How do we turn it around

tmfr15

Here's a quote from Frost picked up by Hail Varsity.  It speaks volumes....Frost doesn't have answer....IMHO, he is at the point that he does not know how to fix it....

I'll be the first to say I mentioned simplify the game ie less reads...Give the younger receivers plays they can run in their sleep...But then a different perspective from HV.

Frost said he didn’t see Saturday’s performance coming. Other players said they could. Why the disconnect? Carelessness? Tunnel vision?

“I’m going to keep simplifying, if I have to, to make sure these young players can be in the right place and do the right thing,” Frost said. 

That’s about as troubling a statement as a coach in year three can make. And it doesn’t seem to be pointed at wideouts. It can’t be. Transfers are playing as soon as available. Freshmen are producing when given the opportunity. This continues to be about the quarterback spot.

7 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

let running backs run. the ball, get them all some experience.

let the qbs be qbs, running 26 times in a game is bulls#!t, shows we have no offensive identity or plan.

offensive coordinator is not earning his pay!

Luke runs, Wan'dale runs or a crappy screen pass.....That's our offense in a nutshell.....Per an article.  I can't disagree....

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

3 and 4, I don't think it's that simple. I don't think we've rushed into 'bad' plays, we've rushed and turned good play calls and designs into bad plays. Very curious if anything comes of Frost's comments that he'll simplify to what the young guys can execute. Maybe it's coach speak, but I don't think he's conceded the need to simplify before. Turning your head as a DB is not as easy as it looks, you are more likely to miss the ball while you're turning than actually get around in time. I had no complaints about our DBs technique against PSU, they just need to do it consistently.

Exactly, we rushed into bad plays (outcomes) hence #3. If the players can't handle up tempo very well, we need to manage the clock better and give the defense a break. 

Turning their heads while playing defense is crucial and can be taught. Both Illinois TD passes came with our DBs chasing and face guarding the whole time. To be a turnover focused defense, that seems like one of the more simple details to work on fixing and should be stressed hard with the young guys for future years. 

9 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Strongly disagree on getting Nebraska kids in just because they're hopefully more passionate. I loved Rigoni, but more Rigoni's probably aren't winning us more games. We have passionate home grown kids and they are forcing their way onto the field - Nelson, Reimer, Henrich, etc.

Not necessarily just playing more Nebraska born kids because they are hopefully more passionate but some prove to be better than those ahead of them on the depth chart. Henrich & Reimer are great examples where they've proven to be clear improvements over Mo Berry from last year. I wouldn't be surprised if Isaac Gifford could compare favorably to Dismuke now. Our best teams in the past were able to mix in talent from within the state or very nearby with those who hailed from other areas.

In addition, Nebraska kids seeing other Nebraska kids playing can help in the recruiting game as well. Henrich, Nelson and Betts were huge additions in that regard. Would be nice to see us try and use Hickman more.

14 hours ago, Jeremy said:

Riley was a career .500 coach, and that would never have changed in Lincoln. He was absolutely destroying our program, and his firing was absolutely justified. Frost was probably the most sought-after coach that season, and we would've been crazy not to go after him. Since then...things have just gone worse than anyone could have imagined. 

What is Frosts career winning percentage as head coach? 5 years 

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

What is Frosts career winning percentage as head coach? 5 years 

If we're going to compare Frost to Riley, let's wait another 23 years and see where they stack up. Hopefully, Frost's 13-0 year is more indicative of what he's capable of.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

I think we need to be honest with ourselves at this stage.  Coach Frost is a fine coach and former player, and is dedicated to supporting our student athletes.  However, he is attempting to fix something that has alluded his 3 predecessors, poor programmatic culture.

It may just be more than he can handle.  Moreover, his HC history leads me to believe that his 1 great season at UCF is the exception and not the norm.  

He might look to Luke Fickell as a model for his career.  Ever loyal to OSU, but unable to deliver on that stage.  Fickell is however a good coach at Cincinnati and well-respected in his profession.

If an exit does come for Coach Frost at the end of this contract, let's hope it is mutual and done with respect.

We have to trust in Frost.  We don't have a choice at this point.  We can hope that he wakes up and realizes his system is not going to work here.  Osborne realized that, and he was winning games, just not beating OU.  Power football is our only way back into the conversation.  I don't care what it takes.

I don't care what version of an offense we chose to run, but it can't be the same as all the other Top 25 teams are using, because we can't recruit against most of them at this point.  

My second rant will also not be supported much by most people, but moving to the Big 10 has caused us to lose our pride in football.  This conference, only cares about its bell cows as well.  Sure we make all this money, but at the end of the day, we sacrificed this program for that dough.  We don't belong in this conference.  We can't recruit to this conference.  In the next few years, I hope some consideration goes toward getting back to our roots in the Big 12.  Finding our old rivals, and maybe finding our football pride back as well.

• Haha 2
56 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

We have to trust in Frost.  We don't have a choice at this point.  We can hope that he wakes up and realizes his system is not going to work here.  Osborne realized that, and he was winning games, just not beating OU.  Power football is our only way back into the conversation.  I don't care what it takes.

I don't care what version of an offense we chose to run, but it can't be the same as all the other Top 25 teams are using, because we can't recruit against most of them at this point.  

My second rant will also not be supported much by most people, but moving to the Big 10 has caused us to lose our pride in football.  This conference, only cares about its bell cows as well.  Sure we make all this money, but at the end of the day, we sacrificed this program for that dough.  We don't belong in this conference.  We can't recruit to this conference.  In the next few years, I hope some consideration goes toward getting back to our roots in the Big 12.  Finding our old rivals, and maybe finding our football pride back as well.

^^^^This.

Frost gets 3 more years after this season. 
Ive started 2 threads in the last 2 weeks:

we are not a good football team 

and 

we are getting out coached

both fall on Frost...I’m not delusional. 

somehow, some way he needs to get the talent (and he is getting some decent~good players) on the field and ready to play. 

however, my big reason  with the 3 more years prediction is by next year we will finally have pretty much all his players as rSoph and true juniors. So that just has to mean more wins. By his 5th yr (2022) with a full board of his upperclassmen we’ll see the full results. By 2023 I expect GREAT results. Hopefully, maybe? 

no one thought it would take 4-5 yrs. But let’s live in reality. It’s not good now and it’s hard to point to progress, but this is our guy and every year that goes by he could get better at coaching and our players could make more plays with experience and age. I think and hope it will happen. 

my last prediction would sadly be that if Frost is forced out (if he doesn’t improve), the next coach has a real nice cupboard and comes in and can win right away cuz frost laid the foundation. 

I hope he makes it. What a great story it will be 

1 hour ago, Nebhawk said:

The B1G plays big boy football. What happens in the other conferences is cute,, but the level of play top to bottom here is usually pretty high.. Nebraska should find a way to compete, but coaching ineptitude is a big obstacle. 

The second obstacle is Ohio State. They recruit and gain talent at a pace that only two or three teams can compete with. There is no amount of weight lifting, heart, hardwork or development that will catch Nebraska up to their level.

All we can hope for is the once every two decade perfect storm where Nebraska is unreasonably good and Ohio State is unreasonably bad.

1 hour ago, Nebhawk said:

I 100% agree with you we need to trust in Frost.  He needs to shake up the staff, and in a major way at the end of this year or next at the latest.  I'm still a firm believer he's the right man for the job, he just needs to bring in coaches who are more seasoned and proven to be consistent winners at the P5 level.  Not saying the whole staff needs the axe, but something is clearly broken and that starts up top.

I strongly disagree with your last 2 points.  In terms of offense, I actually think we are recruiting just fine to it, we just don't have the QB (which is the most pivotal position in all of sports in terms of quality of play at that position translating to team success).  I don't want to be the Georgia tech of the big10... outside of getting quality O line (which I'd argue is already happening today, they just need a couple more cycles and maturity), you're relegated to finding the diamonds in the rough and scrapping for 2-3 stars because no recruit of substance is going to sign up for a system from the 1900s.  The game has changed, we've seen it now for a decade plus in college and now in the NFL as of the past few years, the spread is here and it can work wonders, but only when done right, just like any system.

I also strongly disagree with your comparison to the Big10.  We can certainly recruit to this conference, if freaking northwestern can find success with substantially less talent to work with than so can we.. This is a lack of development, not recruiting.  I also disagree with your comment that we lost our pride in football- I think our pride was on full display this past summer when we were one of the few banging down doors for football and our pride is on full display by this fanbase who always shows up on saturdays despite the crap on display.  

Who exactly were our old rivals? Beating up on the likes of Iowa state, k state, kansas, colorado etc was a fun "rivalry" simply because we were good and they werent... They weren't really rivals of ours.. If we stayed in the big12, we'd prolly be just as pissed as we are now and a lot poorer as a progrum financially speaking.  Big10 as a whole is a much better conference- instead of running from competition for a few more wins, we should embrace it, look in the mirror and elevate ourselves to feel like we belong.  Frankly, if I was a fan of Wisconsin, iowa, or other schools, I too would prolly think our fan base is f'n delusional as hell based off how we carry ourselves when the results havent been there since the early 2010s.

Big 12 memories are fond because we were the or one of the top dogs.  Going back there doesn't fix what's broken with this team

• Plus1 1

Some days you just lay a big fat egg when you start believing too much in yourself. I think the majority of the issue is effort and entitlement, it’s sad this still exists and gotta think the door came back to hit them again after watching what Iowa did to PSU. 

There are promising underclassmen performing at a high level right now - very few upperclassmen stand out on O - that I’m counting on ‘22 to turn some heads when the depth fills up top to bottom. 

What I see is that he botched the first year and is trying to play catch up. The transfers have been good and bad. Bad because they missed and it’s a wasted spot, but also good because it’s a numbers game and filtering players through until you have the program stabilized is a good thing - but it shouldn’t look this bad, nor take long. 

The outcome is to hold on for 2-3 more seasons with his contract, boss, and uncertain times. The other “best” options could happen, but won’t.

We’ll see what type of leadership there is this Friday, I’m guessing they’ll bounce back and go toe-to-toe and lose in yet another heartbreaking fashion. It’ll be ugly, it’ll be miserable, and it’s like the par on the 18th hole - they keep bringing you back. Hoping for the best

4 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

The B1G plays big boy football. What happens in the other conferences is cute,, but the level of play top to bottom here is usually pretty high.. Nebraska should find a way to compete, but coaching ineptitude is a big obstacle. 

The second obstacle is Ohio State. They recruit and gain talent at a pace that only two or three teams can compete with. There is no amount of weight lifting, heart, hardwork or development that will catch Nebraska up to their level.

All we can hope for is the once every two decade perfect storm where Nebraska is unreasonably good and Ohio State is unreasonably bad.

I'd settle for competing for the West title.  OSU hasn't been on my radar.