The mental part of football is what is holding Nebraska football back. It's not a talent issue.

uberism

On 11/22/2020 at 9:33 AM, uberism said:

Mentality is not about X's and O's. It's about how you are approaching things. The hardest rebuilding job in college football is taking over a program that has accepted a losing culture. In some cases it can take many coaching cycles to fix that issue. It hasn't been fixed at TN going on 20 years. Nebraska is trying to fix it too. Oklahoma once had the same issue. Alabama had some down time but not severe - they never became broken. 

You can coach up a player to perfection for how to block a certain play, how to run a certain route against a specific look, and all of the other stuff coaches do, in the end mentality can be a struggle for coaches AND players and right now it's a battle to get over that hurdle for the staff and players. 

They pushed hard to play football this year. That was a great sign of a changing culture. Then they went into the Ohio State game playing hard and pushed Ohio State for almost a full half. Then pushed for a non-conference game after the WI game got cancelled. All signs to that point were looking good. 

Then the Northwestern game came around and the offense came out strong, defense played good, got the lead. Then things started to hit a wall and it was regression from there. Then Luke came in and got a spark. Nebraska put up 420 yards against Northwestern, an entire football field plus more yards against Northwestern than any other team Northwestern has played this season. 

The team then came out and played hard against PSU and won. Offense struggled. 

So now you are 2 quarters against Ohio State, most of the game against Northwestern (redzone play that kept that a 14+ Nebraska win), struggles in the second half against PSu on offense, and then IL they looked lost, flat, didn't executive much of anything well. 

The trust of doing your own assignments and those around you to succeed are all about the development of the right mentality that wins games. It sounds easy on paper, but these are fully grown men that want to get paid to play the sport at the NFL level and when you don't do the right things mentally throughout the entire week of preparation you have already lost before kickoff. 

People will go and say so and so sucks, fire everyone, it's all 100% wrong. It's really about the players learning how to win back-to-back games, how to lead a program during the week of practices, and the coaches being able to read things and know what needs to be done to fix issues that come up. Like I said earlier, it sound easy, but it isn't. 

There is only one way you solve a losing culture - winning. Once Nebraska wins two games in a row the desire to win 3 in a row becomes stronger and it keeps growing. 

There will be a breakthrough period that will come, it's just a matter of when. 

And, yes, developing a deep passing game that is needed in the offense is part of the mental side of things - trusting the WR, WR trusting the QB, reading a defense correctly, adjustments on the fly, and so much more. 

There will come a day when Nebraska's offense is not just putting up 500 yards in a game and scoring 21 points, it will become 600 yards and 35 points

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, roadrat said:

Frost said big 10 teams would have to adapt to our style of offense. Well that took about 5 minutes. We have no fricking idea what we are trying to do. Might as well line up in the I formation and run the ball 45 times, throw a couple of passes to the tight end and call it a day cause this trying to be cute and make a big splash plays ain't working. 

Hey now, you cant just spout off random incorrect facts. The HUSKERBOARD Gods will come tell you how great of a running team we already are lol..

19 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

Nope, zero confidence.  If you were to take out the rushing stats tied to a QB scramble I'd be shocked if we're not dead last in all of FBS in rushing.... I assume Wan'dale is our leading rusher, ever tho he's a WR, and I've given up on the D Mills experience

I wouldn't come here if I was a running back nor would I advise my kids to come here as a running-back. 

Individual Rushing Statistics
# Player GP ATT Gain Loss Net AVG TD Long AVG/G
7 McCaffrey, Luke 4 56 382 64 318 5.7 3 47 79.50
2 Martinez, Adrian 3 28 214 19 195 7.0 1 39 65.00
1 Robinson, Wan'Dale 4 23 123 3 120 5.2 0 32 30.00
26 Mills, Dedrick 3 31 110 15 95 3.1 2 15 31.67
  Scott, Marvin 3 16 53 6 47 2.9 0 8 15.67
25 Thompkins, Ronald 2 5 24 0 24 4.8 0 9 12.00
14 Johnson, Rahmir 2 1 3 0

I recognize that the topic is the run game, but where is the logic in running a spread system if there is no threat of a long or intermediate passing game? Running the ball out of a spread system is predicated on the need for defenders to cover "space".  Without the threat of a passing game, the running game is limited as the numbers at the line of scrimmage favor the defense.

If we are unable to throw the ball, we need to consider adding more blockers at the point of attack to create favorable numbers.

This game is not very complicated.  Our friends at ESPN and Sport Science would try to convince you otherwise.

2 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I posted this in another thread. But it really belongs here. This just shows how f#&%ed up our mental side is right now with this team. This is just way too Mike Riley.

https://thespun.com/big-ten/nebraska-cornhuskers/nebraska-players-announce-special-plan-for-the-iowa-game?fbclid=IwAR19XtcF9quRNtOdu_lxRIWlCBas4P6z05x4floXvxrj1JZIx7cxjs_8kRc

My only problem with it is Warner should be smart enough to not mention it in a presser. He was asked about his mustache, it's not like this was unprompted "we're going to beat Iowa by growing mustaches!" - but it opens the door for morons like that guy to make an article out of it and get a bunch of angry Nebraska fan clicks. Team bonding is often weird, they just need to keep it within the team. If they didn't say anything, we had a good game against Iowa (big if but still), this would be lauded as a team coming together in any way they can. But the optics are pretty bad a couple days after a terrible loss.

5 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

My only problem with it is Warner should be smart enough to not mention it in a presser. He was asked about his mustache, it's not like this was unprompted "we're going to beat Iowa by growing mustaches!" - but it opens the door for morons like that guy to make an article out of it and get a bunch of angry Nebraska fan clicks. Team bonding is often weird, they just need to keep it within the team. If they didn't say anything, we had a good game against Iowa (big if but still), this would be lauded as a team coming together in any way they can. But the optics are pretty bad a couple days after a terrible loss.

I agree. It just seems like the kind of thing you would expect out of team winning and having a good time. Not a team that just got embarrassed.

But hey- maybe at the new nebraska losing is fun.

18 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I posted this in another thread. But it really belongs here. This just shows how f#&%ed up our mental side is right now with this team. This is just way too Mike Riley.

https://thespun.com/big-ten/nebraska-cornhuskers/nebraska-players-announce-special-plan-for-the-iowa-game?fbclid=IwAR19XtcF9quRNtOdu_lxRIWlCBas4P6z05x4floXvxrj1JZIx7cxjs_8kRc

I agree it's way too Mike Riley.  The culture needs to keep changing, and that takes some time.

It was really good to see Oliver Martin have a couple of catches, and we'll see others emerge.

Warner was voted a team captain, and things like that allow Frost to observe where the team leadership is.

Player leadership will continue to change.

6 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I agree it's way too Mike Riley.  The culture needs to keep changing, and that takes some time.

It was really good to see Oliver Martin have a couple of catches, and we'll see others emerge.

Warner was voted a team captain, and things like that allow Frost to observe where the team leadership is.

Player leadership will continue to change.

Honestly what we need is for our team captains to be our best players. They set the standard, they are the examples everyone will follow. When your best players are doing the right things and saying the right things people follow. No one really cares about the leadership of Warner. He is a semi talented walk on. That is not going to inspire people.

People followed Frazier because he was the leader and the best player on the team. 

1 minute ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Honestly what we need is for our team captains to be our best players. They set the standard, they are the examples everyone will follow. When your best players are doing the right things and saying the right things people follow. No one really cares about the leadership of Warner. He is a semi talented walk on. That is not going to inspire people.

People followed Frazier because he was the leader and the best player on the team. 

My point exactly.

The team voted the captains.  Frost observed.  Frost knows way more than we think about the current culture, but he's wise to just say things like "we need to play better".

Just now, Huskers93-97 said:

Frazier was not a captain - guys like Mark Gilman and Phil Ellis were. Along with guys like Aaron Graham, Christian Peter, etc - but it's not like we ever picked the 4-5 best players and they were the captains. We're missing consistent leadership beyond the captains, and I don't think that's solved by changing who the captains are. Scott Frost was also not a captain, unless the record books are wrong.

https://static.huskers.com/custompages/attachments1/files/100/611634.pdf?&db_oem_id=100

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Frazier was not a captain - guys like Mark Gilman and Phil Ellis were. Along with guys like Aaron Graham, Christian Peter, etc - but it's not like we ever picked the 4-5 best players and they were the captains. We're missing consistent leadership beyond the captains, and I don't think that's solved by changing who the captains are. Scott Frost was also not a captain, unless the record books are wrong.

https://static.huskers.com/custompages/attachments1/files/100/611634.pdf?&db_oem_id=100

Frost was not a captain.

Peter and Wistrom made Frost earn his stripes and respect when Frost had to play scout team.  Frost didn't back down 

9 minutes ago, TheSker said:

My point exactly.

The team voted the captains.  Frost observed.  Frost knows way more than we think about the current culture, but he's wise to just say things like "we need to play better".

In Year Three there is only one person responsible for the team culture.

Plenty of coaches turn the attitude and discipline around the minute they hit campus, because that's what they're hired to do. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, All Hail Herbie said:

If we are unable to throw the ball, we need to consider adding more blockers at the point of attack to create favorable numbers.

Where this gets tricky is that you're already running at a stacked box with no threat of the throw. So then constantly running out of double or even triple tight end sets means your ball carrier is just pounding into a huge mixing bowl of big, sweaty bodies.

Really serious there. We saw that same problem under Riley in 2017.

I think the reason we ran the ball so well in 2018 was because Adrian was actually a threat as a passer, so the field was a little bit looser between the hashes.