Iowa Week Pressers

Mavric

23 minutes ago, Decked said:

/sidenote that it’s insane to me how out of our last three coordinators that Banker is probably the best one 

We were top 30ish in defense the year he got fired, in retrospect I think the Iowa game was weighed against him way too heavily. Especially considering the stories around the strength program and practice structure, he did an incredible job. But statistically, he was clearly better than Diaco and at least do far, Chinander. And actually 2016 was better than any of Bo's post-2010 defenses. That was a weird year though, felt like everyone other than OSU was down and we stumbled to a good record.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, Hilltop said:

I think a lot more people could see this perspective if they removed emotions.  There has been improvement, specifically at the LB position and overall recovery speed.  #98 and #99 on the line also look like improvements over what we have seen in recent years.  

I'll remove emotion and look at stats compared to last year. We're allowing more points per game. We're allowing more total yards per game. We're allowing more passing yards per game. We're allowing more rush yards per game. We're allowing a higher conversion rate on third downs. We're allowing a higher conversion rate on 4th downs. 

• Plus1 2

29 minutes ago, Mavric said:

No

Is he not?

34 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

We were top 30ish in defense the year he got fired, in retrospect I think the Iowa game was weighed against him way too heavily. Especially considering the stories around the strength program and practice structure, he did an incredible job. But statistically, he was clearly better than Diaco and at least do far, Chinander. And actually 2016 was better than any of Bo's post-2010 defenses. That was a weird year though, felt like everyone other than OSU was down and we stumbled to a good record.

I don’t disagree at all. But banker got absolutely s#!t on while here. But if he was here Nebraska would’ve won a few more games during Scott’s tenure. 

• Plus1 1

From the point that Diaco left the run defense after the 2017 season (which is to say totally in shambles), Chinander has done a good job of steadily improving in that phase of the game.

Where he still struggles is rushing the passer. We're a little better in that department this year over last year, I think. But, we're still pretty bad. And it seems to be a 'scheme' issue more than a personnel issue in my opinion. So, that's pretty frustrating.

But I personally wouldn't fire Chinander after this season if I were Frost - I would just look him in the eye and tell him to fix the pass rushing situation immediately.

• Plus1 2

Just now, TGHusker said:

How would you suggest he do that if he hasn't done it already?

I'd consider subbing in a fourth linemen and playing in a 4-3 on passing downs when substitution allowed for it. I'd play Casey Rogers & Ty Robinson on the ends and then Daniels & Stille in the middle. And then I'd rush a backer like Tannor.

In lieu of that plan, I'd play Tannor on the line but lined up a bit wider. So no more just manning right up against a tackle, but a wide set to pull the tackle back and allow a different backer to rush through that gap. No more of this "blitzing from 5 yards back from the line of scrimmage" crap.

7 minutes ago, Undone said:

From the point that Diaco left the run defense after the 2017 season (which is to say totally in shambles), Chinander has done a good job of steadily improving in that phase of the game.

Where he still struggles is rushing the passer. We're a little better in that department this year over last year, I think. But, we're still pretty bad. And it seems to be a 'scheme' issue more than a personnel issue in my opinion. So, that's pretty frustrating.

But I personally wouldn't fire Chinander after this season if I were Frost - I would just look him in the eye and tell him to fix the pass rushing situation immediately.

I think pass rushing is almost always a personnel issue.

It's why when Pelini needed instant improvement he went directly after Randy Gregory.

I'm hoping Payne might help.....I just don't see Nelson piling up sacks.

7 minutes ago, Undone said:

I'd consider subbing in a fourth linemen and playing in a 4-3 on passing downs when substitution allowed for it. I'd play Casey Rogers & Ty Robinson on the ends and then Daniels & Stille in the middle. And then I'd rush a backer like Tannor.

In lieu of that plan, I'd play Tannor on the line but lined up a bit wider. So no more just manning right up against a tackle, but a wide set to pull the tackle back and allow a different backer to rush through that gap. No more of this "blitzing from 5 yards back from the line of scrimmage" crap.

Good points.  I esp agree wt the line set up.   When can you start as DC and can we pay you with Runza's :Runza2:so we can get a real OC

and ST coach in here?

Chinanders issues stem from having way too much assignment football in today’s game. They constantly play reactionary defense to everything rather than set the tone themselves. If you rewatch every game this year and watch the coverage and run assignment busts what stands out is the fact that our guys are often times moving to their assignments contrary to where the play is going from the offense. Opposing offenses scheme up ways to exploit where our guys vacate and adjust very well to Chins scheme. What it tells me is our guys are getting burned because they are constantly out of position. Not because they suck at football. 

I for one think its time for him to get canned. It’s one thing for your scheme to fail time and time again. It’s another for a total lack of adjusting to offenses and giving up mind boggling offensive stats week in and week out.

Ive seen enough from the guy.

• Plus1 1