How do we turn it around

tmfr15

I will be the first to admit that I was wrong in 2003 when I wasn't that upset Solich was let go.  There was a noticeable change in the players we were fielding, we were getting boat-raced by teams, and it didn't seem like things would get any better.  17 years later, I am not so sure the observations of 2001-2003 were wrong...but the decision to move on in 2003 most definitely was.  It created a norm where the Huskers are constantly chasing the past amongst a fan base that has little-to-no patience for building towards the future. 

1-3 (likely to be 1-4) completely sucks. But this is a problem that started 22 years ago when a legend walked off the field for the last time.  There is NO way to fix a problem this large in 2 1/2 recruiting cycles.  Patience people!

18 minutes ago, Husker NoNo said:

I will be the first to admit that I was wrong in 2003 when I wasn't that upset Solich was let go.  There was a noticeable change in the players we were fielding, we were getting boat-raced by teams, and it didn't seem like things would get any better.  17 years later, I am not so sure the observations of 2001-2003 were wrong...but the decision to move on in 2003 most definitely was.  It created a norm where the Huskers are constantly chasing the past amongst a fan base that has little-to-no patience for building towards the future. 

1-3 (likely to be 1-4) completely sucks. But this is a problem that started 22 years ago when a legend walked off the field for the last time.  There is NO way to fix a problem this large in 2 1/2 recruiting cycles.  Patience people!

But the issue isn't recruiting. The talent is there. We have greatly improved on that, a credit to Frost. What concerns me is that it isn't showing up on the field. Now, obviously, not every guy you sign will be all he's cracked up to be, but the product on the field can only be explained by poor coaching.

I just want to see a decent Husker team again. Hell, I'd take the Pelini era at this point. It's so depressing. This state needs a good Nebraska football program. It deserves one.

I agree that Frost is getting talent, we have a number of great young players on the two deep. But I am arguing that we need a combination of talent AND development.  If things are not better when Frost and company have redshirt Juniors and Seniors on the field with a sprinkling of talented redshirt and true Sophomores and Freshmen on the two deep, I will be right alongside those who are calling for a change to be made.  I just do not think we are ANYWHERE near that being a reality.  Currently the ideal depth chart equation is flipped at Nebraska, and we have little to no depth behind what is listed on the two-deep.

11 hours ago, Stone Cold said:

I think thats a good point about the qb, maybe weve been trying to hard to find a eric crouch, or a tommy frazier, or a scott frost.  Might just need to find someone whose good and huckin the ball down the field.  I didnt see the game so i dont know if the d might of been able to keep us in the game of the o would of kept them off the field.  Not sure

Give me a Joe Ganz and we can build something off that

1 minute ago, UniversalMartin said:

Give me a Joe Ganz and we can build something off that

I mean that Qb up at Rutgers is doing well with that team. 

How do we turn it around. Well our Defense sucks!!  Offensively we Put AM back at QB and keep McC on the field at RB. Him and Wandel on the field are weapons. Our RB's now just arent doing it.

I think Frost takes it a little more seriously than Riley did in terms of player development.

I think Frost is better than Callahan at understanding the college game.

I think Frost is a better recruiter than Bo Pelini.

And I don't think any of it seems to make a lick of difference because it's year 3 and his record is trash and it's mostly his fault.  Sure, year 1, blame a couple of those games on Riley turning it into sloth squad.  But the rest, that's on Frost.

I think it comes down to timing.  Frost taking over from Bo, this story goes SO much differently.  But after he turned UCF into a force and the take it or leave it forever offer came in he took it because he had to not because he wanted to.  You can see it in his face the whole time when he first was announced.  To a degree, you still see it.  It's not what he wanted anymore.  But now he's stuck with it and he is absolutely committed to making it work. But the hole is deep afn the climb out is rough.  There is no guarantee at this point he gets out of it.

• Plus1 3
9 minutes ago, Redux said:

I think Frost takes it a little more seriously than Riley did in terms of player development.

I think Frost is better than Callahan at understanding the college game.

I think Frost is a better recruiter than Bo Pelini.

And I don't think any of it seems to make a lick of difference because it's year 3 and his record is trash and it's mostly his fault.  Sure, year 1, blame a couple of those games on Riley turning it into sloth squad.  But the rest, that's on Frost.

I think it comes down to timing.  Frost taking over from Bo, this story goes SO much differently.  But after he turned UCF into a force and the take it or leave it forever offer came in he took it because he had to not because he wanted to.  You can see it in his face the whole time when he first was announced.  To a degree, you still see it.  It's not what he wanted anymore.  But now he's stuck with it and he is absolutely committed to making it work. But the hole is deep afn the climb out is rough.  There is no guarantee at this point he gets out of it.

But lets be honest. He could probably win with this team in the conference UCF is in. He would have the same record in the B1G with his UCF teams that were good that he has now with NEB.  

I mean UCF is still doing well with a new coach. 

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, BaytownHusker said:

But lets be honest. He could probably win with this team in the conference UCF is in. He would have the same record in the B1G with his UCF teams that were good that he has now with NEB.  

I mean UCF is still doing well with a new coach. 

I disagree to an extent.  Look at what Iowa State is doing, you can do better than you should with under average talent.  We have the same level if not more and are beyond flat.  Nebraska MAY be 5-0 in the Sun Belt, but I honestly don't think so.  There's no reliability in game.  There's no fire to win when their backs are up against the wall.  Hell, this team drove right down Ohio State's throat then completely fell apart like that was all they had.  Part of it is quality of opponents. Sure.  But this is year freaking 3.  It's his team now.  These are his players.

2 minutes ago, Redux said:

I disagree to an extent.  Look at what Iowa State is doing, you can do better than you should with under average talent.  We have the same level if not more and are beyond flat.  Nebraska MAY be 5-0 in the Sun Belt, but I honestly don't think so.  There's no reliability in game.  There's no fire to win when their backs are up against the wall.  Hell, this team drove right down Ohio State's throat then completely fell apart like that was all they had.  Part of it is quality of opponents. Sure.  But this is year freaking 3.  It's his team now.  These are his players.

I agree 100 with you. And what I bolded touches on what I have been saying about this offense.  Who was in the back field on that drive?  

Saturday was deeply disappointing for everyone, and I think raises some concerning questions. But before we get out the pitch forks too much, I'd just like to point out our SP+ ratings over the last five years and this year:

2015: 33

2016: 38

2017: 62

2018: 48

2019: 55

2020 (before Saturday): 36

We're making progress and this team has shown improvement. We played three good teams to open the year and laid a stinker against a bad team while starting five freshmen on offense and turning the ball over seven times (if you count the fake punt and 3rd-and-25 hands-to-the-face penalties as turnovers). Sometimes that happens. It was disappointing and it sucks, but it doesn't mean we have to throw the whole thing out or that this experiment is cooked. We all agreed early in Frost's tenure that he needed a lot of time and latitude to fix this but we believed he could; progress isn't linear and the definition of faith is trusting something is happening, even when you can't necessarily see the results. I, personally, am just glad we got to play this year and am going to chill out and see where this goes.

• Plus1 4

Short term

1. Start Martinez at QB and ride him. Though less crafty than Luke, Adrian is more skillful at distributing the football and is a better game manager which is what our team needs at this point. Many fans thought Luke was fantastic when he got in at the end of the Northwestern game in slinging passes left and right. Most probably didn't catch on that Northwestern's defense was playing our receiver 10-15 yards off the line and the receivers were wide open. When pressed, the receivers weren't nearly as open and Luke didn't trust his arm... which led to 26 carries.

2. Use our runningbacks as intended. We have quite a bit of talent at the position and we have been reluctant to give them opportunities except for a few games in previous years. Mills, Scott, Johnson, Morrison and Thompkins are skilled players, we should try and give them more opportunities until proven to not work. Mix in Wandale & Luke as runningbacks/wildcat QBs and be creative in that regard as well. 

3. In conjunction with #2, focus on controlling the game clock and not rushing into bad plays just to be up tempo unless near the end of quarters. We are not skilled at being up tempo well enough yet and it seems to have led us into several poor decisions or penalties so far this season. 

4. Teach the defensive backs to look back for the football when a receiver has their hands extended and their heads turned back. Cam is the only starter that I have seen do this so far this season.

Long term

1. Consider revising the offensive strategy. We are no closer to having an identity today than we had on day one with Frost & Co. Therefore, we should revise our plan and become a run first program again. I'm not saying we need the I-formation back full-time or run 60 times a game but we cannot rely on screen passes and QB scrambles as a means of sustained success. The offense is supposed to compliment the defense, if the offense is sluggish and not scoring, the defense we've assembled will not work. 

2. Insert Nebraska-raised players into the game more often. In reviewing the two-deep, we have roughly 10-12 Nebraska-born players in the top 44 or so on the depth chart. It may not seem like a big deal but I believe playing for pride can go a long ways towards avoiding such embarrassing performances like last weekend or last year at Minnesota where passion was visibly lacking on camera. Though the walk-on safety from Yutan/McCook/wherever might be a couple inches shorter, a step or two slower, etc. They know that when they go back to their hometowns, they will hear it from friends, family and the mailman about why it looked like the team didn't care. I don't know if we have a Brandon Rigoni in the wings but I'd be surprised if there isn't a safety/linebacker on the team that would be able to give their all and thereby push others on the team to excel. 

3. Keep the coaching staff intact unless absolutely obvious to move along. I know this is controversial but there are no quick fixes and a merry-go-round of assistants hasn't seemed to help us very much in 20+ years. Continuity was a big factor in building sustained success at several programs. It will be frustrating at times but keeping the staff as together as possible should yield better outcomes in the future as was proven at Iowa, Kansas State and us a few decades ago. 

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Short term

1. Start Martinez at QB and ride him. Though less crafty than Luke, Adrian is more skillful at distributing the football and is a better game manager which is what our team needs at this point. Many fans thought Luke was fantastic when he got in at the end of the Northwestern game in slinging passes left and right. Most probably didn't catch on that Northwestern's defense was playing our receiver 10-15 yards off the line and the receivers were wide open. When pressed, the receivers weren't nearly as open and Luke didn't trust his arm... which led to 26 carries.

2. Use our runningbacks as intended. We have quite a bit of talent at the position and we have been reluctant to give them opportunities except for a few games in previous years. Mills, Scott, Johnson, Morrison and Thompkins are skilled players, we should try and give them more opportunities until proven to not work. Mix in Wandale & Luke as runningbacks/wildcat QBs and be creative in that regard as well. 

3. In conjunction with #2, focus on controlling the game clock and not rushing into bad plays just to be up tempo unless near the end of quarters. We are not skilled at being up tempo well enough yet and it seems to have led us into several poor decisions or penalties so far this season. 

4. Teach the defensive backs to look back for the football when a receiver has their hands extended and their heads turned back. Cam is the only starter that I have seen do this so far this season.

Long term

1. Consider revising the offensive strategy. We are no closer to having an identity today than we had on day one with Frost & Co. Therefore, we should revise our plan and become a run first program again. I'm not saying we need the I-formation back full-time or run 60 times a game but we cannot rely on screen passes and QB scrambles as a means of sustained success. The offense is supposed to compliment the defense, if the offense is sluggish and not scoring, the defense we've assembled will not work. 

2. Insert Nebraska-raised players into the game more often. In reviewing the two-deep, we have roughly 10-12 Nebraska-born players in the top 44 or so on the depth chart. It may not seem like a big deal but I believe playing for pride can go a long ways towards avoiding such embarrassing performances like last weekend or last year at Minnesota where passion was visibly lacking on camera. Though the walk-on safety from Yutan/McCook/wherever might be a couple inches shorter, a step or two slower, etc. They know that when they go back to their hometowns, they will hear it from friends, family and the mailman about why it looked like the team didn't care. I don't know if we have a Brandon Rigoni in the wings but I'd be surprised if there isn't a safety/linebacker on the team that would be able to give their all and thereby push others on the team to excel. 

3. Keep the coaching staff intact unless absolutely obvious to move along. I know this is controversial but there are no quick fixes and a merry-go-round of assistants hasn't seemed to help us very much in 20+ years. Continuity was a big factor in building sustained success at several programs. It will be frustrating at times but keeping the staff as together as possible should yield better outcomes in the future as was proven at Iowa, Kansas State and us a few decades ago. 

I agree with short term #1 and 2 - McCaffrey earned a shot, and I haven't heard from the "McCaffrey is a better passer, look at his YPA and completion %!" camp since Saturday. I think he'll be great, be throwing the ball he looked like a redshirt freshman who wasn't a full time QB until last year. AM has his own issues, but he is the better passer.

3 and 4, I don't think it's that simple. I don't think we've rushed into 'bad' plays, we've rushed and turned good play calls and designs into bad plays. Very curious if anything comes of Frost's comments that he'll simplify to what the young guys can execute. Maybe it's coach speak, but I don't think he's conceded the need to simplify before. Turning your head as a DB is not as easy as it looks, you are more likely to miss the ball while you're turning than actually get around in time. I had no complaints about our DBs technique against PSU, they just need to do it consistently.

Long term, again I'm curious about his comments about simplifying the offense. I think schematically the offense is fine, but if it isn't being executed well you have to adjust as a coach. That may finally be happening, but we'll have to see it to believe it. Strongly disagree on getting Nebraska kids in just because they're hopefully more passionate. I loved Rigoni, but more Rigoni's probably aren't winning us more games. We have passionate home grown kids and they are forcing their way onto the field - Nelson, Reimer, Henrich, etc. #3 I agree with as well. Frost and Co. have been punched in the mouth by the Big Ten, and I think they will adjust. Probably should have adjusted sooner, but they know how to coach. You don't go undefeated without that - but I do think they believed they could use the same things to dominate the Big Ten, and that's just not how it works.