Iowa Week Pressers

Mavric

7 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

FYI, Iowa's best game in YPC the last two seasons has come against Nebraska. Yes, in 2018 they jammed it down our throats better than they did against Northern Iowa and Northern Illinois. Yes, in 2019 they jammed it down our throats better than they did against Middle Tennessee and Miami Ohio. Just f#&%ing leave Chin in Iowa City if they do it again. 

• Plus1 1
28 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

FYI, Iowa's best game in YPC the last two seasons has come against Nebraska. Yes, in 2018 they jammed it down our throats better than they did against Northern Iowa and Northern Illinois. Yes, in 2019 they jammed it down our throats better than they did against Middle Tennessee and Miami Ohio. Just f#&%ing leave Chin in Iowa City if they do it again. 

Stop being critical of poor chin its not fair. You just watched by year 8 or 9 he will definitely have it figured out.

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I'm hoping we come out in a 5 man front.  Let the DB's go man.  Force them to pass.  Put 11 guys in the box.  You know adjust to take away their strengths....Won't happen, but a guy can dream....

I'd love to see also see us come out in 2 back sets the entire game.  We have no passing threat so make this a clock control smash mouth physical game.  See who breaks first.  Tell the staff on both sides this game is an audition for next season. Pass or fail.

• Plus1 1

9 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Eh, people are going to find reasons to be mad at Chins no matter what. Take out a single missed gap and a reverse where the backside bit way too hard, and the YPC drops to 4.3. Not great, but not what I'd call "jamming it down our throats."

We also just don't have the guys to be a legitimate shut down defense, so they pick what we're trying to take away. Last year Iowa went 11/25 passing for 99 yards and a pick. I don't really care if they run for 200, we shut down their passing game (which was statistically better than their running game) and forced a fumble to give our offense the ball around midfield, ~2 minutes left in a tie game. The defense did everything it needed to do win that game, special teams and the offense squandered it. At some point those big plays do need to stop, and if anything gets Chins fired it will be that.

But do you want to try and build a consistent run defense with the guys we had last year responsible for gap integrity? Right now it's a lot like the Penn State game - take out a couple big plays and it looks solid. If I'm still saying "take out these 2-4 plays" next year, I'll be off the Chins wagon. And I'm sure it's the kool-aid talking, but I'm just saying I do see progress and can squint and see a time where our LBs and Safeties actually have recovery speed, and the occasional missed fits don't lead to 40+ yard plays.

• Plus1 2
34 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Eh, people are going to find reasons to be mad at Chins no matter what. Take out a single missed gap and a reverse where the backside bit way too hard, and the YPC drops to 4.3. Not great, but not what I'd call "jamming it down our throats."

We also just don't have the guys to be a legitimate shut down defense, so they pick what we're trying to take away. Last year Iowa went 11/25 passing for 99 yards and a pick. I don't really care if they run for 200, we shut down their passing game (which was statistically better than their running game) and forced a fumble to give our offense the ball around midfield, ~2 minutes left in a tie game. The defense did everything it needed to do win that game, special teams and the offense squandered it. At some point those big plays do need to stop, and if anything gets Chins fired it will be that.

But do you want to try and build a consistent run defense with the guys we had last year responsible for gap integrity? Right now it's a lot like the Penn State game - take out a couple big plays and it looks solid. If I'm still saying "take out these 2-4 plays" next year, I'll be off the Chins wagon. And I'm sure it's the kool-aid talking, but I'm just saying I do see progress and can squint and see a time where our LBs and Safeties actually have recovery speed, and the occasional missed fits don't lead to 40+ yard plays.

I think a lot more people could see this perspective if they removed emotions.  There has been improvement, specifically at the LB position and overall recovery speed.  #98 and #99 on the line also look like improvements over what we have seen in recent years.  

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

We also just don't have the guys to be a legitimate shut down defense, so they pick what we're trying to take away. Last year Iowa went 11/25 passing for 99 yards and a pick.

Yep. The stats were pathetic by both teams:

image.png.5074af4eea10738c14b4e1556ecea778.png

When we look at the box score, it's pretty much impossible to perform revisionist history on that game; our offense sucked out loud. 284* yards of total offense? Terrible.

They also had a kick return for a touchdown. Special teams was our worst unit on the team last year (by far).

*Edit to yards total

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, Undone said:

When we look at the box score, it's pretty much impossible to perform revisionist history on that game; our offense sucked out loud. 156 yards of total offense? Terrible.

They also had a kick return for a touchdown. Special teams was our worst unit on the team last year (by far).

We had 284 yards of offense.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

I think a lot more people could see this perspective if they removed emotions.  There has been improvement, specifically at the LB position and overall recovery speed.  #98 and #99 on the line also look like improvements over what we have seen in recent years.  

I think there is player improvement (talent)...but scheme wise it's the same old s#!t, it's like we are hoping the opposing offense will call the one right play that plays into our scheme...they instead laugh and just do what they want while our coaches stand there "hoping" to be right on the next play

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, Undone said:

When we look at the box score, it's pretty much impossible to perform revisionist history on that game; our offense sucked out loud. 156 yards of total offense? Terrible.

I hadn't even dug back into it much, I'd definitely suppressed some of this. Did not remember Vedral playing, very much remembered the KO return and long TDs. I think our defense is better, but Goodson is a stud and has improved. I think our offense is worse, and their defense has actually improved.

So I could see us getting trampled, but I could also see a game very much like the last two years, down to the wire. And I still don't trust our offense or defense to come through in the clutch, unfortunately. Or the least likely scenario - the offense clicks, the defense slows the run game and Petras makes bad decisions and we win by 10-14. I am not banking on that, particularly down Miller at ILB. I do not know the scheme and recognize that many times the player we think at fault is actually trying to cover somebody else's mistake, but to me the first half of Illinois showed why Reimer is not yet a blackshirt. If it's just Reimer and Honas needing to be in the right place on every outside zone, we could be in trouble. Actually like what I've seen from Snodgrass and think Chins mentioned Henrich could slide back to the middle. But the LB fits are just as important as the DLine strength against Iowa, and I'm only convinced we have the latter.

I honestly think Martinez has the better chance of winning the game. Just cook up a game plan of trying to throw the ball downfield to the tight ends.

But, I know none of that will happen. The game will probably boil down to whether or not Luke can scramble for 175+ yards and our defense somehow forcing turnovers. 

• Plus1 2

If Martinez + Mills are not the starters we are gonna get a$$ clapped. Luke at RB/gadget plays. We’ll probably still lose but at least it’ll be somewhat respectable. I foresee a few broken runs & a long bomb pass or two from Iowa to Chinander. 

/sidenote that it’s insane to me how out of our last three coordinators that Banker is probably the best one 

• Plus1 2