Frost Staff Changes

Bama hired Sark for O and a dude from UTSA to help Saban run the Defense. Georgia snagged a coach from the NFL to run their offense. Oklahoma got Grinch from OSU/WSU fame, and Beamers kid who was at Georgia. Clemson obviously went out and got the best defensive mind in the country in Venables. OSU brought in an old timer in Mattison who was a D Coordinator at Michigan and for the Ravens. 

Frost brought all of his boys and then had one big hire since then, and literally hired a guy that learned under Frost, and probably thinks more like Frost than any other coach he could have hired.

Sometimes you need to hire guys that question your philosophy. Iron sharpens Iron. Right now we have a staff full of dudes that owe Frost for taking them big time and getting them life changing paychecks.  None of them can draw on experience to question Frost. Frost should get comfortable getting uncomfortable, my gut says he needs more dudes on his staff willing to look at things from a different angle and call him on his s#!t. That's not a knock on Frost, every good coach knows where they are weak, and supplements it. 

Thoughts?

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 4

I agree completely we need to make major staff changes. He just did OC last year so he won’t do that even though it needs it. Pretty sad you switch OC and might be worse. 

D has got to happen. But it’s his buddy so I doubt it. 

We are f#&%ed. He will do some lower tier assistant like Mario to take some heat off him. 

• Plus1 2

How good would Sark, Grinch, Venables or any of the other big names look with our bunch of rookies?  I get fans are ticked- I am too.  However, I think we need to pump the brakes.  Our defense was looking pretty good for a couple of games.  We have some really talented youth who were recruited by these guys.  Imo, they deserve the chance to show what they can do with them in 2021.  As far as offense, I think our new OC deserves more than 4 games during the weirdest stretch of college football in our lifetimes to get it rolling. 

I do think some of your comments make sense and Frost may need to go outside his comfort zone.  I just think this would be a terrible time to do so.     

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
3 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

How good would Sark, Grinch, Venables or any of the other big names look with our bunch of rookies?  I get fans are ticked- I am too.  However, I think we need to pump the brakes.  Our defense was looking pretty good for a couple of games.  We have some really talented youth who were recruited by these guys.  Imo, they deserve the chance to show what they can do with them in 2021.  As far as offense, I think our new OC deserves more than 4 games during the weirdest stretch of college football in our lifetimes to get it rolling. 

I do think some of your comments make sense and Frost may need to go outside his comfort zone.  I just think this would be a terrible time to do so.     

Completely agree. Especially (to the bolded) with two QBs who have struggled with down the field throws. 

• Plus1 3
19 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

Completely agree. Especially (to the bolded) with two QBs who have struggled with down the field throws. 

No need to pump breaks.. Us fans know, just need an OC who can call the plays that work. Has to be somebody smart out there that can design a gameplan around a mediocre offensive line featuring running backs with poor vision using a few trick plays here and there from a QB that can't throw over 10 yards downfield to receivers that either don't know the route or can't create separation. Sadly, to some that seems a more realistic option than just letting these men mature a bit more. It's a bummer because we all want the quick fix but there is no quick fix for what is on the field currently. Bottom line, we are a poor football team this year back to looking for small signs of trending improvement as opposed to the break out we all want so badly. 

• Plus1 2

You can't judge our OC yet because he's barely been able to work with the kids. No spring and then limited summer and a screwed up fall schedule I don't think you can see what his full impact will be yet. Also, for that matter, I think our WRs have looked better this year than last we just aren't getting them the ball when we need to..

That being said basically anyone else on the staff I think is fair game for criticism or changing. Dawson and Ruud might be safe to keep around as I think our LBs have improved this year from last. Doesn't mean they are great, but there is improvement. Tuioti on the DL seems to develop well, but I think we need to see how his recruiting plays out.

Held and Fisher are probably ok because of recruiting, but I think we really need to look at Mario, Beckton, and Austin.

3 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

You can't judge our OC yet because he's barely been able to work with the kids. No spring and then limited summer and a screwed up fall schedule I don't think you can see what his full impact will be yet. Also, for that matter, I think our WRs have looked better this year than last we just aren't getting them the ball when we need to..

That being said basically anyone else on the staff I think is fair game for criticism or changing. Dawson and Ruud might be safe to keep around as I think our LBs have improved this year from last. Doesn't mean they are great, but there is improvement. Tuioti on the DL seems to develop well, but I think we need to see how his recruiting plays out.

Held and Fisher are probably ok because of recruiting, but I think we really need to look at Mario, Beckton, and Austin.

Let's be honest,  we can judge the OC because it's Frost.  Lubick is the WR coach and gets more time clearly.  

The most troublesome thing are the comments about how Frost was thinking about plays and missed the error leading to the fake punt, the personnel issues on special teams etc. What else is he missing by only paying attention to the offense? What is going on in practice? That's unacceptable to me after he chose to not hire a full-time ST coordinator.  He's mostly ignoring 2 sides of the ball still, and the one he is paying attention to is the worst. 

These are giant red flags folks,  I hate to say it.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

Frost doesn't seem like he is watching practice?  the players saw the lack of effort and preparation, but he missed it??

you can't run your QB 26 times and expect to win. Lubick must be a Frost clone, what did we gain??  nothing.

he doesn't trust any of the RB's, except for Mills??  WTF????  he acts like he is scared to coach and change things up.

he needs to make some changes and keep his mouth shut.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Objectively speaking, I'm unsure if I see enough measurements to support retaining Frost but not some of his assistants. The program is battling the same demons it's been battling for two decades, and perhaps the biggest problem area on the team is the one Frost has the most to do with.

I like Frost and want to see him do well. I haven't been a huge Chin fan and Lubick's early results aren't promising. But, at this point, I'm not convinced assistant adjustments are the key to success.

We've sure been saying this about staff changes for a long time, over the course of four head coaching hires.  We've also been saying a lot about this or that quarterback not being up to the job, this or that defense not being right for the Big Ten, this or that O-line not being able to protect our quarterback, this or that special team not being able to secure the ball, this or that head coach not being able to control the game clock and/or time-outs, etc. 

Etc.  Twenty years.  Several good coaches (one former good one probably past his prime, our dear Mr. Riley). 

So, besides all that, what else could be wrong?  Recruiting?  I'm at a loss. 

I said from day 1 this was going to be an issue. I only liked Fisher for the guys he brought over. People kept telling me how much they loved Dewitt, Walters etc. There is only 1 thing that needs to change and it is DC...Chin goes and we see a major improvement I'd bet anything on it. Only way I see Frost getting rid of Chin is a bad season in 2021 and Moos says he has no choice. 

Frost has proven to score points - Chins has never proved anything. Not one P5 team would want him if we let him go -- that should be a big sign in itself. Our offense has not been good this year I get that, but a few minor changes and I can see us taking off next season with the young kids getting more time in the program. 

To patch up the offense over the next few games I'd  switch Farniok and Jurgens. I was a QB my whole life and worrying about getting snaps is something that cannot happen especially with our type of offense. 

RB: Scott/Wandale, Mills if healthy 

WR: Wandale, Betts, Fleming, Martin, Falck - no more Warner and Liewer   

50 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Let's be honest,  we can judge the OC because it's Frost.  Lubick is the WR coach and gets more time clearly.  

The most troublesome thing are the comments about how Frost was thinking about plays and missed the error leading to the fake punt, the personnel issues on special teams etc. What else is he missing by only paying attention to the offense? What is going on in practice? That's unacceptable to me after he chose to not hire a full-time ST coordinator.  He's mostly ignoring 2 sides of the ball still, and the one he is paying attention to is the worst. 

These are giant red flags folks,  I hate to say it.

Very good point. A big time OC will not come here to be a WR Coach. The reason the offense sucked year 2 and sucks year 3 even though we switched OC. Is because Walters and Lubick are not really the OC. Frost is. So doesn't matter who we bring in because they are just a WR coach with an OC title. A big time OC will not come unless Frost gets the f#&% out of the way.

Just now, All Hail Herbie said:

Does a staff change mean hiring someone who can prevent an opposing punter from walking 15 yards for a 1st Down, teaching a Center how to snap a ball, or even prevent turnovers?

Does that assistant get a "quality control" title?

Again, I wish the problem was this simple to diagnose and solve.

Good points here as well, I remember feeling this way about Mike Riley teams. We are so bad at everything where do you even start to fix it. Year 3 we have just as many things to fix as the day Riley left. I am sorry that is a VERY bad sign. $5 Million per year. $35 Million contract. 

The Illinois game was inexcusable, but I think we've got to see the rest of the year before calling for heads to roll. I was very encouraged by the DL/LBs overall in the first couple games, if they play like that in the last 3 I'm still on board with the defense. It reminded me a lot of the Minnesota game last year though, and you can't have a game like that each year. 

7 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Frost has proven to score points - Chins has never proved anything. 

To patch up the offense over the next few games I'd  switch Farniok and Jurgens. I was a QB my whole life and worrying about getting snaps is something that cannot happen especially with our type of offense. 

Has he though? Scoring points in the AAC/Pac-12 is one thing, I'd argue consistently underperforming our expected point totals based on yardage is Frost's calling card in the Big Ten so far. He has proven to rack up yards, points not so much. I agree on Center for sure - if Cam's not healthy and can't get the snaps right all the time while compensating, you've gotta go with the next guy.