How do we turn it around

tmfr15

9 minutes ago, admo said:

Riley went 6-0 with the Huskers.  Ranked in top 10.  Was that not real enough for you?

I hope the Huskers get it going too, with Frost especially.  Because he's my guy.  But you said give it time, as if no Husker fan has thought of that in the past 20 games.  It's year three so far, and his staff and team are more than a few steps behind.  Like it or not, that's just how it is.

Nothing is going to make this sound better.  How much of that was the focused skill of the great mike riley, or the fact that Sam Foltz died and his teammates played there asses off for his memory.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, lo country said:

Not aimed at you as I love the history of the walk on program, but I wonder if the receiver position has taken a hit because of this.  Kade playing sparingly last year because of injury.  The seasoner opener had Kade and 2 walk-ons starting IIRC.  So my question do walk-ons get adequate reps to be productive as starters?  Or does getting them prepared to be game ready take away from the starters....I really do not know, but when we have 87 schollies and 150ish on the roster some guy (position) if not all will suffer.  I don't think anyone can get enough quality or even quantity reps.  

And Walk-ons are contributing this year. Kade, Reimer etc...Amongst others.

Eh, pretty sure the answer to both questions is Keith Williams going 0-for-3 years recruiting anyone that would actually contirbute at the position.

The walk-ons have more college experience than any of the scholarship guys.  So it took less to get them ready.

2 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Martinez was being mentioned in the same breath as fellow freshman Trevor Lawrence.  It's only hindsight about Burrow.

I mean the crux of your argument is Meyer missed on his eval. Meyer really didn't miss on his eval if he went with a dude that was a straight up baller and one of the best QBs in CFB. No one is calling out Frost for missing on an eval if AMart was even half the player Haskins was. I'm not a huge fan of bashing Frost for not going after Burrow, but it does show a lack of understanding of his QB room. The same cannot be said for Meyer.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I mean the crux of your argument is Meyer missed on his eval. Meyer really didn't miss on his eval if he went with a dude that was a straight up baller and one of the best QBs in CFB. No one is calling out Frost for missing on an eval if AMart was even half the player Haskins was. I'm not a huge fan of bashing Frost for not going after Burrow, but it does show a lack of understanding of his QB room. The same cannot be said for Meyer.

Meyer has an illustrious history with quarterbacks.  Frost's isn't too bad either just a much shorter time frame comparison.

Urb is a good as they come.

34 minutes ago, admo said:

Riley went 6-0 with the Huskers.  Ranked in top 10.  Was that not real enough for you?

I hope the Huskers get it going too, with Frost especially.  Because he's my guy.  But you said give it time, as if no Husker fan has thought of that in the past 20 games.  It's year three so far, and his staff and team are more than a few steps behind.  Like it or not, that's just how it is.

No, Riley went 9-4, with a 62-3 loss to Ohio State. SIXTY-TWO to THREE.  Also got boat-raced by Tennessee, a coach that would also get fired the next season. Our fired coach was one of the worst of the fired coaches. (Is Scott doing better now? No. But he might...?)

21 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

No, Riley went 9-4, with a 62-3 loss to Ohio State. SIXTY-TWO to THREE.  Also got boat-raced by Tennessee, a coach that would also get fired the next season. Our fired coach was one of the worst of the fired coaches. (Is Scott doing better now? No. But he might...?)

Might? But when? Riley only got 3 years so you can only compare Riley at 3 years and Frost at 3 years. If Frost gets it going in year 10 that doesn’t prove he is better than Riley. Who knows if Riley wouldn’t have turned a corner given that much time. Apples to apples Riley won more games. Sad but true 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Might? But when? Riley only got 3 years so you can only compare Riley at 3 years and Frost at 3 years. If Frost gets it going in year 10 that doesn’t prove he is better than Riley. Who knows if Riley wouldn’t have turned a corner given that much time. Apples to apples Riley won more games. Sad but true 

Riley was a career .500 coach, and that would never have changed in Lincoln. He was absolutely destroying our program, and his firing was absolutely justified. Frost was probably the most sought-after coach that season, and we would've been crazy not to go after him. Since then...things have just gone worse than anyone could have imagined. 

50 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

That was also his second season playing with kids who weren't recruited to play a pro-style offense.  it's funny to listen to people who say give Frost a chance when they didn't say the same for Riley.  With that said, we're stuck with Frost and I hope he can turn things around.  

Turns things around?  We can start with a much more aggressive defense with press coverage.  I'd like to see just how much talent our corners have instead of letting them languish 10 yards from the LOS and making tackles after a simple pitch and catch.

On offense, I'd like to see more sophistication.  In short, I want the Oregon offense.  The real one.  Begin by establishing the run and build from there.  We start by getting a guy who can snap the freakin' ball into the hands of the QB.  It feels like we've been dealing with timing crushing snaps forever.  Teach the guy to do it right or bench him.  

19 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

The answer to your question is irrelevant. The point is who are we gonna bring in to install a I heavy offense? Its not about if it would work or not, it's about is there anyone out there who would actually install it. Realistically the answer is no. 

Didn’t Frost know the I formation under Osborne?

The usual knock on the I is that it doesn’t foster a passing attack like the spread does.  However, I remember that Rathman and Craig set running AND receiving records playing for 49’ers under the west coast guru Bill Walsh.

Biggest changes needed- coaching!  They need to teach basics and develop the players as well as devise schemes and scout opponents and high school players. 
I remember Vince Lombardi saying we only have a few plays but we practice and run those plays better than anyone else.  I don’t think our assistants teach, have high enough standards or demand performance from the players.