Let's Discuss

PaulCrewe

30 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

How can the QB's not get better but get worse? Is something they are doing behind the scenes causing this?

I think the easy answer is yes, but as for what that "something" is? I'm not sure. That's the $1 million dollar question.

Whatever it is, it's pretty clear that the players are struggling to execute offensively and defensively. I don't think it's for a lack of effort or a lack of want-to, either. These kids are talented enough to be winning 8-9 games. That means that problem is more than likely somewhere else with the overall coaching/development and the culture.

And unfortunately, for what feels like the 10th year in a row, Nebraska seems to be getting worse as the season goes along... not better.

• Plus1 1

45 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I don't think I'm understanding the question. There have been quite a few successful B1G quarterbacks in the last decade or so that were fairly efficient passers regardless of their performances against Nebraska. I don't think what Nebraska is asking/looking for is totally unorthodox or unreasonable.

Perhaps the coaching staff's teaching methods or expectations are failing, but Nebraska is absolutely capable of finding a QB who can complete 60% of their passes on a 2:1 TD/INT ratio.

it was mostly a joke because we tend to make average QB's look very good.

• Plus1 1

First, let me begin by saying that I have 34 years of experience watching this program.  The difference between where this program is now, and where it was in the days where 9-3 (and a New Year's humiliation) was the standard is discipline.  Discipline to not line up offsides, or commit repeated false starts, or fail to complete the quarterback / center exchange, or gulp, not fumble.  Simply put, discipline to avoid penalties and turnovers.

In those days, the 3 losses came as a result of NU coming up against superior athletes and / or coaches.  Frustrating, but understandable.

Recruiting or scheming will not fix this program, no matter who the coach is.  Unfortunately, this program now has a culture of losing and complacency.  That culture now permeates our execution of drives and plays.  

Very sad to watch such a proud program deteriorate like this.  

Bottom line: I thank Coach Frost for all he has done for our program, as a player, an ambassador, and a coach, but I do not think his body of work to date is indicative of future success.  He will complete his contract (whether out of duty or an inability of the administration to go elsewhere), but I do not see progress where we need it, discipline.

• Plus1 1

I am interested if Frost can identify the shortcomings (recruit-development, Chin, play calling duties...) and make correct changes to them. If he cannot, he will go the way of Callahan. He better get grade “A” upgrades with experience at doing the job. I hope he doesn’t double down on doing the job his way regardless of production and loyal to the point of fault. Recruiting will go in the toilet with more crap games/seasons. 

• Plus1 1
On 11/22/2020 at 9:05 PM, Jeremy said:

The Buckeyes get 5-star kids and transfers that can throw the ball. WE DON'T. 

So if this is the case, and I do agree, then why are we running a scheme thats based on having a quarterback who is elite and receivers to match?  If you can run the ball, control the line, you will win more games than you lose.