The mental part of football is what is holding Nebraska football back. It's not a talent issue.

uberism

4 hours ago, Enhance said:

I think that's the rub right now. I think we all anticipated a long rebuilding process (hence the seven year contract). Frost wanted some safety net in place. And make no mistake - we all probably agree that getting things turned around at Nebraska was not going to happen overnight. I just don't think we anticipated it to look like this, and quite frankly, I don't think there are many good reasons for it to look like this right now.

To your point, the historically "great" coaches usually got things kicked off fast. And that's what a lot of us hoped for and wanted. Dabo is a good example of someone who perhaps took a little bit longer, but even then, his early teams didn't look like this over a three year period.

The quarterbacks have at best plateaued, penalties are still a problem, fundamentals are still a problem. About the only two objectively good things I can say right now is that I think the raw talent is pretty good and that the team does look like it is faster/stronger than it has been, probably dating back to Bo's years. But, none of that is translating to consistency or wins.

Agree 100%. Look at Texas and all of the raw talent they have possessed vs their progression. . Coaching and culture is the big difference factor. Look at lowly Northwestern and what they have been able to accomplish. 2021 will tell us a lot.

The mentality Nebraska played with today was good. They played hard and had a chance to win the game in the end. There are two things in the way, from a mentality perspective, from winning consistently and that is how to bring it on a weekly basis (like today) and how to finish off games for wins. 

The record isn't going to show, but Nebraska football is making major strides this season in getting back to winning games. Once the issues that I have outlined in this thread are overcome the wins will be popping up regularly. 

This is a team that could easily have 3 wins on the season, not 1. 

• Haha 1
26 minutes ago, uberism said:

The mentality Nebraska played with today was good. They played hard and had a chance to win the game in the end. There are two things in the way, from a mentality perspective, from winning consistently and that is how to bring it on a weekly basis (like today) and how to finish off games for wins. 

The record isn't going to show, but Nebraska football is making major strides this season in getting back to winning games. Once the issues that I have outlined in this thread are overcome the wins will be popping up regularly. 

This is a team that could easily have 3 wins on the season, not 1. 

Haha the flip side is they could have zero wins.  If PSU's OC doesn't go full retard in the red zone, we're looking at a goose egg right now.