The mental part of football is what is holding Nebraska football back. It's not a talent issue.

uberism

There is talent on that roster. Lot's of it. 

McCaffrey is one of the most electric players in the country in open space. He averages 6 yards a carry as a QB. I can go down the line in all units and point to some guys with good talent. The main issue with the talent topic is that a lot of them are very young and inexperienced. That will change over the next two season. 

With that said, what is holding Nebraska football back is all mental. They looked confused, lost, disinterested, lacked passion, no energy and more to start the game yesterday. How can that be after they went and played as hard as they could against a superior talented team in Ohio State, then should have defeated Northwestern by 2 touchdowns (they defeated WI yesterday), beat PSU, and then laid an egg yesterday. They should have been jacked up to win 2 games in a row and then go into Iowa playing for a winning record. 

You can't compete against Ohio State for almost an entire half if you don't have talent. You aren't going to move the ball for over 420 yards against this Northwestern defense if you don't have talent. Nebraska will be the team to have the most yards against Northwestern this regular season. 

It's all mental. I don't know what it will take for Nebraska to get over the mental hurdle. And, no, swearing the head off isn't going to work either. If it was just a player or two that can be easily fixed, but it was the entire team. Even Frost looked out of it yesterday. 

Get over the mental hurdle and Nebraska football will look vastly different. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

Nebraska needs to let Frost have time, as much time as needed, to rebuild things. What there isn't a problem with is letting him know when things are not acceptable, which was the performance of yesterday. With that said, Saban was a 500% coach early in his career. Bill Billecheck wasn't winning big with the Browns. Dabo wasn't winning big in the first few seasons at Clemson. Barry Alvarez had three losing seasons in his first three seasons. PJ Fleck went from losing seasons to a big outbreak season right back to losing games. There are plenty of other examples. Look at Baylor - got a head coach that only won 1 game during a season and then bolted to the NFL the first second of success. It wasn't that many years ago that Washington went winless and then made the playoffs a couple of years ago. Point is - you can't keep recycling coaches every couple of years and expect things to change. It hasn't worked at TN either. 

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, uberism said:

With that said, what is holding Nebraska football back is all mental. They looked confused, lost, disinterested, lacked passion, no energy and more to start the game yesterday. How can that be after they went and played as hard as they could against a superior talented team in Ohio State, then should have defeated Northwestern by 2 touchdowns (they defeated WI yesterday), beat PSU, and then laid an egg yesterday. They should have been jacked up to win 2 games in a row and then go into Iowa playing for a winning record. 

Don’t we pay coaches to fix these issues or prevent them from happening in the first place?

10 hours ago, uberism said:

With that said, Saban was a 500% coach early in his career. Bill Billecheck wasn't winning big with the Browns. Dabo wasn't winning big in the first few seasons at Clemson

Saban and Dabo have gone under .500 in conference a grand total of 0 times in 38 combined seasons. They have a combined 1 losing season in 38 seasons.  Frost is well on his way to his 3rd sub .500 season in conf in 3 seasons at Nebraska. Frost is well on his was to 3 losing seasons in 3 seasons at Nebraska. 

Sorry, I just really, really, really hate the comparisons to Dabo/Saban - their lows we're never in the stratosphere of our current low. 

• Plus1 3
29 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Sorry, I just really, really, really hate the comparisons to Dabo/Saban - their lows we're never in the stratosphere of our current low. 

Right. They would have never been hired anywhere else. 

the good news about Frost is this seems to be his final destination. Not even trying to pad his resume. 

The difference between DABO and Saban besides the obvious. Neither of them are afraid to line up and play simple football.  Neither are afraid to line up and give their RB 15-20 carry s a game. Saban has won Ships with some average QB's behind a great running game.  Dabo has pretty much had good Qb's. But simple offenses can turn a decent Qb into a good to great Qb.

Iowa, Wisc,Penn St, Michigan, Michigan St all line up and in the I-formation or some type of running formation at least 40-45% of the game and still attempt to run the ball. You cant win games in the 4th quarter against fresh defense's.  Run the rock and keep your defense off the field and fresh instead of 10 3 n outs a game. 

I have said it before Frost and his offense trys to be to cute with the play calling. We arent in a NON- P5 conference where thats gonna work. 

• Plus1 1

33 minutes ago, BaytownHusker said:

The difference between DABO and Saban besides the obvious. Neither of them are afraid to line up and play simple football.  Neither are afraid to line up and give their RB 15-20 carry s a game. Saban has won Ships with some average QB's behind a great running game.  Dabo has pretty much had good Qb's. But simple offenses can turn a decent Qb into a good to great Qb.

Iowa, Wisc,Penn St, Michigan, Michigan St all line up and in the I-formation or some type of running formation at least 40-45% of the game and still attempt to run the ball. You cant win games in the 4th quarter against fresh defense's.  Run the rock and keep your defense off the field and fresh instead of 10 3 n outs a game. 

I have said it before Frost and his offense trys to be to cute with the play calling. We arent in a NON- P5 conference where thats gonna work. 

I mean, we are running the ball better than all of those teams except Wisconsin.  Michigan is currently #102 in the country in rushing.  Michigan State is currently #124 (out of 127).  

Just throwing random statements out and acting like they have some basis in reality isn't doing a lot for credibility.

• Plus1 5
Just now, Mavric said:

I mean, we are running the ball better than all of those teams except Wisconsin.  Michigan is currently #102 in the country in rushing.  Michigan State is currently #124 (out of 127).  

Just throwing random statements out and acting like they have some basis in reality isn't doing a lot for credibility.

I dont necessarily just mean for this season. I also understand both Michigan schools suck about as bad as us right now.  But you cant sit there and tell me that winning the B1G doesnt require a pretty damn good running game Which will then in-turn open up the passing attack. 

And im not looking for your or anyone elses approval of my credibility.  No where did I ever say I was a paid Coach of some sort of power house team. 

1 hour ago, BaytownHusker said:

I dont necessarily just mean for this season. I also understand both Michigan schools suck about as bad as us right now.  But you cant sit there and tell me that winning the B1G doesnt require a pretty damn good running game Which will then in-turn open up the passing attack. 

And im not looking for your or anyone elses approval of my credibility.  No where did I ever say I was a paid Coach of some sort of power house team. 

We have the #4 rushing offense in the B1G in yards per game.  We are #5 in yards per rush.  We have the #36 rush offense in the country.  We are not that far from having a Top 20 rushing offense in the entire country.

You don't like the results and you are just blindly throwing stuff out there that you think will fix it.  Needing to run the ball better is about #17 on the list of things that need to be better for us to be winning.  Could it be better? Yes.  Is getting another 50 rushing yards per game - which would make us at Top 10 rushing offense in the country - going to suddenly make us a great team?  No.

It's just classic complain about everything when we don't like the results.

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

We have the #4 rushing offense in the B1G in yards per game.  We are #5 in yards per rush.  We have the #36 rush offense in the country.  We are not that far from having a Top 20 rushing offense in the entire country.

You don't like the results and you are just blindly throwing stuff out there that you think will fix it.  Needing to run the ball better is about #17 on the list of things that need to be better for us to be winning.  Could it be better? Yes.  Is getting another 50 rushing yards per game - which would make us at Top 10 rushing offense in the country - going to suddenly make us a great team?  No.

It's just classic complain about everything when we don't like the results.

# 4 in the B1G. All from the Qb's.   But yea you are right. Running the ball consistently with the Running-backs wont allow the Qb's to be able to possibly have open Wr's to possibly throw it to or looser coverage possibly. 

But Im just complaining tossing out opinions that wouldnt ever work at any other school in the country.  

Wish I was as smart as the Mavric..  Guess Ill stop posting now. 

• Plus1 1