Let's Discuss

PaulCrewe

We still lack toughness, and overall football IQ.  No matter who the coach is or has been, we still have these issues and its really getting old like losing.  I understand, we may never get back the glory days ever again, but it would be nice to at least resemble a smart, tough football team once again.  Mental toughness and physical toughness.  

I don't think we will ever compete with top programs doing what we are doing.  Spread offense.  I don't think that we are going to ever compete with this 3-4 defense scheme the way we do it.  This is year 3.  We are really no different than Riley's year 3 and all the others who have come and gone since Solich.  Are we a tradition rich program or a program who had a larger than life few decades with two tremendous coaches who we can't seem to replace no matter what?

• Fire 1

36 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I think they are trying to do way too much with the QBs. They had a great recruit in Adrian and then injuries and coaching happened and now he looks like he has PTSD. 

Now the project. Luke. I wouldn't use last year as any sort of a measurement, it was 12 total passes in perfect moments. He has 1 TD and 5 INT in his time at the helm when defenses plan and expect him to play. He has zero arm strength to make the necessary throws over 10 yards and simply should not be a QB. He has happy feet. This experiment needs to end and he should start learning a new position.  If he starts at Iowa it will be very ugly.

I agree.  Luke is not a QB.  he needs to switch to RB.  use Mills as an HB/FB.  Keep one in to help pass pro...I think Luke has 5 INT's and 3 fumbles in 2 starts...No Bueno.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
27 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Listen, we have upgraded our talent since Frosty arrived, but we are still a ways out from competing with the big boys.  Not to mention, Penn St is 0-5, lets not look at their preseason ranking anymore, that was a misnomer.  They are a bad team that we still almost lost to last week.  

OK.  This has been on my mind for a while now.  We need to go back to the option attack.  We are recruiting the same athletes that Florida, Alabama, Ohio St and others are recruiting etc............We need to start recruiting differently and for a different style.  Power football is the answer once again.  Forget this spread business, for once and for all.  Time to get back to basics and thats power football.

And the only reason we won was Chins D.....Had Franklin pulled Clifford earlier, we'd be 0-5.......Not a Chin fan so not saying he should stay.

I'm a "run the damn ball guy". I like your ideas.  Let's simplify the O.  Power running game.  2 back sets or an H/Back to help block.  Limit the route tree.  Get the TE's more involved.  

• Plus1 2

WE don't have a QB between the two of them.  Both are option QB's without a system to run it in.  Thats a little bit strong.  Actually the real issue is we don't have enough speed on the field to get the ball to yet.  Both Qb's rely on Austin Allen to be our primary target.  We don't have a line that can block, and we don't have receivers who can get open.  That combination spells disaster most of the time.

• Plus1 1

Luke needs to work on passing the ball - of course he does. I remember people complaining about Taylor Martinez as well but he won football games. I'm okay with Adrian in as well - Luke was the better option last week. Adrian would've done better today. That is where we are at. We also have a center who cannot snap a football after 3 seasons. We have a head coach who has been a terrible play caller. I haven't liked our DC for one second since he showed up. We are the most undisciplined football team I've ever watched. Just overall s#!t show. 

I will however stick with Frost. He has been very very underwhelming thus far. Put in a tough spot but still has not been close to where he should be by now. We have a young football team still -- I think our talent will shine through over the next two seasons but the coaching has to come with it. Frost is still a young coach and is learning as well. Time to look in the mirror and man up. Tired of all the BS. Just get better. Period

I kind of agree with the jest of it @PaulCrewe

Be an OC if you want to call plays. 

Be the head leader and overall presence if you want to organize & run a football team.  Have a plan, lead the way, work with your chosen associates, trust them to do their job;  Be patient but have urgency;  listen, take advice, use your experience, prepare you team, and make tough decisions..... if it's not working you have to be the one to make it work, or make changes to make it work.... and take accountability for it all.

• Plus1 3