The mental part of football is what is holding Nebraska football back. It's not a talent issue.

uberism

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Ok....I’ve taken a few days to calm down from Saturday and assess where I think we are.  I’ve come to the conclusion that I just don’t understand why Saturday happened.  

im not going to sugar coat it.  That sucked.  The team and coaches sucked at absolutely everything.

But....I’ve spent some time contemplating the season.

OSU - playing against what might be the best team in the country.  Yes, the score ended up bad, but there were some positives.  Most fans thought they showed improvement on the line on both sides.  Oline got good push. D line did decent against a really good o line. 

Northwestern - Same thing.  Still playing against what seems to be the best team in the west.  Lost...and was disappointing and made some stupid mistakes.  But, saw some good things. 

PSU - struggling team but talented.  Pull out a win.  Defense holds up at the end. 

Illinois - Bad team and we totally fell apart. 

I just don’t get it.  These players and coaches are all very competitive guys.  I would think that win last week would have fired them up to go to practice and work their asses off. Instead????   Total dud.  

All I know right now is that I have no clue what to expect on Friday.  Maybe a Loss fires them up more than a win. 

Basketball starts tomorrow and they are going to shock the world. 

I think we all spend way too much time analyzing every scenario to what leads to us being a s#!tty team. When at the end of the day there is 1 common attribute to good teams that dont do any of the things we talk about. GOOD COACHING. Good head coaches with a good staff dont have these things happen. 

I know we all want to make excuses for Frost because I think we all "want" to believe Frost is the guy and will get us back. But perhaps he sucks just like every coach since Osborne/Solich. I can't say solich sucks- the guy did win a conference championship and play for a Natty. Plus won s#!t loads of games.

• Plus1 2

53 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I think we all spend way too much time analyzing every scenario to what leads to us being a s#!tty team. When at the end of the day there is 1 common attribute to good teams that dont do any of the things we talk about. GOOD COACHING. Good head coaches with a good staff dont have these things happen. 

It's a tough pill to swallow, but this is the /thread or 'mic drop' comment here, and it's one that I have found myself thinking about more and more over the last couple of seasons.

You look across the college football landscape at the objectively "great" head coaches... it's hard to find many that had this bad of a team in the power 5 in year three and then go on to have great careers. That doesn't mean I'm out on Frost, but I'm not confident in the long term prospects based on the type of errors and seasons we're experiencing. It's disappointing/baffling, particularly since he has virtually more support than ANY other person that would be in his shoes.

I think the '21 season is going to be a bit of a make or break year, assuming COVID is under control and we experience a normal season. Going below .500 and exhibiting the same struggles and inability to develop a quarterback is going to be tough.

10 minutes ago, Enhance said:

It's a tough pill to swallow, but this is the /thread or 'mic drop' comment here, and it's one that I have found myself thinking about more and more over the last couple of seasons.

You look across the college football landscape at the objectively "great" head coaches... it's hard to find many that had this bad of a team in the power 5 in year three and then go on to have great careers. That doesn't mean I'm out on Frost, but I'm not confident in the long term prospects based on the type of errors and seasons we're experiencing. It's disappointing/baffling, particularly since he has virtually more support than ANY other person that would be in his shoes.

I think the '21 season is going to be a bit of a make or break year, assuming COVID is under control and we experience a normal season. Going below .500 and exhibiting the same struggles and inability to develop a quarterback is going to be tough.

It is a tough pill to swallow because I want Frost to "be the guy" as well for the next 25 years like Osborne was. I am losing faith fast. You look back and fast turnarounds is not a new thing. Devaney took over a pathetic Nebraska team that won like 3 games a year and won 9 in year 1. So good coaches throughout history have had a quick impact on the program.

One thing I want to add. If Frost is playing some kind of long game to establish some culture or baseline for the program to set it up for long term success. Then fine, I could get on board with that. But why keep that a secret. Why come out running your mouth day 1 saying get us now, year 3 we are going to be dangerous. Just say it out loud- I know we suck but based on how s#!tty the roster was, needing to build depth, reorganize this etc etc. I have a 5 year plan then after that we should be winning 9 plus every year. I think everyone could get on board with that. BUT- I dont hear that. I hear- Gosh I didnt see this coming. Lots of talk about how we are about to turn a big corner. Best practices ever. BLA BLA BLA. He even admitted in year 3 the program is not where it should be. So he is not meeting his own expectations.

8 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

He even admitted in year 3 the program is not where it should be. So he is not meeting his own expectations.

I think that's the rub right now. I think we all anticipated a long rebuilding process (hence the seven year contract). Frost wanted some safety net in place. And make no mistake - we all probably agree that getting things turned around at Nebraska was not going to happen overnight. I just don't think we anticipated it to look like this, and quite frankly, I don't think there are many good reasons for it to look like this right now.

To your point, the historically "great" coaches usually got things kicked off fast. And that's what a lot of us hoped for and wanted. Dabo is a good example of someone who perhaps took a little bit longer, but even then, his early teams didn't look like this over a three year period.

The quarterbacks have at best plateaued, penalties are still a problem, fundamentals are still a problem. About the only two objectively good things I can say right now is that I think the raw talent is pretty good and that the team does look like it is faster/stronger than it has been, probably dating back to Bo's years. But, none of that is translating to consistency or wins.

2 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I just don't think we anticipated it to look like this, and quite frankly, I don't think there are many good reasons for it to look like this right now.

I think the raw talent is pretty good and that the team does look like it is faster/stronger than it has been, probably dating back to Bo's years. But, none of that is translating to consistency or wins.

To the first sentence. Totally agree. I didnt expect a conference championship or natty year 3. But I did expect us to look like a good football team that would not be an easy win for anyone. 

To the second sentence. I totally agree on that front as well. If I can point out anything good I see in the program it is that we do have some promising raw talent. We have added size and strength for sure on the lines. It is not where it needs to be but it has improved.Ty Robinson and Casey Rogers have been impressive.

6 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

It is a tough pill to swallow because I want Frost to "be the guy" as well for the next 25 years like Osborne was. I am losing faith fast. You look back and fast turnarounds is not a new thing. Devaney took over a pathetic Nebraska team that won like 3 games a year and won 9 in year 1. So good coaches throughout history have had a quick impact on the program.

One thing I want to add. If Frost is playing some kind of long game to establish some culture or baseline for the program to set it up for long term success. Then fine, I could get on board with that. But why keep that a secret. Why come out running your mouth day 1 saying get us now, year 3 we are going to be dangerous. Just say it out loud- I know we suck but based on how s#!tty the roster was, needing to build depth, reorganize this etc etc. I have a 5 year plan then after that we should be winning 9 plus every year. I think everyone could get on board with that. BUT- I dont hear that. I hear- Gosh I didnt see this coming. Lots of talk about how we are about to turn a big corner. Best practices ever. BLA BLA BLA. 

Frost has said some things I'm sure he regrets.  He came in with a lot of confidence....coach of the year, undefeated season, etc.

He has also said there is a formula they has worked at Nebraska for a long, long time.

That formula is strength & conditioning, nutrition, the walk on program, guys not playing until they are upperclassmen for both physical and mental readiness.

And we get mad when redshirt freshmen offensive linemen get beat on a play or commit a false start.

Frost wants to win now.  But a hallmark of an inexperienced team is putting up a fight against a top defensive team like Northwestern, finally winning a game, the laying an egg......

Frost has said we're behind where he wants us to be.  It'sbvious we're not dangerous in year 3.

Let Frost stick to the formula.

1 minute ago, TheSker said:

Frost has said some things I'm sure he regrets.  He came in with a lot of confidence....coach of the year, undefeated season, etc.

He has also said there is a formula they has worked at Nebraska for a long, long time.

That formula is strength & conditioning, nutrition, the walk on program, guys not playing until they are upperclassmen for both physical and mental readiness.

And we get mad when redshirt freshmen offensive linemen get beat on a play or commit a false start.

Frost wants to win now.  But a hallmark of an inexperienced team is putting up a fight against a top defensive team like Northwestern, finally winning a game, the laying an egg......

Frost has said we're behind where he wants us to be.  It'sbvious we're not dangerous in year 3.

Let Frost stick to the formula.

I get what your saying. The formula should get you back to a top 10 team- I could trust in that. BUT, we do have top 4 conference talent if you believe in the recruiting rankings. So even if we are building back to being a top 10 top 15 top 20 or top 25 program. We should at least be able to take care of the bottom half or bottom 1/3rd of our conference. I mean come on- there is no reason a bottom feeder Illinois should have 41 on us looking like a top 5 offense in the country. 

13 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I get what your saying. The formula should get you back to a top 10 team- I could trust in that. BUT, we do have top 4 conference talent if you believe in the recruiting rankings. So even if we are building back to being a top 10 top 15 top 20 or top 25 program. We should at least be able to take care of the bottom half or bottom 1/3rd of our conference. I mean come on- there is no reason a bottom feeder Illinois should have 41 on us looking like a top 5 offense in the country. 

No question.

And we shouldn't have put 500 yards on Northwestern.  And 1992 Iowa State shouldn't have beat us .  And......

We have top 4 talent in the conference 

Let Frost mature them physically and mentally.

Here's one thing I know about Frost.  He knows what a good culture looks like.  When he transferred to Nebraska as a player, he had to go up against literally one of the best defensive lines in Nebraska football history every day as scout team quarterback.

If there's a guy that understands the formula, it's Frost.

He's been humbled by the B1G.  Let him keep the formula going....it's relatively early in that process.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 4

What concerns me about the current team is not wins and losses, but the undisciplined play that continues to plague all three units (penalties / turnovers, etc.).  These are correctable issues and the fact that they remain speaks to a foundational problem that will not be resolved by simply rotating personnel, shaking up the coaching staff, or bringing in new recruits.

Combine the foundational problems with the initial hubris ("the Big Ten will need to adjust to us") or my favorite ("not even sure what those guys do" - when referring to special teams) and I am pessimistic about a turnaround any time soon.

• Plus1 1

What concerns me is the panic by us the fans..

I think all this negative talk is only destructive. Destructive to the team, the players, the staff and the fans..

I also know we won't receive any favored officiating, B1G reviews/pub or anything that we as fans can actually tangibly hold on to.

The conference continues to do everything they can to want us (the fans) and Nebraska (the University) to reach the breaking point and voluntarily leave. Anyone not seeing the biased officiating is in denial. The lack of any interest from the conference network as well as administration is openly obvious. Whether anyone wants to admit it, there is more weight on the shoulders of "any" husker coach (all sports). I'd go as far as saying, combined OG programs total is less than the huge and hefty amount on just the husker programs. Outside media is mentioning it, internal conference media is mentioning it, local media has mentioned it. The truth is, the conference has and will continue to push any button they can to force us out.. The staffs of every sports know this and the burdens are huge!!! Sure, it sounds like excuses but... there is truth in the B1G OG's biases against us. (That includes officiating, reviewing of calls, etc.. )

• Haha 1

If Saturday night had not happened too many times over the last how many years? How many coaches? I think we could shrug it off..  kinda.. like the Arizona State game .. ( disaster in the desert ) or the Colorado game in 2001.. 

BTW--> I still say we have never recovered from that game..we got destroyed.. could not tackle.. something was wayyy off in our brains and bodies that night.. and N has never been the same.. 

But that ILL game looked like the USC Callahan game.. Texas Tech Callahan game... Pelini's Wisconsins whippings.. McNeeese State almost losses at home... UCLA meltdown in the Rose Bowl...Riley getting whipped.. but then beating Oregon, Mich State? This team is so bi-polar.. and the HC and Staff does not seem to matter since what year? man.. I don't know... kids have no connection to the past N .... and facilities? everyone has them now.. 

3 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I know we all want to make excuses for Frost because I think we all "want" to believe Frost is the guy and will get us back. But perhaps he sucks just like every coach since Osborne/Solich. I can't say solich sucks- the guy did win a conference championship and play for a Natty. Plus won s#!t loads of games.

Meh...that's so often the cop out the fans go to when they don't know what's going on.  Frost might not be a National Championship or Conference championship coach.  But, these coaches are good enough to not have that happen unless something else is contributing to it.

AAHHHH.....WE'RE LOSING GAMES WE SHOULDN'T....FIRE THE COACH!!!!

Sorry, that isn't always the answer.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Loebarth said:

What concerns me is the panic by us the fans..

I think all this negative talk is only destructive. Destructive to the team, the players, the staff and the fans..

I also know we won't receive any favored officiating, B1G reviews/pub or anything that we as fans can actually tangibly hold on to.

The conference continues to do everything they can to want us (the fans) and Nebraska (the University) to reach the breaking point and voluntarily leave. Anyone not seeing the biased officiating is in denial. The lack of any interest from the conference network as well as administration is openly obvious. Whether anyone wants to admit it, there is more weight on the shoulders of "any" husker coach (all sports). I'd go as far as saying, combined OG programs total is less than the huge and hefty amount on just the husker programs. Outside media is mentioning it, internal conference media is mentioning it, local media has mentioned it. The truth is, the conference has and will continue to push any button they can to force us out.. The staffs of every sports know this and the burdens are huge!!! Sure, it sounds like excuses but... there is truth in the B1G OG's biases against us. (That includes officiating, reviewing of calls, etc.. )

I'm sorry but this is the biggest load of s#!t I've seen in a while. 

THE CONFERENCE DOES NOT HAVE IT IN FOR NEBRASKA.

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, GET THAT THROUGH YOUR SKULLS.

PUT AWAY THE TIN FOIL HATS, AND YOU WONDER WHY OPPOSING FAN BASES AND MEDIA MOCK NEBRASKA

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Meh...that's so often the cop out the fans go to when they don't know what's going on.  Frost might not be a National Championship or Conference championship coach.  But, these coaches are good enough to not have that happen unless something else is contributing to it.

AAHHHH.....WE'RE LOSING GAMES WE SHOULDN'T....FIRE THE COACH!!!!

Sorry, that isn't always the answer.

We are not just losing games we shouldn’t we pretty much lose them all. 2/3 of all games under Frost have been a loss. Our last 10 games have been ever worse 2-8. Or lost 80% of our games. So don’t act like people over reacting to a game or 2 of upsets 

We have gone through 3-4 coaching changes and we see the same crap.  There’s even an argument to say each change brought a new low. 

So.....it’s going to be really hard for me to get behind a coaching change again. 

We have brought in coaches that have been successful elsewhere.  Take Lubbick. He’s been very successful as an assistant coach.  Frost has been a very successful OC and has shown he can win games as a HC.  Most of the rest of the offensive staff was with him.  

We’ve recruited better (by rankings) than anyone else in the west. 

I dont buy that the S&C program is so bad. Our lines didn’t look that way in the first few games.  

I also dont buy that the spread can’t work in the B1G. Heck, teams are using it to beat us.  

so damn frustrating. 

A win this week would go a long ways to showing this game was an Very bad anomaly in the season and we can move on. Yes....I’m dreaming.