Iowa Week Pressers

Mavric

1 minute ago, Farms said:

Maybe they could bond over beating Iowa for once, that’s be neat. 

I agree, but you got anything for this week? Or no bonding until they win? I just think it's way overblown - he was asked about his mustache, not like he brought it up to show how serious they are or aren't. I know some fans would like every player to publicly apologize and offer to pay for our cable/streaming service/whatever in reparation for making us watch that game. But let's get over ourselves here, growing mustaches will not negatively impact practice, and has zero effect on us. I really don't care what they want to do to try and come together. If it's not taking away from their time and effort in practice and meetings, I do not care.

52 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

I'm not sure I buy the receivers not going hard quote. Feels like a quote to take heat off QBs and coaches. Receivers have been making some good blocks and were open fairly often during the course of the game. Luke being able to get them the ball was a different story however. His miss of Wandale being wide open 15-20 yards down the sideline was especially frustrating as he even had set his feet and was not touched in throwing the ball. Just missed him by a good 10 yards. 

Agreed that the coaches are too quick to go back to using Wandale and Luke exclusively. This last game it was obvious that Luke didn't trust his arm/eyes and would scramble at first blink. Martinez seems to be able to find different receivers in his one drive and actually looked pretty composed. Really hoping they start Martinez and use Luke like we did against Ohio State in various situations but not taking the bulk of the snaps at QB. 

There is plenty of under performance to go around, that’s for sure. Open receivers are being missed or not seen, other times WRs are not getting open and I haven’t been impressed with play calling or offensive decisions either. So much is not working it makes it difficult to know where to start. But it is apparent that nobody has to respect our passing game and we have absolutely no threat beyond ten yards from the LOS. I’ll start with blaming the coaches because they’re ultimately responsible for such an anemic throwing game but there’s plenty to go around for both QBs and WRs too.

And while I’m in a mood, have we ever once gained any yards on those quick outs or bubble screens? We complete a lot of them but the WR gets buried by 4 guys in a nano second. I want to blame perimeter blocking but it’s always just so ridiculously useless I want to blame the coaches for ever calling it. But they just keep doing it. It’s like they have a quota of plays to waste a down. I don’t get it.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

I'm not sure I buy the receivers not going hard quote. Feels like a quote to take heat off QBs and coaches. Receivers have been making some good blocks and were open fairly often during the course of the game. Luke being able to get them the ball was a different story however. His miss of Wandale being wide open 15-20 yards down the sideline was especially frustrating as he even had set his feet and was not touched in throwing the ball. Just missed him by a good 10 yards. 

Agreed that the coaches are too quick to go back to using Wandale and Luke exclusively. This last game it was obvious that Luke didn't trust his arm/eyes and would scramble at first blink. Martinez seems to be able to find different receivers in his one drive and actually looked pretty composed. Really hoping they start Martinez and use Luke like we did against Ohio State in various situations but not taking the bulk of the snaps at QB. 

If the receivers not going hard quote isn't true, at least Frost, Warner and Robinson were all telling a similar fib.

It will be interesting to see who the captains are next season.

We need to get to the point where the disciplinary measures from peers for bad performance is worse than that from the coaching staff.

• Fire 1

4 minutes ago, TheSker said:

If the receivers not going hard quote isn't true, at least Frost, Warner and Robinson were all telling a similar fib.

We need to get to the point where the disciplinary measures from peers for bad performance is worse than that from the coaching staff.

Agreed on the internal accountability. I don't want to say those three were lying but it just felt like a weak excuse as outside of Warner dropping a couple passes, I don't recall the receivers making many boneheaded plays so far this year when given the opportunity. Maybe they are screwing around in practice but based on how they've been used so far this year, it wouldn't surprise me if they're bored with the screen passes or five yard slants into coverage. 

Would be really nice to have an Omar Manning sighting this week. His size alone would give a defense something different to think about. 

21 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

There is plenty of under performance to go around, that’s for sure. Open receivers are being missed or not seen, other times WRs are not getting open and I haven’t been impressed with play calling or offensive decisions either. So much is not working it makes it difficult to know where to start. But it is apparent that nobody has to respect our passing game and we have absolutely no threat beyond ten yards from the LOS. I’ll start with blaming the coaches because they’re ultimately responsible for such an anemic throwing game but there’s plenty to go around for both QBs and WRs too.

And while I’m in a mood, have we ever once gained any yards on those quick outs or bubble screens? We complete a lot of them but the WR gets buried by 4 guys in a nano second. I want to blame perimeter blocking but it’s always just so ridiculously useless I want to blame the coaches for ever calling it. But they just keep doing it. It’s like they have a quota of plays to waste a down. I don’t get it.

Agreed 100%. They use the receivers to block quite a bit but those screens only work if we are a threat to go vertical. Otherwise our blockers just become dummies with downhill DBs hunting for the ball. 

3 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

I don't want to say those three were lying but it just felt like a weak excuse as outside of Warner dropping a couple passes, I don't recall the receivers making many boneheaded plays so far this year when given the opportunity.

Really?  Two WRs in the same spot on the field isn't an indication of a major screwup by one of them?  I guess it could be a new fangled passing scheme where it confuses the defense as to why they would want to be next to each other.

How about a WR running into the QB and RB at a mesh point on a hand off?

• Thanks 3
1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Do the players have to talk to the press?  I get they are trying to get ready for the next level but if I'm a player I'm not talking to the press right after a loss.  Should be only after a win.

I think most of us agree that this is best for the players. The scary part is why doesn’t the coach see this. 

28 minutes ago, TheSker said:

JP says hello. And approves your message.

To add with this presser and the Hail Varsity article this team has issues.  And I have no idea how one would fix it...

37 minutes ago, lo country said:

JP says hello. And approves your message.

To add with this presser and the Hail Varsity article this team has issues.  And I have no idea how one would fix it...

I think what you are referring to with JP as an example is how this ultimately gets fixed. 

Are our current captains those type?  Methinks not ....

I think Frost knows this.....but he can't really force that hand as coach.

1 hour ago, lo country said:

As a fan, you fix it by having patience.  Honestly, I know that's tough.  I was frustrated and pissed off on Saturday.  But, Frost has the right attitude as a coach. He's shown he's willing to make assistant changes and even change his starting QB.  He's willing to do what it takes to turn this around.  The best thing we can do as fans is at least show that we support the efforts.

One thing that changing coaches every 3-4 years does is it instills in the players that..."see, we weren't the problem".  That has been bred into this program for the last 20 years.  It has to stop somewhere and now is when it needs to stop.  

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

As a fan, you fix it by having patience.  Honestly, I know that's tough.  I was frustrated and pissed off on Saturday.  But, Frost has the right attitude as a coach. He's shown he's willing to make assistant changes and even change his starting QB.  He's willing to do what it takes to turn this around.  The best thing we can do as fans is at least show that we support the efforts.

Yep. I would be concerned about HCSF if he showed signs of not being willing to make changes or adjust what he’s doing (like Pelini exhibited) but that simply has not been the case. He has changed some coaches, tried other players and quarterbacks and I expect we’ll continue to see that until he gets things fixed. I don’t doubt his resolve to see this thing turned around. At. All. So yeah, it just boggles my mind when we have so many fans go off the deep end clamoring to replace Frost after games like NW and Illinois. It’s like they have not learned a single thing in the last 20 years.

I fully realize it’s taking longer than anyone is comfortable with (me included) but replacing a guy who wants it fixed more than anyone and is endeavoring to do that very thing won’t help anything. Like I said, if he didn’t recognize the problems or wasn’t willing to address them, fine, but that is not what is happening.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Really?  Two WRs in the same spot on the field isn't an indication of a major screwup by one of them?  I guess it could be a new fangled passing scheme where it confuses the defense as to why they would want to be next to each other.

How about a WR running into the QB and RB at a mesh point on a hand off?

Sure, that has happened a few times. Happens in the NFL each week as well. The reasons for our losses are quite a few, I can't point to the receivers being the root cause based on what I've seen. Not with QBs short hopping five yard tosses or airmailing receivers down the sideline even though the QB has time to set his feet and no defender within five yards. Or running our smallest receiver in as a running back 3-4 times in a row to the core of a defense with highly regarded running backs sitting on the sidelines.

Are the receivers messing up? Yes. Are the QBs messing up? Yes. Are our coaches messing up? Zero doubt in my mind. If we want to start winning, we need to start playing team football and not hero ball. Our QBs and Wandale account for 2/3 of all carries (107) this season. Our runningbacks combined account for 55 carries total. Wandale accounts for 21 catches while the rest of the receiver room accounts for 21 receptions combined. The coaches need to start finding ways to get the ball distributed better because whatever this offense is, it doesn't work at this level. 

• Plus1 1