Iowa Week Pressers

Mavric

1 minute ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

Why the hell haven't the receivers been going 100% in practice?! And why haven't the coaches been on their a$$es about it and fixed this sooner?! We're a dumba$$ football team that's for sure! :bang:facepalm:

Mustaches......gimme a break! :lame

It sounds like the receivers not going 100% was a one-week thing, and the coaches were probably on their a$$.  Hopefully this showed those WR's that they can't half-a$$ it during practice and expect to play well in the game.

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, Fru said:

Somehow they found the worst possible way to “respond” to the Illinois game.

Imagine Iowa was 1-3, and was on a 5 game losing skid to NU, and they said “We’re growing mustaches.” 

I don’t think I could be more ashamed of these guys. 

Why blame the players? They really are just kids in the prime of their lives. I hope not one of them thinks we’re disappointed in them. I appreciate anyone wanted to come into this hornet’s nest 

22 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

Why the hell haven't the receivers been going 100% in practice?! And why haven't the coaches been on their a$$es about it and fixed this sooner?! We're a dumba$$ football team that's for sure! :bang:facepalm:

Mustaches......gimme a break! :lame

It makes sense.  I doubt it's just the receivers.  They looked Riley soft on Saturday.

Someone has to want to play.  Next man up.  

What's happened to Garrett Nelson?  He was a savage last year and we constantly heard about his motor and effort.  You don't even hear his name.  I'm not trying to single him out.  More trying to understand if something else is going on in the program.

• Plus1 1
38 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It sounds like the receivers not going 100% was a one-week thing, and the coaches were probably on their a$$.  Hopefully this showed those WR's that they can't half-a$$ it during practice and expect to play well in the game.

On field results would indicate the WRs have been half-assing it every week, for a long time. And I don’t believe the coaches expect much more as it only takes about one bad series to move Wandale to RB and basically concede any throwing game. Problems are much worse and deeper than one bad week of practice.

• Plus1 1
32 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Why blame the players? They really are just kids in the prime of their lives. I hope not one of them thinks we’re disappointed in them. I appreciate anyone wanted to come into this hornet’s nest 

Well sure, there is plenty of blame to be had by the coaches too but we can all be pretty darned sure the coaches aren’t encouraging the kind of play and effort these players have been consistently exhibiting. So yeah, the players can shoulder the blame. The coaches don’t block, tackle, run routes or throw s#!tty passes....

• Plus1 3

12 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Well sure, there is plenty of blame to be had by the coaches too but we can all be pretty darned sure the coaches aren’t encouraging the kind of play and effort these players have been consistently exhibiting. So yeah, the players can shoulder the blame. The coaches don’t block, tackle, run routes or throw s#!tty passes....

Perhaps why the young scholarship receivers are having a hard time getting on the field.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

On field results would indicate the WRs have been half-assing it every week, for a long time. And I don’t believe the coaches expect much more as it only takes about one bad series to move Wandale to RB and basically concede any throwing game. Problems are much worse and deeper than one bad week of practice.

I'm not sure I buy the receivers not going hard quote. Feels like a quote to take heat off QBs and coaches. Receivers have been making some good blocks and were open fairly often during the course of the game. Luke being able to get them the ball was a different story however. His miss of Wandale being wide open 15-20 yards down the sideline was especially frustrating as he even had set his feet and was not touched in throwing the ball. Just missed him by a good 10 yards. 

Agreed that the coaches are too quick to go back to using Wandale and Luke exclusively. This last game it was obvious that Luke didn't trust his arm/eyes and would scramble at first blink. Martinez seems to be able to find different receivers in his one drive and actually looked pretty composed. Really hoping they start Martinez and use Luke like we did against Ohio State in various situations but not taking the bulk of the snaps at QB. 

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

The mustaches don't bother me. Lots of guys do facial hair/haircuts as a bonding thing, it's not like they're taking time off of practice to groom them. Is it in my opinion a dumb way to come together as group? Sure. But what are the supposed to do, shave their heads and put on sackcloth and ashes? Give them a break, it takes no time or effort away from their football activities and I am all for anything teammates can bond over.

Maybe they could bond over beating Iowa for once, that’d be neat. 

• Plus1 7