Let's Discuss

PaulCrewe

5 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

My question right now is what advice has T.O. provided during this stretch?  Ozzy'a first few years were tough as well, and he switched up his style after a few seasons as well.  

TO’s tough was losing to Oklahoma eight straight times Frost’s tough is losing to everyone 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Nebhawk said:

My question right now is what advice has T.O. provided during this stretch?  Ozzy'a first few years were tough as well, and he switched up his style after a few seasons as well.  

I doubt Osborne has changed his philosophy. Run the ball, stop the run, the game. When you pass, 3 things can happen, and 2 of them are bad. It's hard to pass the ball a lot in Lincoln in November. 

I'm really surprised and stupefied that Frost doesn't have the same blueprint. 

• Fire 1

I think what's happening is that defenses are playing a stacked-box strategy against us with McCaffrey. This makes it to where when we run our inside zone handoffs, our RBs are just plowing into a big mixing bowl of bodies.

If the opposing defenses were spread out a little that wouldn't be happening as bad, and then the play calling would appear better, because the vanilla runs would be averaging more yards per play. But, they're not, and thus play calling falls onto the chopping block.

The bottom line is that we don't have a downfield passing game. No matter who is calling the plays, that guy can't trust that we can execute downfield passes. And in that scenario most of the low-percentage stuff we do gets choked up by defenses playing close to the line of scrimmage.

We need a better QB.

• Plus1 4
7 minutes ago, Undone said:

I think what's happening is that defenses are playing a stacked-box strategy against us with McCaffrey. This makes it to where when we run our inside zone handoffs, our RBs are just plowing into a big mixing bowl of bodies.

If the opposing defenses were spread out a little that wouldn't be happening as bad, and then the play calling would appear better, because the vanilla runs would be averaging more yards per play. But, they're not, and thus play calling falls onto the chopping block.

The bottom line is that we don't have a downfield passing game. No matter who is calling the plays, that guy can't trust that we can execute downfield passes. And in that scenario most of the low-percentage stuff we do gets choked up by defenses playing close to the line of scrimmage.

We need a better QB.

I agree with all of the above.  I also think we desperately need better pass protection then we're currently getting up front.  Was also just thinking last night I can't think of any other Power 5 team who's had the ongoing snapping issues that we're still having either. 

It's embarrassing at this point.

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, Undone said:

We need a better QB.

So what is the prospects of our 3rd string QB getting a chance to prove what he can do. Can it get worse?  Living in Tulsa, we just witnessed TU's 3rd string QB pull a game out of the dumpster after QB 1 & 2 both got injured.  A 2 OT game the 25th Tulsa team have now won 4 (out of their 5 wins) after falling far behind. There is something intangible  missing on our NU team that the Tulsa team has- that is confidence. 

• Plus1 3
23 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

I agree with all of the above.  I also think we desperately need better pass protection then we're currently getting up front.  Was also just thinking last night I can't think of any other Power 5 team who's had the ongoing snapping issues that we're still having either. 

It's embarrassing at this point.

Really great points and I definitely should have mentioned blocking. It's super weird that the best blocking we've had was probably the first half against Ohio State. I'm in the camp that saw those two quarters of play and then ran with the assumption that our blocking had greatly improved.

So that's definitely a big aspect of it. Our QBs obviously deserve more time in the pocket on designed passing plays. Hell, look at how much time Illinois' QB had to throw most of the day...

• Fire 1

17 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

So what is the prospects of our 3rd string QB getting a chance to prove what he can do. Can it get worse?  Living in Tulsa, we just witnessed TU's 3rd string QB pull a game out of the dumpster after QB 1 & 2 both got injured.  A 2 OT game the 25th Tulsa team have now won 4 (out of their 5 wins) after falling far behind. There is something intangible  missing on our NU team that the Tulsa team has- that is confidence. 

I definitely am hoping that Smothers will finally be a dual threat QB whose primary talent is passing instead of running.

• Plus1 2
48 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

That third string QB was really good. Thought he moved the ball better than the other two guys. TU has a great D and good enough O- they’re fun to watch this year. Love me some AAC football, looking forward to seeing them play UC twice to end the season.

38 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

Well...........

Think of a bigger, open field faster Luke

My biggest question is whether or not he has thoroughbred passing skills or not though. We need that Joe Ganz type of guy to come in here and loosen up the field a bunch with actual passing ability.

• Fire 1