Iowa Week Pressers

Mavric

2 hours ago, TheSker said:

I think what you are referring to with JP as an example is how this ultimately gets fixed. 

Are our current captains those type?  Methinks not ....

I think Frost knows this.....but he can't really force that hand as coach.

You are correct with the JP reference.  His book was eye opening to how the team "ran" the program while he and others were there....As you mentioned previously, guys were much more afraid of the locker room correcting problems than the staff.  Unsure how many fans new about or got his book.

https://www.amazon.com/Hero-Underground-Memoir-Jason-Peter/dp/0312561032

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Really?  Two WRs in the same spot on the field isn't an indication of a major screwup by one of them?  I guess it could be a new fangled passing scheme where it confuses the defense as to why they would want to be next to each other.

How about a WR running into the QB and RB at a mesh point on a hand off?

Several times this season.....No RB has gotten into any rhythm...If "X" back is healthy feed him the ball for an entire quarter.  Win, lose or draw.   As mentioned earlier when Wan'dale and the QB are getting 2/3 of the carries that's a problem.  

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, LumberJackSker said:

So what exactly does kade warner do? He doesn't produce on the field and as a team captain watched the receivers half a$$ it in practice all week and didn't doing anything about it. Unbelievable.

That's what scares me....Someone mentioned earlier that the "no fear of failure" mantra appears to have morphed into the "no fear of consequences".....For a Captain to see and not say anything and for the receiver coach to not notice is a HUGE red flag IMHO....

• Fire 1

Just now, TheSker said:

What's he going to do about it?

Getting in a dudes face for starters?  Setting the example by going 110%, 100% of the time.  His dad is a SB Champion, Pro Bowl guy, surely he has some great advise....On the flip side, hard to get into a dudes grill when you dropped 2 TD's....I truly thought most captains would be masters at their craft. This year, not so much.  

1 minute ago, lo country said:

Getting in a dudes face for starters?  Setting the example by going 110%, 100% of the time.  His dad is a SB Champion, Pro Bowl guy, surely he has some great advise....On the flip side, hard to get into a dudes grill when you dropped 2 TD's....I truly thought most captains would be masters at their craft. This year, not so much.  

That's my point 

Warner doesn't have the cred to get in anyone's face.

• Plus1 4
4 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

There is plenty of under performance to go around, that’s for sure. Open receivers are being missed or not seen, other times WRs are not getting open and I haven’t been impressed with play calling or offensive decisions either. So much is not working it makes it difficult to know where to start. But it is apparent that nobody has to respect our passing game and we have absolutely no threat beyond ten yards from the LOS. I’ll start with blaming the coaches because they’re ultimately responsible for such an anemic throwing game but there’s plenty to go around for both QBs and WRs too.

And while I’m in a mood, have we ever once gained any yards on those quick outs or bubble screens? We complete a lot of them but the WR gets buried by 4 guys in a nano second. I want to blame perimeter blocking but it’s always just so ridiculously useless I want to blame the coaches for ever calling it. But they just keep doing it. It’s like they have a quota of plays to waste a down. I don’t get it.

I think we average .6 a play for all those damn passes and screens in the flat.  Half the time it seems like the opposing defense knows where the receiver should be better than the QB/WR

Its kind of shocking that Lubick is not getting more heat, isnt he both the O Coordinator and WR coach or am I off here?  I really had high hopes for the guy as he was in the fold with those solid washington squads and obviously worked with Frosty at oregon.  Obviously he's gonna get more time to prove results but I was really expecting noticeable progress and I feel like we've gone backwards

45 minutes ago, lo country said:

You are correct with the JP reference.  His book was eye opening to how the team "ran" the program while he and others were there....As you mentioned previously, guys were much more afraid of the locker room correcting problems than the staff.  Unsure how many fans new about or got his book.

https://www.amazon.com/Hero-Underground-Memoir-Jason-Peter/dp/0312561032

In 1997, the team captains were Vershan Jackson, Jason Peter, Grant Wistrom and Aaron Taylor.

3 of the 4 were first team All Americans.

So while many say culture can't still be an excuse, it actually kinda is 

Frost has absolutely made some mistakes, but I'm going to give him some leeway that his hands are a little tied with upperclassmen leadership .

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

As a fan, you fix it by having patience.  Honestly, I know that's tough.  I was frustrated and pissed off on Saturday.  But, Frost has the right attitude as a coach. He's shown he's willing to make assistant changes and even change his starting QB.  He's willing to do what it takes to turn this around.  The best thing we can do as fans is at least show that we support the efforts.

One thing that changing coaches every 3-4 years does is it instills in the players that..."see, we weren't the problem".  That has been bred into this program for the last 20 years.  It has to stop somewhere and now is when it needs to stop.  

Yeah, it'll stop now.

Frost isn't going anywhere.  His real foundation now is redshirt freshmen.

1 hour ago, lo country said:

That's what scares me....Someone mentioned earlier that the "no fear of failure" mantra appears to have morphed into the "no fear of consequences".....For a Captain to see and not say anything and for the receiver coach to not notice is a HUGE red flag IMHO....

Yet frost is surprised over and over again every time they lay a turd on the field. Might have to do with your players not trying in practice. Frost sounds as soft as Riley.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1