Frost Staff Changes

3 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

The Illinois game was inexcusable, but I think we've got to see the rest of the year before calling for heads to roll. I was very encouraged by the DL/LBs overall in the first couple games, if they play like that in the last 3 I'm still on board with the defense. It reminded me a lot of the Minnesota game last year though, and you can't have a game like that each year. 

Has he though? Scoring points in the AAC/Pac-12 is one thing, I'd argue consistently underperforming our expected point totals based on yardage is Frost's calling card in the Big Ten so far. He has proven to rack up yards, points not so much. I agree on Center for sure - if Cam's not healthy and can't get the snaps right all the time while compensating, you've gotta go with the next guy. 

We are scoring 21 per game. Allowing 34 per game. That is pathetic on both fronts. If we would have played wisconsin I am confident our offense would be below 20 and defense would be upper 30's 

• Plus1 3

Primarily (and easily) Chinander and then Lubick.  Not sure exactly if anything Lubick has given us and how it has actually made us better at this point.  Also no more having your WR's run half a$$ routes in practice like EVER.  I can't believe I just had to type this.

Nebraska's problems aren't just on the field. I still believe in SF as far as being our head coach but you can't do it alone.  You've got to have great assistants also (who can also recruit) if you want to do great things in the Power 5.

• Plus1 1

The stop the run issue has been a Nebraska issue for years.  Do I need to bring up Gordon from Wisc - I think he is still running up yards against us :facepalm:.   We have had good to great play from our safeties and corners in years past and I think we have a good group this year as well.  I think the issue is physicality.  If our front 7 aren't physical/aggressive enough, they hang our back 4 out to dry.  On OL, physicality is equally important - they must attack and not just block.  Perhaps we need to be tracking pancakes again.

Bo's teams went soft the last few years without a feared up front 7 guy - a SUH, Crick, Gregory, or a David,  Riley's team were very soft, and we have yet to regain the type of physicality we were once known for, or dare I say FEARED by other teams, that we had  during the Solich era and of course during the Osborne years.   This is what it takes to compete in the Big 10.  Sure, the Big 12, AAC, Pac 10 may be different - but in the Big 10 there has to be both a mental and physical attitude whereby you grind the opponent down.   Long gone are the days when Tom Osborne could  tell  the team at half time of the Miami NC game in the Orange Bowl : paraphrase: "We'll win the 2nd half, they will get tired, we will be stronger and they will make mistakes and get personal fouls because of it'.  He was prophetic in every way and it played out exactly that way - because they had done their work in practice.  It was said that Tom's players looked forward to games because they knew it would be much easier than the practices.

If physicality and might I add discipline (avoid stupid penalties and turnovers) aren't stressed as a #1 priority, it won't matter who we have as QB, RB, or OL/DL or who is calling the plays or what style of football we play.  We might as well join the AAC, Mountain West or some other G5 conference or be content as a bottom dweller in the Big 10.   

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

6 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Primarily (and easily) Chinander and then Lubick.  Not sure exactly if anything Lubick has given us and how it has actually made us better at this point.  Also no more having your WR's run half a$$ routes in practice like EVER.  I can't believe I just had to type this.

Nebraska's problems aren't just on the field. I still believe in SF as far as being our head coach but you can't do it alone.  You've got to have great assistants also (who can also recruit) if you want to do great things in the Power 5.

Good example of how s#!tty our defense really is. 

Keep it simple and look at one opponent. Illinois. 

They played 4 games prior to Nebraska. In those 4 games their average points per game was 17.

They scored 41 on Nebraska.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Very good point. A big time OC will not come here to be a WR Coach. The reason the offense sucked year 2 and sucks year 3 even though we switched OC. Is because Walters and Lubick are not really the OC. Frost is. So doesn't matter who we bring in because they are just a WR coach with an OC title. A big time OC will not come unless Frost gets the f#&% out of the way.

so true.

1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Very good point. A big time OC will not come here to be a WR Coach. The reason the offense sucked year 2 and sucks year 3 even though we switched OC. Is because Walters and Lubick are not really the OC. Frost is. So doesn't matter who we bring in because they are just a WR coach with an OC title. A big time OC will not come unless Frost gets the f#&% out of the way.

A "big time" OC wouldn't come right now anyway.  He'd see two redshirt freshman on the OL, a center situation with snapping issues and freshman all over the place at skill positions....

.....and say "no thanks".

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, TheSker said:

A "big time" OC wouldn't come right now anyway.  He'd see two redshirt freshman on the OL, a center situation with snapping issues and freshman all over the place at skill positions....

.....and say "no thanks".

We could have juniors at all of those positions you just mentioned, and a "big time" OC would still say no thanks.  It's for the very same reason a "big time" OC would have told TO no thanks.  The HC calls the plays.  Why in the heck would a "big time" OC ever take a job like that? 

People really do have a tendency to have short memories.  Venables was pretty much run out of Norman.  The OU fans hated him.  Now, he's considered one of if not the very best DC out there.  Considering Bob Stoops was a defensive minded coach and was a DC before becoming HC at OU, I wonder if anyone has considered that maybe Venables wasn't the problem while he was at OU?  I just don't get why anyone is calling out the OC here when in reality they aren't really even the OC.   

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

We could have juniors at all of those positions you just mentioned, and a "big time" OC would still say no thanks.  It's for the very same reason a "big time" OC would have told TO no thanks.  The HC calls the plays.  Why in the heck would a "big time" OC ever take a job like that? 

People really do have a tendency to have short memories.  Venables was pretty much run out of Norman.  The OU fans hated him.  Now, he's considered one of if not the very best DC out there.  Considering Bob Stoops was a defensive minded coach and was a DC before becoming HC at OU, I wonder if anyone has considered that maybe Venables wasn't the problem while he was at OU?  I just don't get why anyone is calling out the OC here when in reality they aren't really even the OC.   

I totally agree with your post.

2 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

I said from day 1 this was going to be an issue. I only liked Fisher for the guys he brought over. People kept telling me how much they loved Dewitt, Walters etc. There is only 1 thing that needs to change and it is DC...Chin goes and we see a major improvement I'd bet anything on it. Only way I see Frost getting rid of Chin is a bad season in 2021 and Moos says he has no choice. 

Frost has proven to score points - Chins has never proved anything. Not one P5 team would want him if we let him go -- that should be a big sign in itself. Our offense has not been good this year I get that, but a few minor changes and I can see us taking off next season with the young kids getting more time in the program. 

To patch up the offense over the next few games I'd  switch Farniok and Jurgens. I was a QB my whole life and worrying about getting snaps is something that cannot happen especially with our type of offense. 

RB: Scott/Wandale, Mills if healthy 

WR: Wandale, Betts, Fleming, Martin, Falck - no more Warner and Liewer   

I agree Chins needs to prolly go... but has Frost really proven he can score points? lol

As pissed off as this defense gets me, they've played way better throughout this year and feel like they've held up their end of the bargain (at least what's expected out of a crappy near winless team).  We dont win PSU without the defense and NW was a game simply cause the D kept us in.  

Not saying our defense is where it should be, because its definitely not (the lack of pressure on qb plus weak sauce cushion coverage in the secondary is a disaster of a game plan), but that side has also gotten hung out to dry by our offense that cant move the chains consistently and cant score 7 when in the redzone.  

57 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Good example of how s#!tty our defense really is. 

Keep it simple and look at one opponent. Illinois. 

They played 4 games prior to Nebraska. In those 4 games their average points per game was 17.

They scored 41 on Nebraska.

Right, not a good look.

This isn't in a vacuum tho.  That brain dead play by LMC to start the game and give them 7 a min in to set the tone, the ridiculous turnovers popping up, the constant 3 and outs, going for it on 4th and not converting after a horrendous 3rd down play call that had minimal chance of success, BRAIN DEAD PENALTY AFTER BRAIN DEAD PENALTY on 1st downs, time outs, starting quarters, etc.  

Getting 41 hung on ya by Illinois is a horrendous look, but lets be honest, our offense shares more than 50% of the blame in this situation... Look at this piss poor drive chart- This is inexcusable and no freaking defense is going to carry a team to the level we want when our offense f'n sucks.  Dominated in TOP and dominated in turnovers, thats a recipe for a s#!tty f'n team and season

image.thumb.png.ae53fbb85d101b1dcb0a418476308a33.png

1 minute ago, gossamorharpy said:

Right, not a good look.

This isn't in a vacuum tho.  That brain dead play by LMC to start the game and give them 7 a min in to set the tone, the ridiculous turnovers popping up, the constant 3 and outs, going for it on 4th and not converting after a horrendous 3rd down play call that had minimal chance of success, BRAIN DEAD PENALTY AFTER BRAIN DEAD PENALTY on 1st downs, time outs, starting quarters, etc.  

Getting 41 hung on ya by Illinois is a horrendous look, but lets be honest, our offense shares more than 50% of the blame in this situation... Look at this piss poor drive chart- This is inexcusable and no freaking defense is going to carry a team to the level we want when our offense f'n sucks.  Dominated in TOP and dominated in turnovers, thats a recipe for a s#!tty f'n team and season

image.thumb.png.ae53fbb85d101b1dcb0a418476308a33.png

I cant believe I'm quoting myself here, BUT 10 FREAKING PLAYS IN A WHOLE QUARTER?!?!? Scott Frost should be f'n ashamed