Brutal article from Hali Varsity

lo country

Article Hail Varsity rights a pretty honest article on the woes of this offense...Basically, we don't have one.......We've beat this horse, but a good take.

https://hailvarsity.com/football/scott-frosts-qbs-are-running-more-than-ever-the-why-is-problematic

Problems add up. NU’s offense has a way of compounding all its flaws until suffocation. 

A change at quarterback didn’t provide air. 

It brought exactly what Frost said it would: a spark, good for a brief run where McCaffrey was the unexpected wild card played at the right time. But sparks go out as quick as they spurt to life. 

No one respects Nebraska’s passing game. There are only five Power Five passing attacks who have produced less through the air than Nebraska’s on a per-game basis. 

• Fire 1

From the article, this is pretty frustrating.    We are back to Tommie Armstrong basically - every pass is an adventure and teams that line up to stop the QB run will be successful.   Why do we bother to recruit high quality RBs and WRs if we are reliant on the QB to do so much :dunno   I agree with the others who have said, we need a drop back QB who can pass & distribute ball to RBs and with some athletic ability to run if needed.  Is Smothers that guy?  What about the 2021 QB recruits?    We got to have an identity as a run first team and build around that to be successful in the Big 10 - the Big 10 isn't a pass happy conf like the Big 12 or AAC.  Therefore, we need the QB to be a passer, manager first and a runner last. 

It feels like not only are we wasting this 'free year' of eligibility but also the 3 years of development if we have to do a complete reset below Frost in his schemes for both D and O .   We can't forget about the defense in all of this hand wringing - DC Chin hasn't exactly performed that great either - a defensive stand and win over 0-5 PSU does not make  a D great. 

“I’m going to keep simplifying, if I have to, to make sure these young players can be in the right place and do the right thing,” Frost said. 

That’s about as troubling a statement as a coach in year three can make. And it doesn’t seem to be pointed at wideouts. It can’t be. Transfers are playing as soon as available. Freshmen are producing when given the opportunity. This continues to be about the quarterback spot.

Frost allowed Patrick O’Brien to leave when he arrived. O’Brien has three scores against one pick in three games for Colorado State this season, with 8.5 yards per throw and a 60.7% completion rate. He wasn’t a perfect fit for the system, but would he fit the talent Nebraska has now? Coaches have to be able to maximize what they have, not run them off when they don’t fit snugly into the puzzle. 

Frost tabbed Martinez over Tristan Gebbia in the quarterback battle of 2018, and Gebbia transferred to Oregon State, where he’s now the starter, completing 62% of his throws. 

Martinez is averaging 5.9 yards per throw with a 58.7% completion rate this year. McCaffrey is at 64.7% but has five interceptions against just one score in two starts. He’s throwing a pick every 14 passes. Compare that to UCF’s Milton in 2017, who threw one every 44 pass attempts, or Milton in 2016 when he threw one every 48 attempts.

Noah Vedral, brought over from Central Florida by Frost, transferred to Rutgers this offseason because he didn’t see an avenue toward playing time. He’s since averaged 6.4 yards a throw, a 64.2% clip, and has thrown eight scores. Vedral had the college football public captivated Saturday night while taking Michigan to double-overtime with big play after big play.

And Joe Burrow continues to lurk right around the corner in every Nebraska-related quarterback conversation. 

Did Frost end up with the two least productive passers? Both are incredibly dynamic runners and valuable leaders, but the tape is starting to say that’s not enough to overcome the flaws as passers.  

What are we to make of that? 

McCaffrey has a lot of time left to develop, but Nebraska’s situation doesn’t afford him any of it.

A stake-free season has quickly become a nightmare. Nebraska is running for its life and it doesn’t seem like that will change anytime soon.

• Plus1 2
17 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

From the article, this is pretty frustrating.    We are back to Tommie Armstrong basically - every pass is an adventure and teams that line up to stop the QB run will be successful.   Why do we bother to recruit high quality RBs and WRs if we are reliant on the QB to do so much :dunno   I agree with the others who have said, we need a drop back QB who can pass & distribute ball to RBs and with some athletic ability to run if needed.  Is Smothers that guy?  What about the 2021 QB recruits?    We got to have an identity as a run first team and build around that to be successful in the Big 10 - the Big 10 isn't a pass happy conf like the Big 12 or AAC.  Therefore, we need the QB to be a passer, manager first and a runner last. 

It feels like not only are we wasting this 'free year' of eligibility but also the 3 years of development if we have to do a complete reset below Frost in his schemes for both D and O .   We can't forget about the defense in all of this hand wringing - DC Chin hasn't exactly performed that great either - a defensive stand and win over 0-5 PSU does not make  a D great. 

I would contend that the B1G is more pass-happy than most would believe. Out of the 14 teams, at least 11 use variations of the spread, throwing the ball all over the place. If Nebraska went back to its I-Formation, Power Run/Option Roots, we would be quite unique in the B1G, and the nation - hard to prepare for.

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

At least with Tommy, he'd launch his YOLO bombs and try a make a huge play.  I never thought I'd say this, but after watching Luke, I'd kill for some YOLO bombs!  Chuck it up and see if Betts or one of NU's mountains of TEs can make a play.

Very true.  

• Plus1 1

The worst part is that the coaches actually believed our QB room was stocked with talent. So much so that our QB recruit this cycle, Heinrich Haarberg, is a much bigger QB project than anybody else on the roster. He will take years to develop (if he ever does).

There is no calvary coming to save this team. The problems are going to mount to end this season and will continue into 2021, where one of the most difficult schedules in the country will await.

Frost is probably going to get his last chance in 2022.

• Plus1 1
50 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Please; Tommy was hardly the clusterf#&% of a QB that we have at the moment. 

• Plus1 6
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

Please; Tommy was hardly the clusterf#&% of a QB that we have at the moment. 

Tommy was just like these guys.  @TGHuskeris dead on in my opinion. 

Defenses are doing the exact same thing to Adrian and Luke that they did to Tommy. Load up and make the QB beat us.  The only difference is Tommy would launch a prayer several times a game that Stanley or Westy would come down with.  I have no idea if we have any receiver talent because I don't even see us able to give them a shot (we can't get them the ball).

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Tommy was just like these guys.  @TGHuskeris dead on in my opinion. 

Defenses are doing the exact same thing to Adrian and Luke that they did to Tommy. Load up and make the QB beat us.  The only difference is Tommy would launch a prayer several times a game that Stanley or Westy would come down with.  I have no idea if we have any receiver talent because I don't even see us able to give them a shot (we can't get them the ball).

at least Tommy would take a shot here and there deep.  Has either QB's attempted a pass longer than 20yrds?  Even if we aren't completing them you at least have to take a shot now and again to keep the defense somewhat honest.  

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

at least Tommy would take a shot here and there deep.  Has either QB's attempted a pass longer than 20yrds?  Even if we aren't completing them you at least have to take a shot now and again to keep the defense somewhat honest.  

Yes, Martinez threw one to Wandale this past game. First time I recall us throwing more than 20 yards this season. Agreed with the last sentence, we have to throw deep every once in awhile. Either run a speed receiver on a GO route and try to outrun a player or get a taller option and make it a jump ball. Hard to get some of the 5-15 yard throws completed with the entire defense within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Yes, Martinez threw one to Wandale this past game. First time I recall us throwing more than 20 yards this season. Agreed with the last sentence, we have to throw deep every once in awhile. Either run a speed receiver on a GO route and try to outrun a player or get a taller option and make it a jump ball. Hard to get some of the 5-15 yard throws completed with the entire defense within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage.

If I'm the OC at this point I would just line up my 3 fastest rec to one side.  The two inside guys need to get upfield quickly to put pressure on the safeties.  Then you basically have a one on one on the outside and just need to throw it long enough for them to run under it.  no need for a jump ball.  if its thrown too long no harm no foul on to the next play.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Lol Armstrong was far and away a better passer then any of these 2.  It isn't even close

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, TGHusker said:

I dunno about you man but I'd give a thousand bucks to have TA back there at QB.  While definitely having his own deficiencies, the guy not only put up passing stats that are far superior to the crap on display this year but did so under multiple coaches, schemes, playbooks, etc.  While the inevitable hail mary pick was always fun, I'd rather put up with this and keep the defense honest as opposed to this bs 2-3 yards running the ball finesse crap on display today

Perhaps my memory is off but I dont remember teams deliberately stacking the box because it was a for sure qb run.  I would say he probably had superior talent at wide out across the board (alonzo moore, stanley, DPE, reilly) but I'm not convinced Luke/AM would put up similar #'s with WRs like this in todays offense.

14 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

If I'm the OC at this point I would just line up my 3 fastest rec to one side.  The two inside guys need to get upfield quickly to put pressure on the safeties.  Then you basically have a one on one on the outside and just need to throw it long enough for them to run under it.  no need for a jump ball.  if its thrown too long no harm no foul on to the next play.  

ahhh, I see a fellow graduate of the NFL Blitz-Da Bomb school of thought