Let's Discuss

PaulCrewe

So many have called/wished/demanded/wished for Frost to stop calling plays and let his OC take on that duty.  That he should be more involved CEOwise with the program, paying attention to details on defense and special teams as well.  

SO, in the post game presser, Frost said he was too busy going over plays after the 3 and out to open the second half to not notice that only 10 guys trotted out on the punt that their punter ran(as someone put it in another thread) as if he was having a seizure for a first.  Followed it up by saying said player was an additional "spy" to make sure the ball is kicked.

SECONDLY, he admitted that he was more focused on the next couple of plays and assumed the opening play was a lateral(which it probably was) to focus on challenging the call on the fumble.  This would have made the head official watch the review as well not just the "guy upstairs". 

Two instances in which not being the primary play caller probably helps his team.  

I believe he can still be involved with the offense and still suggest plays, but let the primary calling go.  He needs to be more available to "coach" guys up on the sideline and chew some a$$ when needed, which needs to be more often than not.  I'm not wanting a Mike Riley like CEO, but a coach that is committed to the involvement/investment of his WHOLE team.

DIscuss

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1

I agree.  It would allow him to see other things during practice and perhaps get things fixed when they should be. 

Another is to quite recruiting these "projects" at QB and trying to turn them into something they most likely wont become and go out and recruit a legit QB. 

He doesn't have the experience to do both IMHO.  He needs to get great at one area, before trying to be good at them all.  I look at mistakes this year...The penalty at the opening of the half a week or two ago.  Time out after the other team scored a TD...Not enough guys on the field etc....As you mentioned, get out of the clip board to get into some guys a$$ for screwing up.  Too busy dialing up the next series to coach guys up, yell at, encourage etc.....Why hire Lubick if you're not going to use him.  No way any of Austins pre-season ideas are being implemented.  Your are the HC.  be that guy.  Coach during practice.  Coach during the game...

To @Stumpy1point, we need to recruit guys to the position.  no more projects.  Year 3 have we developed anyone.  AM 1.0 MUCH better than 2.0 or 3.0......The only common factor is each year with V he's gotten worse....Same with Luke.  When AM was out last year, he did well IMHO....Same with Noah.  Luke this year? Looks like he got Verduzco'ed.......

@PaulCrewe It's obvious to everyone that year 3, Frost as HC/OC is just not getting it done.  As you pointed out, too many instances of him being the OC and "forgetting" the rest is costing us penalties/yards/plays etc....

1 minute ago, krc1995 said:

I think it’s time to bring the fullback back 

Now you're talking!:D

• Plus1 1

Here is another example of being more focused/involved with the entire team.  Wasn't it during the intro press conference when a question about tackling was brought up, with the mention of Eichorst's bright idea of bringing in the rugby tackling guru, and Frost said something to the extent of with his post college playing experience and early coaching duties it should never be a problem.  Well here we are three years into it and the tackling, especially amongst the back end, leaves so much to be desired. 

Where is that experience and knowledge he can draw on being exhibited???  Small things like this are what can start to make a change in the program, instead it is just more media talk fodder.  

20 minutes ago, lo country said:

We need to recruit guys to the position.  no more projects.  Year 3 have we developed anyone.  AM 1.0 MUCH better than 2.0 or 3.0......The only common factor is each year with V he's gotten worse....Same with Luke.  When AM was out last year, he did well IMHO....Same with Noah.  Luke this year? Looks like he got Verduzco'ed.......

I think they are trying to do way too much with the QBs. They had a great recruit in Adrian and then injuries and coaching happened and now he looks like he has PTSD. 

Now the project. Luke. I wouldn't use last year as any sort of a measurement, it was 12 total passes in perfect moments. He has 1 TD and 5 INT in his time at the helm when defenses plan and expect him to play. He has zero arm strength to make the necessary throws over 10 yards and simply should not be a QB. He has happy feet. This experiment needs to end and he should start learning a new position.  If he starts at Iowa it will be very ugly.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, lo country said:

Same with Luke.  When AM was out last year, he did well IMHO...

Luke didn't get worse. Luke has only been playing the position for like, 3 years. He is here because we are the largest program that promised him a legit shot at QB.  Doesn't appear his career will be from behind center and hopefully he can see that because Scott won't pull a bait and switch. Adrian regressed no doubt, but honestly, a year behind last years offensive line is enough to ruin any young QB, just like the last two games are very likely to set McCaffrey back quite a margin. While I am as upset as everybody at Scott continuing to prove he was not polished enough for B10 football and has miles of growing to do, it doesn't change the fact that the program was in dire straights when he got here. He started with a true frosh QB behind a mediocre but generally experienced line. Took a chance his second cycle on an inexperienced QB with a nice ceiling expecting to have a 3 year startedr to play behind while said QB gained practice and experience. He then brought in another highly ranked QB in his 3rd cycle. Now, second year QB gets stuck behind a horribly young O-Line and it messes with his head. May have ruined him forever, we will never know. So his hand is forced in year 3 to put another very green QB in when he really didn't want to because he wasn't ready. So now that backfired and may have messed with his head too. The only hope is that AM has found focus on the pine and seizes the role from here and never looks back but you'd probably have as good of odds of throwing Smothers to the wolves and hoping to hit the lottery there.

Defense is a similar bag.. No upperclassman leadership to speak of which lends itself to huge motivational swings rooted in emotion more than just experience doing your damn job.  Reinventing the wheel there with a new DC or scheme isn't going to reap rewards for another 2-3 years, so your still better off forging ahead with what is in place and praying maturity at several levels fixes some things. Schemes schmemes, at some point you need dudes who are going to get off blocks and fill gaps each and every down, and they need to trust that the man next to them is going to do the same. 

That sounds reasonable,  except that as the head coach he's always going to be focusing on other things,  such as the next play call,  etc.

It's not as if he would give up OC duties and just stand there on the sideline  and attempt to stay awake.

I would think that his special teams coach or coordinator would be responsible for getting 11 guys on the field and telling them to watch for the punt-run

2 minutes ago, ScarletRevival said:

That sounds reasonable,  except that as the head coach he's always going to be focusing on other things,  such as the next play call,  etc.

It's not as if he would give up OC duties and just stand there on the sideline  and attempt to stay awake.

I would think that his special teams coordinator would be responsible for getting 11 guys on the field and telling them to watch for the punt-run

What special teams coordinator? The one we didn't hire when I thought they really needed one? Or the analyst they did hire who can't actually talk to kids during the games?

Fire Verduzco and hire a ST coordinator this offseason.

1.  Incorporate (not switch to) a true power-run, I-formation, QB under center component to the offense and be damn good at it for when you need to slow the game down to give the D a breather or eat up clock.

2.  If WIsky can execute the Jet Sweep, so can we.  Perfectly timed, it's tough to defend.  

3.  No more lovey-dovey coaching.  You don't have to be a d!ck, but sometimes a good a$$ chewing is what a player or team needs when they're not getting it.

4.  Can the 3-4 or whatever version of it Chin is running.  The blueprints for success on defense in the B1G are not hidden, but rather it's in plain sight.  It seems Iowa, Wisky, and NW figured it out a long time ago and guess what?  It still works.  If Chin doesn't know it, find someone who does.

5.  Pass-first QB recruits please.  If they can run too, better yet.  

6.  Value big, tough, and smarts in a recruit.  And a few smart, speedy guys too.  We're getting tired of hearing about the heralded athletes who haven't quite grasped the scheme yet.

3 minutes ago, runningblind said:

What special teams coordinator? The one we didn't hire when I thought they really needed one? Or the analyst they did hire who can't actually talk to kids during the games?

Fire Verduzco and hire a ST coordinator this offseason.

Rumors are that a guy with the initials MP will be available at the end of the year.

He did some nice things with special teams.  Sounds like a good fit

• Plus1 1

Listen, we have upgraded our talent since Frosty arrived, but we are still a ways out from competing with the big boys.  Not to mention, Penn St is 0-5, lets not look at their preseason ranking anymore, that was a misnomer.  They are a bad team that we still almost lost to last week.  

OK.  This has been on my mind for a while now.  We need to go back to the option attack.  We are recruiting the same athletes that Florida, Alabama, Ohio St and others are recruiting etc............We need to start recruiting differently and for a different style.  Power football is the answer once again.  Forget this spread business, for once and for all.  Time to get back to basics and thats power football.

• Plus1 2