... they don't feel entitled to win.  They go compete and play with confidence.

Huskers be acting like it's a country club atmosphere all week...  the good life, glamour, media frenzy, big man on campus, buddies with coaches, social media swag,..... and then during a game it's like "uh-oh, we losing again, what do we do?"

#TRUTH

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 4
6 hours ago, krc1995 said:

But who is he to push anything? He’s not one of us. 

he’s been around since the B12 days and most of the time makes witty posts that are humorous. Many on this board were openly supporting ISU when it looked like the B10 wasn’t going to play  But rubbing salt in the wound when you’re an outsider is cheap. A mere “hey, rough day” would have sufficed 

Cy had some pretty benign posts earlier this year and was attacked by those who, I assume, didn't know Cy was a regular.  I think Cy's negative retorts were aimed at those posters and not the old school ones who know Cy.  Over the years, he's earned enough good will from me that I ignore his negative posts and assume they are for those less mature fans who see his name and assume he's here to troll when he is not.  Or maybe Cy has turned into a big poo-poo head....;)

• Plus1 1

I learned Lovie Smith is still good at coaching to cause turnovers.  He obviously wasn't the D coordinator while with the Chicago Bears but if you go back and watch those defenses they were always going after the ball.  This works out pretty well in todays game when a big hit will almost automatically get you a penalty.  Punch and rip at the ball.  It works.  I don't know if we don't have confidence in our safeties or our corners that lead us to play so far off the ball.  If todays offenses are so based on timing I don't understand why you wouldn't do something to screw with that timing.  You could at least show press to give the illusion of it but bail out.  I'm also not a fan of our alignment.  The still line up outside the rec when in man coverage.  Line up inside and take away the easy throws and use the sideline as another defender.  it's not that hard.  If you are playing cover two yeah force everything inside to help your safeties out.  Also learned Reimers isn't quite ready for full time action and showed it against IL.  Honas had a good game.  Jo Jo is still my favorite defender.

The defense seems overly simplistic. We talk it about a lot  about what the offense is, but what is the defense? It is a very passive defense which is a oxymoron, kind of. The participation report says we have run a five linebacker set (at least two games), OSU and Penn St, I think,  and we got some pressure in those games so why not do it again? 

On 11/21/2020 at 2:20 PM, PaulCrewe said:

There is no way anyone has a clue of what NU has in any given skill player, because no one can get in any kind of rhythm due to getting yanked around series to series while Scott figures out what his offense is

This is what confuses me the most. More often than not our very first series of a game seems to have flow and a purpose. I mean it looks like what I think it’s supposed to look like. First series of the Illini game being the exception due to Luke’s brain fart or an ill advised plan but, for the most part, we’ve been fairly successful on our initial offensive possessions. But after that sh#t goes off the rails, penalty or high snap or whatever and from there on out the offensive game plan seems to be throw a handful of sh#t at the fan and see what happens. And when that doesn’t work, which it rarely does, then we crawl into a shell, move Wandale to RB and don’t trust anybody except QB runs and Wandale between the tackles. It really feels like the coaches are seizing up and giving up more than anything and it’s just so confusing because they’re the same guys who constructed initial successful drives. I don’t understand.....

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

This is what confuses me the most. More often than not our very first series of a game seems to have flow and a purpose. I mean it looks like what I think it’s supposed to look like. First series of the Illini game being the exception due to Luke’s brain fart or an ill advised plan but, for the most part, we’ve been fairly successful on our initial offensive possessions. But after that sh#t goes off the rails, penalty or high snap or whatever and from there on out the offensive game plan seems to be throw a handful of sh#t at the fan and see what happens. And when that doesn’t work, which it rarely does, then we crawl into a shell, move Wandale to RB and don’t trust anybody except QB runs and Wandale between the tackles. It really feels like the coaches are seizing up and giving up more than anything and it’s just so confusing because they’re the same guys who constructed initial successful drives. I don’t understand.....

Took the words right out of my mouth. This is spot on.

• Plus1 1