How do we turn it around

tmfr15

We've seen 28 games of the Frost era and most aren't pleased. Like the county as a whole, Nebraska fans are roughly split about whether or not Scott is the right man for the job.

So as entertainment for those of us who believe he is the man and as encouragement for those who don't, let's hear some stories about how you feel Scott turns this around from where we are now to a place of national prominence. How long will it take, who will be the coordinators, and are any of the major playmakers for the he rise on Nebraska's roster now?

1 hour ago, Jeremy said:

I formation. Power run/option. Control the clock, move the chains. Keep the defense off the field. Defensively, commit to stopping the run. Whatever it takes. 

I get things are bad but there is no world were we run the I formation  regularly any time soon.  How many teams in football run the I on a regular basis? 

3 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

I get things are bad but there is no world were we run the I formation  regularly any time soon.  How many teams in football run the I on a regular basis? 

How many ran the option when we were perfecting it? But that doesn’t matter. We’re not going to do that. Maybe more of a pro-set and not a spread. Something that doesn’t have so much “reading” involved. I think we have capable QB’s, but no one is teaching them how to read the D.  That’s what i suspected anyway. 

on D, I have no idea. I can’t even wrap my head around how bad the coaching is. 

You gotta let this go for atleast to 5 years...he needs to get 2 more years of his recruits and hopefully keep em. Get Frost out of play calling and make sure you have the best O ad D Coord. money can buy.  if it comes to replacing him, then you almost gotta replace him while he is here...dont get behind an 8 ball of firing him and having to "get somebody" here in 60 days. It has to be planned out better and on the down low. We need the right guy, not a guy who will "do great with our facilites and tradition"

Not sure power I is going to help recruiting and with todays defenses, you would have to probably have the best offense in the country to pull it off and we dont and wont. 

Finally... move south...in the 70s/80s the average player sent 7XX miles from home to play on tv for one of the 20 who played on TV. Now its like 200 miles. lottta kids come from the south. they are staying south more...closer to home

Firing coaches in 3-4 years hasnt helped the situation, we dont want to do that if we dont have to almost to a fault. 

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

I think this is part of the problem and developing a niche to recruit to was the genius of Dr. Tom.  With the challenges of recruiting to Nebraska to think we are going to go head to head doing the exact same thing as everyone else means we'll probably be middle of the road at best.  No top program would recruit an Aaron Taylor now.

That said, I think another part of the of the problem is everyone, from the administration to the fans, are getting ahead of themselves with goals.  Sure it's great to want to play in the CC and playoffs but this team needs to master the basics of blocking, tackling, assignments, and execution first.  This was another of TOs genius.  It was about competing with yourself to perform the basics to perfection and with that the wins will follow.  

1 minute ago, Scarlet said:

I think this is part of the problem and developing a niche to recruit to was the genius of Dr. Tom.  With the challenges of recruiting to Nebraska to think we are going to go head t head doing the exact same thing as everyone else means we'll probably be middle of the road at best.  Nobody top program would recruit an Aaron Taylor now.

That said, I think another part of the of the problem is everyone, from the administration to the fans, are getting ahead of themselves with goals.  Sure it's great to want to play in the CC and playoffs but this team needs to master the basics of blocking, tackling, assignments, and execution first.  This was another of TOs genius.  It was about competing with yourself to perform the basics to perfection and with that the wins will follow.  

Part of the problem with running I formation regularly is no coach in the country actually does it. Who will we hire that will install this offense? Maybe a blue hair, but no one thats actually a NCAA HC candidate 

1 hour ago, krc1995 said:

How many ran the option when we were perfecting it? But that doesn’t matter. We’re not going to do that. Maybe more of a pro-set and not a spread. Something that doesn’t have so much “reading” involved. I think we have capable QB’s, but no one is teaching them how to read the D.  That’s what i suspected anyway. 

on D, I have no idea. I can’t even wrap my head around how bad the coaching is. 

The answer to your question is irrelevant. The point is who are we gonna bring in to install a I heavy offense? Its not about if it would work or not, it's about is there anyone out there who would actually install it. Realistically the answer is no. 

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

A majority of the top teams have it as a part of their game plan.  We do not need it to be the staple of our offense but it would be pretty damn handy to be able to run it when needed.   

Just now, Nebfanatic said:

Part of the problem with running I formation regularly is no coach in the country actually does it. Who will we hire that will install this offense? Maybe a blue hair, but no one thats actually a NCAA HC candidate 

Yeah I get it.  This thing is so broken I don't know if anyone has the answers right now. 

But Frost came from that system.  If anyone could at least incorporate elements of the I-bone it's him. 

I'm not so much getting hung up on scheme as I am saying figure out what it is you're going to do and master the basics first.  It seems OCs out think themselves with scheme and thus out think their players.

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

The answer to your question is irrelevant. The point is who are we gonna bring in to install a I heavy offense? Its not about if it would work or not, it's about is there anyone out there who would actually install it. Realistically the answer is no. 

Frost knows it

40 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

A majority of the top teams have it as a part of their game plan.  We do not need it to be the staple of our offense but it would be pretty damn handy to be able to run it when needed.   

Evidence to back up this claim? Because I'm not seeing it. A majority of the top teams? That's just not true. And to be fair, we have used I as a part of our game plan this year. 

42 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Frost knows it

Ok and? That doesn't mean he will be making that the bread and butter any time soon

• Plus1 1