Brutal article from Hali Varsity

lo country

8 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Tommy was just like these guys.  @TGHuskeris dead on in my opinion. 

Defenses are doing the exact same thing to Adrian and Luke that they did to Tommy. Load up and make the QB beat us.  The only difference is Tommy would launch a prayer several times a game that Stanley or Westy would come down with.  I have no idea if we have any receiver talent because I don't even see us able to give them a shot (we can't get them the ball).

You should go back and rewatch some of those games; Tommy's a much, much, much better QB than both Adrian and Luke are. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
56 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

You should go back and rewatch some of those games; Tommy's a much, much, much better QB than both Adrian and Luke are. 

It's never apples to apples.  Tommy had a competent line and running game,  plus lots of other upper classman/experienced help including at WR.  Which is the cause and which is the effect?

• Plus1 1
14 hours ago, lo country said:

Article Hail Varsity rights a pretty honest article on the woes of this offense...Basically, we don't have one.......We've beat this horse, but a good take.

https://hailvarsity.com/football/scott-frosts-qbs-are-running-more-than-ever-the-why-is-problematic

Problems add up. NU’s offense has a way of compounding all its flaws until suffocation. 

A change at quarterback didn’t provide air. 

It brought exactly what Frost said it would: a spark, good for a brief run where McCaffrey was the unexpected wild card played at the right time. But sparks go out as quick as they spurt to life. 

No one respects Nebraska’s passing game. There are only five Power Five passing attacks who have produced less through the air than Nebraska’s on a per-game basis. 

Color me impressed...our offense is actually better than five other power five teams! I guess we are not so bad then...remind me again, how many power five teams are out there?

I think we have some good up and coming w/r and r/b. There are some big boys headed to the o-line soon. I don't know what happened to 2AM since his freshmen year, but we need him to forget what's happened since, and let it fly. 

Frost has to check himself on his play calling in the red zone. Just start a power game in the red zone, or roll out the qb's, and let them make the play. Chin has to coach his D up. Don't know if he can. Would hate to see another BC and Cos thing again.

I was one of the fans on here to," let Luke start posts". It didn't work out, so lets regroup and start again. 

There is talent on this team and i"m glad they are getting the freshmen out there. They will only get better with playing time. 

We all want wins, so do I, but if we have to take some lumps now for next year, so be it.

GBR!!!

• Plus1 1

18 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Our RBs are avg like 3.6 YPC this year...not enough discussion on this. Add in that our best options for that and WR are Freshmen makes for a tough offense to run. O-line has been atrocious. Play calling and personnel just as bad. 

The only thing I can say I'd try to do differently play calling-wise would be to try to throw deeper downfield even if we thought we couldn't do that well. Just try it anyway.

But I'm pretty confident the reason our starting RBs have such pitiful YPC numbers (as well as low carry totals in games) is because defenses are playing so many guys close to the line of scrimmage.

So then we wind up in a lot of 3rd & longs - which our QBs aren't equipped to handle well in any way, shape, or form.

• Fire 1
18 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Our RBs are avg like 3.6 YPC this year...not enough discussion on this. Add in that our best options for that and WR are Freshmen makes for a tough offense to run. O-line has been atrocious. Play calling and personnel just as bad. 

3.6 x 3 = 10.8.  That's enough for a 1st down.  Get enough 1st downs and you will eventually end up in the endzone

• Fire 1

We have two redshirt freshman on the offensive line.....and the upperclassmen on the offensive line are not all conference caliber.

Why are we averaging so few YPC?  Why can't we throw the deep ball?

Landing Benhart was a big deal.  Landing Corcoran was a big deal.  But opposing defensive coordinators are licking their chops right now.

Our young players need game time experience.  That's why Frost wanted to play so badly this season.

3 minutes ago, Undone said:

The only thing I can say I'd try to do differently play calling-wise would be to try to throw deeper downfield even if we thought we couldn't do that well. Just try it anyway.

But I'm pretty confident the reason our starting RBs have such pitiful YPC numbers (as well as low carry totals in games) is because defenses are playing so many guys close to the line of scrimmage.

So then we wind up in a lot of 3rd & longs - which our QBs aren't equipped to handle well in any way, shape, or form.

The tricky part is if you believe Frost, they call a fair amount and the QBs just haven't been taking their shots. But that's still coachable IMO and should be emphasized - if you've got Betts one on one downfield, trust him and yourself and make the throw. If there's double coverage or whatever sure, go to your next read. But sounds like they're not pulling the trigger if there's a defender anywhere nearby.

1 minute ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

3.6 x 3 = 10.8.  That's enough for a 1st down.  Get enough 1st downs and you will eventually end up in the endzone

If averages meant that's the exact amount you got every time, sure. But a lot of the time you're getting less than that, and when were usually starting at our own 20ish the odds are pretty high that one of the 7-8 sets of downs you need to put together will not add up to 10 yards, or even 7 yards. You need closer to 5 YPC to consistently drive the length of the field.

6 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

The tricky part is if you believe Frost, they call a fair amount and the QBs just haven't been taking their shots. But that's still coachable IMO and should be emphasized - if you've got Betts one on one downfield, trust him and yourself and make the throw. If there's double coverage or whatever sure, go to your next read. But sounds like they're not pulling the trigger if there's a defender anywhere nearby.

I'm in agreement with you that this theory is probably the correct one. And if it is, then there's an even larger disconnect for several people here saying that play calling is ultimately the culprit.

Because, like...what could we even do differently then? The answer surely can't be "hand the ball off on more vanilla running plays to Marvin Scott," can it? Because the stats don't support that argument.

1 hour ago, Undone said:

I'm in agreement with you that this theory is probably the correct one. And if it is, then there's an even larger disconnect for several people here saying that play calling is ultimately the culprit.

Because, like...what could we even do differently then? The answer surely can't be "hand the ball off on more vanilla running plays to Marvin Scott," can it? Because the stats don't support that argument.

This is why I kind of don't like the whole tempo thing and no huddle.  I don't know about Frost but when I was coaching I would call plays to set up other plays.  I would have to tell my QB on certain pass plays to look for his 3rd read instead of his normal 1st because I knew what how the defense was reacting.  I understand this is college and the QB should know who should be open but when you have a bunch of big D linemen coming at you its easy to forget stuff.  Call Luke over to the sideline and say hey Betts (or whoever) should be open on this one look to him 1st.  

14 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Tommy played with Westerkamp, DPE, Brandon Reilly, Cethan Carter, Alonzo Moore, and Stanley Morgan in a Mike Riley offense that is designed to give QBs tons of easy layups and inflate passing stats against a much-worse Big Ten West ... and he never completed over 55 percent of his passes or had a passer rating over 133.

Adrian's true freshman season was significantly better than Armstrong's best season. You guys are just doing revisionist history because you're being overdramatic and want to pretend like things are worse than they've ever been.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 3
27 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

Tommy played with Westerkamp, DPE, Brandon Reilly, Cethan Carter, Alonzo Moore, and Stanley Morgan in a Mike Riley offense that is designed to give QBs tons of easy layups and inflate passing stats against a much-worse Big Ten West ... and he never completed over 55 percent of his passes or had a passer rating over 133.

Adrian's true freshman season was significantly better than Armstrong's best season. You guys are just doing revisionist history because you're being overdramatic and want to pretend like things are worse than they've ever been.

Armstrong also had to play in two different offensive systems and played to his strengths. He was not the pocket passer Riley wanted and struggled at times as he wasn't recruited for that style of offense. And yet he was still able to lead us to wins. 

As for the easy layups and inflated passing stats, Frost has called for dozens more screen passes and short passes within five yards of the line of scrimmage so I wouldn't get too focused on the stats alone. Adrian did have a good finish to his freshman year, played through injuries all last season and is not as bad of a quarterback as the record indicates. That being said, he needs his coaches to take some heat off of him and start utilizing the runningback room the way they were intended. We have no business in having our QBs and hybrid wide receiver taking 2/3 of our total rushing attempts on the season. 

All the talk and hype about Husker Power and the guys killing it in the weight room is dandy but we need to get to bulldozing to give the hype and talk any substance. 

12 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Armstrong also had to play in two different offensive systems and played to his strengths. He was not the pocket passer Riley wanted and struggled at times as he wasn't recruited for that style of offense. And yet he was still able to lead us to wins. 

As for the easy layups and inflated passing stats, Frost has called for dozens more screen passes and short passes within five yards of the line of scrimmage so I wouldn't get too focused on the stats alone. Adrian did have a good finish to his freshman year, played through injuries all last season and is not as bad of a quarterback as the record indicates. That being said, he needs his coaches to take some heat off of him and start utilizing the runningback room the way they were intended. We have no business in having our QBs and hybrid wide receiver taking 2/3 of our total rushing attempts on the season. 

All the talk and hype about Husker Power and the guys killing it in the weight room is dandy but we need to get to bulldozing to give the hype and talk any substance. 

Considering we dont throw a pass longer than 5 yards we should have about 85% completion.

• Plus1 1