How do we turn it around

tmfr15

Model it after OU maybe?  They sling it, run it, score at will.  And they used to be wishbone and I-form.

The idea that you have to go back to a certain way isn't going to help. 

Teams most difficult to defend have an accurate QB with solid pass pro blocking up front.  Just look around.  It can be done. 

40 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Evidence to back up this claim? Because I'm not seeing it. A majority of the top teams? That's just not true. And to be fair, we have used I as a part of our game plan this year. 

Ok and? That doesn't mean he will be making that the bread and butter any time soon

Bama scored 2 TDs yesterday out of the I.  Clemson, ND and Georgia have ran out of it this year.  A majority of the teams use it for short yardage and goal line offenses.  Again,  it doesn't need to be our sole offense but we do/should have it as a part of our plan.

We ran it a couple times against OSU and haven't seen it since.  That isn't exactly being a part of our game. 

1 hour ago, Scarlet said:

I think this is part of the problem and developing a niche to recruit to was the genius of Dr. Tom.  With the challenges of recruiting to Nebraska to think we are going to go head to head doing the exact same thing as everyone else means we'll probably be middle of the road at best.  No top program would recruit an Aaron Taylor now.

That said, I think another part of the of the problem is everyone, from the administration to the fans, are getting ahead of themselves with goals.  Sure it's great to want to play in the CC and playoffs but this team needs to master the basics of blocking, tackling, assignments, and execution first.  This was another of TOs genius.  It was about competing with yourself to perform the basics to perfection and with that the wins will follow.  

I agree!  Many times yesterday these boys looked like they didn’t know what they were doing! They need to eat, drink, sleep the basics until they can perform them without even thinking. They will be automatic. 
After this year all of the Riley era kids will be gone. We have 17 seniors on the roster but we also have a bunch of freshman and more will be added. We need coaches who will coach these boys up to be winners. 

I think a couple hit on this already, Frost needs an identity. It was "UCFast" at UCF. They played with Tempo, they had burners all over the field. Their Defense gunned for turnovers. 

At Nebraska, we really have none of the speed (on the field). We don't really play with tempo. I think Frost wants to be a power running team, but it's hard to tell. We never win the turnover battle. Literally the only Identity he's installed at Nebraska is "Undisciplined". 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Ok and? That doesn't mean he will be making that the bread and butter any time soon

You're in a thread discussing how you'd fix the problem.  You've been pretty good at shooting down ideas so far.  How about contributing and throwing out a few of your own?  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Husker NoNo said:

We “fix” it by being patient and letting this one play out. I completely agree, it’s bad, but if we keep switching coaching staffs nothing will get better. 

Frost has made mistakes which set us back, but unless people believe he doesn’t care...a move would be short-sighted. 

^^^1000 times this^^^^^

Sometimes a fan base just needs to be patient...as hard as that can be. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

None of Nebraska's turn-overs, penalties, missed tackles and assignments has to do with the complexities of the system they're being asked to play. The "system" is football, and almost every other team is doing it better than Nebraska. It's still about desire and discipline, which includes not accepting defeat when thing turn south in the second quarter, firing up yourself and your teammates on the sideline, and if you're a coach it means helping young men get their head in the game and making halftime adjustments so they don't simply repeat and get used to their failures. Some of that is adjusting your system and drilling in on technique, but there's got to be a joy of the game and a serious thirst for winning. We're just not seeing that. Also, we may not be seeing players who are losing faith in the program. That can be a real cancer. 

Let's start by aspiring to be Illinois, a low-tier team with qb problems that came in to an opponent's house, played motivated football for all four quarters, and joyously celebrated a rout of a supposedly better team. 

• Plus1 1

Most of the best players on the team are redshirt sophomores and younger, they need another year or two and the 2-deep will be developed throughout the program. That doesn’t explain the losses, but the young talent we have is very promising.

Do we think Nebraska is a turnkey school where a coach shows up, wins right away and solves our problems? Or does a coach actually need 4-5 years to get his guys through the program?

We definitely shouldn’t be this bad and the coaching staff is at fault. In regard to yesterday, I think it was a team that bought into themselves, came out flat, and is not good enough to recover from mistakes - especially when the defense lays an egg like that. The defense will win games, but the offense is losing us more games. 

The lack of production at QB is glaring, as we see it’s not only an individual fault and more about identity issues. Our WRs need to get into the game. While they don’t have the most talent, they haven’t been utilized. They need to stretch the field, one play in particular could have been a house call if Luke saw Betts with 3-yards separation.

• Plus1 2