Frost Staff Changes

32 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

The offense can't score points when they are giving the ball away.  Illinois scored 24 points off turnovers.  We will not win a game with a -5 turnover margin.  Blaming the defense for the loss against Illinois is like blaming a gun for a homicide.  

Two of those turnovers came on fourth down.  Illinois was going to get the ball anyway.  Let's not make excuses for the defense.  It's not good.  Illinois had a lead in their previous games for a grand total of three seconds prior to this weekend.  

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, gossamorharpy said:

I agree Chins needs to prolly go... but has Frost really proven he can score points? lol

As pissed off as this defense gets me, they've played way better throughout this year and feel like they've held up their end of the bargain (at least what's expected out of a crappy near winless team).  We dont win PSU without the defense and NW was a game simply cause the D kept us in.  

Not saying our defense is where it should be, because its definitely not (the lack of pressure on qb plus weak sauce cushion coverage in the secondary is a disaster of a game plan), but that side has also gotten hung out to dry by our offense that cant move the chains consistently and cant score 7 when in the redzone.  

He led the nation in points at UCF - I get that was a small sample size but you can't avg 48 ppg by accident. When he took over they avg 14 ppg two years prior. We had a good offense in 2018 with a young team and completely new system. He was also efficient as OC at Oregon 

• Plus1 2
13 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Bama hired Sark for O and a dude from UTSA to help Saban run the Defense. Georgia snagged a coach from the NFL to run their offense. Oklahoma got Grinch from OSU/WSU fame, and Beamers kid who was at Georgia. Clemson obviously went out and got the best defensive mind in the country in Venables. OSU brought in an old timer in Mattison who was a D Coordinator at Michigan and for the Ravens. 

Frost brought all of his boys and then had one big hire since then, and literally hired a guy that learned under Frost, and probably thinks more like Frost than any other coach he could have hired.

Sometimes you need to hire guys that question your philosophy. Iron sharpens Iron. Right now we have a staff full of dudes that owe Frost for taking them big time and getting them life changing paychecks.  None of them can draw on experience to question Frost. Frost should get comfortable getting uncomfortable, my gut says he needs more dudes on his staff willing to look at things from a different angle and call him on his s#!t. That's not a knock on Frost, every good coach knows where they are weak, and supplements it. 

Thoughts?

I completely agree and posted a similar thread at the end of last season as well.  I was happy to see Frost get a new OC but he has a lot more work to do regarding his staff.  What worked for him at Oregon and UCF is not working in the BIG despite Nebraska having some of the best talent in the BIG West division.  Here are some items Frost needs to consider if he wants to remain the long-term coach at Nebraska.

• Self-awareness-Frost needs to acknowledge what is not working and show a willingness to change his own perspectives.  His initial press conference as Nebraska head coach showed a very confident (even cocky) coach who felt he was going to come into the BIG and steamroll the competition.  That has not happened, and in fact, he has to accept that he has inherited a bad program and somehow made it even worse.  He must also accept that he has had one winning season in 4 years and it could soon be one winning season out of 5 years.
  • Assess every coaching philosophy and scheme he has used and determine if that is the right path forward for Nebraska to be competitive in the BIG.  Will the Oregon offensive approach that Lubick is accustomed too succeed in the BIG?  Thus far it has not.  Is Chinander's approach the right one for Nebraska long term?  I don't see Chinander as the right coach with the right philosophy and he should be the first to go after this season ends.
  • Once Frost has determined what changes need to be made to the offensive and defensive approaches, he then needs to identify which coaches will be the best to lead those groups.  If he feels Chin and Lubick are the answers then he would retain them.  I would hope he would move in a different direction with Chin, and if Lubick is not panning out, there is no need to keep him around for a couple more years.
  • What is the role of the head coach?  It appears Frost is spending too much time focusing on the offense which has taken away his ability to see the big picture for the full program.  Frost is the CEO of the team and should assemble the best staff for offense, defense and special teams.
  • Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
21 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

He led the nation in points at UCF - I get that was a small sample size but you can't avg 48 ppg by accident. When he took over they avg 14 ppg two years prior. We had a good offense in 2018 with a young team and completely new system. He was also efficient as OC at Oregon 

Willie Taggert was good at G5 level.

I think you could go on and on about coaches who had success as coordinators at the P5 and G5 success as head coach then went P5 and were failures.

• Plus1 2

Defense wasn't good against Illinois. No question they did not play well. Beyond the most recent game, they have appeared to improve over last year. Here is the more important question:

When was the last time the offense was good? Maryland last year sure... but before then?

Frost needs 35 points to win games. We have scored 35 in six games the past two and a half years and we won each of those games. We are 3-18 when we don't score 35. If we are to expect the defense to win us games, we need to overhaul the offense and become the T-Magic 2.0 years where the offense just has to hold the ball long enough for the defense to rest and maybe score 1-2 touchdowns a game.

22 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Defense wasn't good against Illinois. No question they did not play well. Beyond the most recent game, they have appeared to improve over last year. Here is the more important question:

When was the last time the offense was good? Maryland last year sure... but before then?

Frost needs 35 points to win games. We have scored 35 in six games the past two and a half years and we won each of those games. We are 3-18 when we don't score 35. If we are to expect the defense to win us games, we need to overhaul the offense and become the T-Magic 2.0 years where the offense just has to hold the ball long enough for the defense to rest and maybe score 1-2 touchdowns a game.

Great points.  I will take a stout defense over an electric offense any day of the week.  In 2009 NU had one of the best defenses in the country, and as a result, they were competitive in every game they played.  A strong defense allows an offense to have an off game and still be in the game heading into the 4th quarter.  

Neither the defense or offense have played consistently the past 2 seasons.  The defense has shown some arginal improvements but not on a consistent basis.  I would not be surprised to see Iowa put up 35-plus points against Nebraska this Friday.  

• Plus1 1
Just now, HuskerNation1 said:

Great points.  I will take a stout defense over an electric offense any day of the week.  In 2009 NU had one of the best defenses in the country, and as a result, they were competitive in every game they played.  A strong defense allows an offense to have an off game and still be in the game heading into the 4th quarter.  

Neither the defense or offense have played consistently the past 2 seasons.  The defense has shown some arginal improvements but not on a consistent basis.  I would not be surprised to see Iowa put up 35-plus points against Nebraska this Friday.  

We average allowing 34 points a game. It is not about being surprised. It is about expecting at least that. I expect at least 35 to match our season average. I wont be surprised if it is over 45.

5 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I agree, I would rather have a stout defense too but the system Frost lives by is not one that leads to a top 10 defense unfortunately. It is no coincidence that of the Top 30 defenses (based on yards/game), 24 of those teams are in the Top 30 of Time of Possession in the country. 

I think the game will be much closer than most are predicting. I believe we're going to play much better and pull out a victory. I thought we would've won against Illinois by 7-10 so take my prediction with a grain of salt as I'm pretty optimistic about Big Red. Hopefully they can prove it this weekend.

• Plus1 1

"Held and Fisher are probably ok because of recruiting, but I think we really need to look at Mario, Beckton, and Austin"

Verdu--> needs to go.. 2AM has regressed, Luke was not ready..we lost Vedral and Gebbia.. QB room is a mess

RB Room-?  wow.. do miss Devine? others.. we had pre-frost.. what happened to Greg Bell? again.. transfers.. weirdness....

OLine? wow.. been a mess for a while... wonder how many of those QB plays look better with snaps delivered to the QB instead of towards the QB....L or R give or take...

Chins-- needs to go.. he was bad here in Oregon... bad at UCF.... ( Offense kept them winning ) 

This staff is not a Big10 winning staff.. its not a Pac12 top tier staff.. Big12? okish.. yes... but Frost brain is Pac12 / speed style..  Chip K and Frost are NOT winning since Oregon / UCF days.. 

We need a Rutgers, Iowa, Wisc, Youngstown lol .. etc.. blue collar staff... the tan and cigar smoking UCF style is no good in November rain snow... Mario..  ;)

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, HuskerRobNOregon said:

"Held and Fisher are probably ok because of recruiting, but I think we really need to look at Mario, Beckton, and Austin"

Verdu--> needs to go.. 2AM has regressed, Luke was not ready..we lost Vedral and Gebbia.. QB room is a mess

RB Room-?  wow.. do miss Devine? others.. we had pre-frost.. what happened to Greg Bell? again.. transfers.. weirdness....

OLine? wow.. been a mess for a while... wonder how many of those QB plays look better with snaps delivered to the QB instead of towards the QB....L or R give or take...

Chins-- needs to go.. he was bad here in Oregon... bad at UCF.... ( Offense kept them winning ) 

This staff is not a Big10 winning staff.. its not a Pac12 top tier staff.. Big12? okish.. yes... but Frost brain is Pac12 / speed style..  Chip K and Frost are NOT winning since Oregon / UCF days.. 

We need a Rutgers, Iowa, Wisc, Youngstown lol .. etc.. blue collar staff... the tan and cigar smoking UCF style is no good in November rain snow... Mario..  ;)

I said the same thing about Chin, when Scott was hired. Was told he would have better players here and do fine. Scott put up so many points at UCF, that the wins covered up what the D really was. I think after next year if Chin can't put a decent team out there, then Scott has to take a hard look at Chin's job. He can always move him to help at a different part of the program. 

GBR!!!

5 minutes ago, huskered17 said:

I said the same thing about Chin, when Scott was hired. Was told he would have better players here and do fine. Scott put up so many points at UCF, that the wins covered up what the D really was. I think after next year if Chin can't put a decent team out there, then Scott has to take a hard look at Chin's job. He can always move him to help at a different part of the program. 

GBR!!!

Fans will be saying this as long as chin is here. He cant stop the run and doesn't play enough pass heavy teams in the big 10 to cover it up.

• Plus1 1