How did we get here

HANC

If he doesn't show drastic improvement next season, the I believe the hot seat label apply. That would be after yr 4 and if we moved on it would be after year 5, which would be financially more realistic and no one could say he didn't get enough time. I am saying that people calling for his job now are 2  yrs early.

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Yep. If the bar was don't get your s#!t stomped by a crap Illinois team in year 3, well we didn't even clear that. Mike Riley 12-14 in the B1G, Scott Frost 7-15 in the B1G. Frost has under performed Riley, and were gonna act like it's insane to say he's on the hotseat? Give me a break...

I really do believe he gets a pass for the first two years.  He inherited a dumpster fire.

However, the overall lack of progress in year 3 is completely on him and his staff.  They were man handled today by one of the worst programs in the country.  There should be no question that that Nebraska is probably the worst team in the conference.  I’d hate to play Penn State again.

Frost has no QB and I believe that is a huge factor in the offensive issues.  I don’t understand the defensive problems at all.

This team gets pushed around and has no swagger.  That’s on the head coach.  Even with a bad QB, they should not get destroyed by Illinois.

• Plus1 1

Any reference to Riley needs to come with the caveat that he made this mess. Firing him saved him enduring this, and it possibly being worse. He made us soft as a case of extra soft toilet paper. 

That isn’t excusing SF; he hasn’t got the job done. Today was unacceptable. its never okay to lose to Illinois and even more unacceptable to lose in the fashion we did. 

Anyone accepting that is part of the problem. SF needs to  be held accountable. Does that mean he should be fired? No, not at this point, but that seat should absolutely be getting uneasy. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know how we got here. "Husker Nation" didn't get us here. I didn't fire Frank Solich or any of the other coaches. I just wanted a competent team that didn't look like buffoons four games a year. Does that make this my fault? Our fault?

I feel like a competent AD, Head Coach and a couple of good Offensive & Defensive Coordinators could just do wonders here.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

However, the overall lack of progress in year 3 is completely on him and his staff.  They were man handled today by one of the worst programs in the country.  There should be no question that that Nebraska is probably the worst team in the conference.  I’d hate to play Penn State again.

Year 3 is an interesting benchmark for me. All the coaches who make a turn around, no matter the circumstance, have usually had a .500 season in conference. after 3 full seasons. I'm not saying, "absolutely don't give Frost more time", I'm saying if Frost does figure it out, it will be the exception to the rule.

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

I don't know how we got here. "Husker Nation" didn't get us here. I didn't fire Frank Solich or any of the other coaches. I just wanted a competent team that didn't look like buffoons four games a year. Does that make this my fault? Our fault?

I feel like a competent AD, Head Coach and a couple of good Offensive & Defensive Coordinators could just do wonders here.

No, you didnt and I didnt, but the fan base overall did. When the fan base becomes overwhelming vocal with concern, especially those with the big $$, administration tends to listen. Th hat is exactly what happened in each of the scenarios. Yes, administration made poor hires, so they deserve most of blame. Post not directed at every individual, but more general

4 minutes ago, HANC said:

If he doesn't show drastic improvement next season, the I believe the hot seat label apply. That would be after yr 4 and if we moved on it would be after year 5, which would be financially more realistic and no one could say he didn't get enough time. I am saying that people calling for his job now are 2  yrs early.

I agree. Calling for his head now is too early. Personally I will never call for it. I have been extremely disappointed thus far but I cannot and never will be able to imagine there is another coach anywhere who will care as much or try as hard. There likely are more talented and better coaches out there but not a single one of them will ever be as committed to the cause as SF is. IMO SF is our last and only hope. I’m may be strange but if SF can’t get it done, I don’t care if it ever happens. I just don’t have any desire to follow this team through another HC change.

• Plus1 2
Just now, HANC said:

No, you didnt and I didnt, but the fan base overall did. When the fan base becomes overwhelming vocal with concern, especially those with the big $$, administration tends to listen. Th hat is exactly what happened in each of the scenarios. Yes, administration made poor hires, so they deserve most of blame. Post not directed at every individual, but more general

I get what you're saying. But none of what has happened since Osborne retired is the "fault" of the fans.

We just want competence. And occasionally to compete for a conference title. And relevance.

That's not asking too much from a team with Nebraska's resources.

• Plus1 1

Frost has or had the fan support, administration support, but doesn't seem to have really had the team support.  Football is a team sport.  everyone needs to execute and that isn't happening.  Individual players have success because of the rest of the team.  He's wrong for this job.  Maybe the spotlight is too bright, maybe the pressure is to great...I don't know, maybe he was a good QB but just isn't a great HC.  I'm just so frustrated.

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I get what you're saying. But none of what has happened since Osborne retired is the "fault" of the fans.

We just want competence. And occasionally to compete for a conference title. And relevance.

That's not asking too much from a team with Nebraska's resources.

Fair enough.  I 100% agree it isnt too much to ask. Although it may not be fans fault, I fo think fans and booster play a part into firings. Maybe the root of my issue goes back to Bo. Since then bad hires have caused fans to react and demand better.

Rutgers already beat Michigan State and is currently beating Michigan in 2d OT.  Rutgers is improving on a steeper trajectory than the Huskers.  That should be as unacceptable to everyone here as it is to me.  I'm disgusted. 

UPDATE:  Michigan is still fighting, but the fact that Rutgers forced their backs against a wall shows moxie

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

Rutgers already beat Michigan State and is currently beating Michigan in 2d OT.  Rutgers is improving on a steeper trajectory than the Huskers.  That should be as unacceptable to everyone here as it is to me.  I'm disgusted.

This is where I’m at.  Improved leadership should have made this post Riley squad better.

How many times did Frost reference how soft the squad was when he got there.  They might not be as soft anymore, but the product is easily as bad as it was before.

The lack of progress is embarrassing.

• Haha 1