Brutal article from Hali Varsity

lo country

34 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Tommy was just like these guys.  @TGHuskeris dead on in my opinion. 

Defenses are doing the exact same thing to Adrian and Luke that they did to Tommy. Load up and make the QB beat us.  The only difference is Tommy would launch a prayer several times a game that Stanley or Westy would come down with.  I have no idea if we have any receiver talent because I don't even see us able to give them a shot (we can't get them the ball).

I mean the stats and eye test would completely disagree with you lol.  Coupled with the fact that quite a few WRs from the end of Bo/Riley made it to the nfl says to me the passing attack from 5+ years ago was significantly more effective than the crap on display today

285581484_ScreenShot2020-11-23at12_04_27PM.png.b4ec0667226b5ce9cdf2665de8f55183.png

848533046_ScreenShot2020-11-23at12_04_57PM.png.3cb9aa315c211e080150ad23ac152311.png

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

Lol Armstrong was far and away a better passer then any of these 2.  It isn't even close

Again, as I said before - I'm not comparing specific QB skills, what I'm saying is that Tommie was known as a running QB.  If Ds stopped the run, they stopped Nebraska.  Tommie, while having better stats (I haven't ck but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt) was no elite passer.  Often his passes were an adventure and it was because we had some pretty good WRs, he got bailed out a bunch.  We had down field threats - so far we haven't seen the down field threats develop with this team and that too perhaps is adding to the inadequacy of QB play. 

21 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

If I'm the OC at this point I would just line up my 3 fastest rec to one side.  The two inside guys need to get upfield quickly to put pressure on the safeties.  Then you basically have a one on one on the outside and just need to throw it long enough for them to run under it.  no need for a jump ball.  if its thrown too long no harm no foul on to the next play.  

That's fair, I thought Allen or Rafdal in a jump ball situation wouldn't be the worst thing for us to try. Those dudes are hard to get higher than

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Care to explain?

I can tell you what I see on TA.  16 picks and a 55% completion ratio.  That's pretty freaking bad.

The only difference in his game is he would launch the ball.  Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't.

U kidding me?  We just gonna ignore the vast difference in passing yards per game and the fact that a 22 TD/16 INT ratio is significantly better than our world beating 2 TDs and 6 INTS? 

TA wasnt an all pro QB by any means, but you're delusional if you think the stat lines this year is comparable to anything armstrong put up

• Plus1 3

15 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Again, as I said before - I'm not comparing specific QB skills, what I'm saying is that Tommie was known as a running QB.  If Ds stopped the run, they stopped Nebraska.  Tommie, while having better stats (I haven't ck but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt) was no elite passer.  Often his passes were an adventure and it was because we had some pretty good WRs, he got bailed out a bunch.  We had down field threats - so far we haven't seen the down field threats develop with this team and that too perhaps is adding to the inadequacy of QB play. 

While some of this true, I feel like this is also a gross exaggeration.  What's true is if you stopped the run you typically stopped nebraska.

What's happening today is you stop the run there is nothing else to worry about because we dont have anything else to bring to the table.

This is some real fantastic company we're in.... Perhaps I hit my head and lost my memory but I never recall us being this low on the totem pole passing wise:

917695128_ScreenShot2020-11-23at12_22_05PM.thumb.png.b771cb6c56341bf2b3dcb0c1f737fa90.png

9 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

U kidding me?  We just gonna ignore the vast difference in passing yards per game and the fact that a 22 TD/16 INT ratio is significantly better than our world beating 2 TDs and 6 INTS? 

TA wasnt an all pro QB by any means, but you're delusional if you think the stat lines this year is comparable to anything armstrong put up

Still not sure why you picked one year.  That was his story the his entire career.

TA.gif.aa766d92ff3e86a81ae934d07047ac61.gif

Would I put TA at QB right now?, sure, but I would have taken any of the other 3 QBs listed in the Hail Varsity article.  I don't know, maybe?  The holes in his game were nearly identical to those of LM and AM.  He had an out that allowed to throw a bomb with reasonable accuracy.  Enough accuracy that talented WRs could make a play.

This offense is limited for the same reason it was with Tommy.  It doesn't have a QB that can consistently convert.  It doesn't win with execution, it wins on gimmicks, low percentage plays, penalties and failures by their opponents.

4 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

While some of this true, I feel like this is also a gross exaggeration.  What's true is if you stopped the run you typically stopped nebraska.

What's happening today is you stop the run there is nothing else to worry about because we dont have anything else to bring to the table.

This is some real fantastic company we're in.... Perhaps I hit my head and lost my memory but I never recall us being this low on the totem pole passing wise:

917695128_ScreenShot2020-11-23at12_22_05PM.thumb.png.b771cb6c56341bf2b3dcb0c1f737fa90.png

I hear you.  That passing chart is pretty pathetic. 

6 minutes ago, lowkeyhusker said:

who was our last good passing qb? Tanner Lee, Joe Ganz, Sam Keller, Zac Taylor... or Harrison Beck lol

Ganz  - if we had the Ganz offense and the SUH Defense the next year - we would have been national champs I believe. The timing was just off.  Bo may have still been our coach wt a NC.

7 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Still not sure why you picked one year.  That was his story the his entire career.

Would I put TA at QB right now?, sure, but I would have taken any of the other 3 QBs listed in the Hail Varsity article.  I don't know, maybe?  The holes in his game were nearly identical to those of LM and AM.  He had an out that allowed to throw a bomb with reasonable accuracy.  Enough accuracy that talented WRs could make a play.

This offense is limited for the same reason it was with Tommy.  It doesn't have a QB that can consistently convert.  It doesn't win with execution, it wins on gimmicks, low percentage plays, penalties and failures by their opponents.

I wouldn't get too wrapped up in the numbers or comparing too much on this one. You have to remember that TA had a coaching change mid-career and still was able to perform fairly well all things considered. The stats that matter (wins, touchdowns) still are better than what we currently have produced. 

1 minute ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

I wouldn't get too wrapped up in the numbers or comparing too much on this one. You have to remember that TA had a coaching change mid-career and still was able to perform fairly well all things considered. The stats that matter (wins, touchdowns) still are better than what we currently have produced. 

I guess I'm just struggling why people are hesitant to admit how bad a TA led offense was.  He was bailed out by his supporting cast.  I can only imagine how good they would have been with a QB that could convert consistently.  

Would I take him over the two we have?....sure. But give me Ameer, Ozigbo, Newby, Jano, Westy, Morgan and Reilly, DPE while we are at it.

13 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I picked that year because it was hit worst full season so I used that for comps.  Left out 2016 due to injuries and his freshman year was a hodge podge of games strung together.  

Holes in the game are slightly similar conceptually, but  I would say what's lacking for LM and AM collectively is way more significant than TAs shortcomings.  Frankly I don't care about the completion % as much he was throwing it more and at the very least the threat existed for the passing game.  We're not even seeing the attempts this year to go along with crappy stats.  

In LM and AM's defense, this is bigger than QB play, this goes to Frost, Lubick and the associated coaches.  

3 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I guess I'm just struggling why people are hesitant to admit how bad a TA led offense was.  He was bailed out by his supporting cast.  I can only imagine how good they would have been with a QB that could convert consistently.  

Would I take him over the two we have?....sure. But give me Ameer, Ozigbo, Newby, Jano, Westy, Morgan and Reilly, DPE while we are at it.

I'm not hesitant to admit how bad that offense was.  The one constant around these neck of the woods, outside of just general ineptitude, is our consistent hatred towards whoever is leading our offense.  Remember when Tim Beck was nothing more than a high school caliber coach? Hell, I'd take Timmy B back in a heartbeat compared to whatever it is you call today's offense 

Just because I think TA was a much superior QB compared to this season's options, doesn't mean I think TA was all conf or a great qb.  

I think we have great talent at the wideout position to work with now... Young, definitely.  But the potential is there, the problem is we will never know when we run it 90% of the freaking time and the only other passing plays are to the first option or a scramble/desperate pass.  

1 minute ago, gobiggergoredder said:

How much of that goes back to coaching and the Riley/Langsdorf experiment? TA was a winner and the team was actually poised to do quite well going into the 2015 season before Harvey & Eichorst fired Pelini and went with Riley. Riley & Langsdorf failed to utilize the talent they had as the best players in their time or after were all Pelini recruits. Ozigbo was 3rd/4th on the depth chart for a lot of his career until injuries & Tre Bryant's retirement gave him an opportunity. 

No, TA was not the best QB in our history but for the changes his class endured, I think he handled it pretty well. 

• Plus1 1