Frost Staff Changes

5 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

He led the nation in points at UCF - I get that was a small sample size but you can't avg 48 ppg by accident. When he took over they avg 14 ppg two years prior. We had a good offense in 2018 with a young team and completely new system. He was also efficient as OC at Oregon 

All true and fair! Just wanna see it here finally !!!!

4 hours ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

I agree, I would rather have a stout defense too but the system Frost lives by is not one that leads to a top 10 defense unfortunately. It is no coincidence that of the Top 30 defenses (based on yards/game), 24 of those teams are in the Top 30 of Time of Possession in the country. 

I think the game will be much closer than most are predicting. I believe we're going to play much better and pull out a victory. I thought we would've won against Illinois by 7-10 so take my prediction with a grain of salt as I'm pretty optimistic about Big Red. Hopefully they can prove it this weekend.

Yes I posted earlier in this thread that Frost has a lot of self-reflection to do this off-season including reconsidering his views on offensive and defensive philosophies to compete in the BIG.  I am hoping he will finally make a change at DC and find a DC with a proven track record of success.  Most importantly, the new DC should help shape and influence Frost rather than Frost forcing a new coordinator into his failed schemes.  This is where being the CEO of the team comes into play...picking the best staff and then letting them lead their units.  

2 hours ago, HuskerRobNOregon said:

"Held and Fisher are probably ok because of recruiting, but I think we really need to look at Mario, Beckton, and Austin"

Verdu--> needs to go.. 2AM has regressed, Luke was not ready..we lost Vedral and Gebbia.. QB room is a mess

RB Room-?  wow.. do miss Devine? others.. we had pre-frost.. what happened to Greg Bell? again.. transfers.. weirdness....

OLine? wow.. been a mess for a while... wonder how many of those QB plays look better with snaps delivered to the QB instead of towards the QB....L or R give or take...

Chins-- needs to go.. he was bad here in Oregon... bad at UCF.... ( Offense kept them winning

This staff is not a Big10 winning staff.. its not a Pac12 top tier staff.. Big12? okish.. yes... but Frost brain is Pac12 / speed style..  Chip K and Frost are NOT winning since Oregon / UCF days.. 

We need a Rutgers, Iowa, Wisc, Youngstown lol .. etc.. blue collar staff... the tan and cigar smoking UCF style is no good in November rain snow... Mario..  ;)

A few thoughts:
1. Runningbacks haven't been used properly this year (1/3 of total carries, 2/3 by QBs + Wandale)

2. Chins has actually improved the defense though last game was not good. The improvement is noticeable in the gang tackling, better fits into gaps and relatively few successful deep passes after Ohio State. 

3. The bolded part is the key to it all. Chins' defense is supposed to be aggressive, blitz heavy with lots of pressure. The crux of that relies on the offense scoring points and controlling the ball so as to save the legs of defenders for four quarters. If the defense is on the field for 60+ plays a game, the aggressiveness is limited. If the offense isn't controlling the game, the defense naturally must dial back some blitzing to more of a bend but don't break stance while trying to bow up when it matters most... Example being the last four minutes of the Penn State game. 

The key to our success is offense figuring things out. We will not win many games if we're scoring under 20-30 points. Frost hasn't lost when we score 35+. Once the team can figure out ways to consistently reach that mark, then we can reevaluate whether the defensive side is holding us back. 

• Plus1 2
17 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Yes I posted earlier in this thread that Frost has a lot of self-reflection to do this off-season including reconsidering his views on offensive and defensive philosophies to compete in the BIG.  I am hoping he will finally make a change at DC and find a DC with a proven track record of success.  Most importantly, the new DC should help shape and influence Frost rather than Frost forcing a new coordinator into his failed schemes.  This is where being the CEO of the team comes into play...picking the best staff and then letting them lead their units.  

I'm curious who would be a better fit at this stage should the offensive philosophy remain unchanged. They finally are getting more of the body types they want on defense to fit the aggressive scheme they run. It is actually sound in theory... An aggressive, pressure heavy defense paired with a fast pace, high scoring offense (*need this last part to finally kick in*). The defensive philosophy matches what Saban's concept of the defense (defend inside out, avoid being beat deep, high pressure) only we don't quite have the same horses as Bama yet. 

Instead of a staff overhaul at this point, i'd prefer to keep the staff together and the offense start establishing an identity. I think that starts with keeping Adrian as our starter, mixing Luke in as a hybrid, giving our running backs & offensive line opportunities to establish themselves and some testing of deep routes. Less QB scrambles, less screens and more straight forward good ole Husker Power from the pipeline. 

I have bagged on Chin a lot. However, the reality is that we are 1-3 not because of the O, but in spite if it. The only win is squarely because of Chin....IMHO, if we played more (almost every down) in press coverage, it would help us tremendously. Slow down the receiver, mess up the timing routes, don't let them get into a back pedaling DB on a blocking route etc....Worked well for Sanders. Knock them down, off their route or out of bounds.....DB's need to be freed up to play physical at the LOS.  

• Plus1 2

28 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

I'm curious who would be a better fit at this stage should the offensive philosophy remain unchanged. They finally are getting more of the body types they want on defense to fit the aggressive scheme they run. It is actually sound in theory... An aggressive, pressure heavy defense paired with a fast pace, high scoring offense (*need this last part to finally kick in*). The defensive philosophy matches what Saban's concept of the defense (defend inside out, avoid being beat deep, high pressure) only we don't quite have the same horses as Bama yet. 

Instead of a staff overhaul at this point, i'd prefer to keep the staff together and the offense start establishing an identity. I think that starts with keeping Adrian as our starter, mixing Luke in as a hybrid, giving our running backs & offensive line opportunities to establish themselves and some testing of deep routes. Less QB scrambles, less screens and more straight forward good ole Husker Power from the pipeline. 

can't disagree with the bolded.  I said before, build an O for a street fight....The B1G is a physical, smash mouth league.  Build an O with the mentality of hammer meet nail.  

• Thanks 1

Let this sink in.  

Noah a projected "3rd team" player on Nebraska's team is the third leading passer in the big ten.  His offense scores 30 points a game.  His team's average recruiting ranking is 70th over 4 years.  His offensive coordinator is in his first year.  Noah has chance to have his team win more games this year then Nebraska.  That in itself is a disgrace and someone needs to be fired. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 2
15 minutes ago, HuskerRobNOregon said:

It is funny.... Vedral at Rutgers.. Gebbia at Oregon State ( 3td last week ) will both likely have their teams win more than N this year.. and were at N.. with Frost and Verdu.. that is crazy !!! Someone let BOTH leave... 2AM has regressed.. Vedral is a legacy kid.. .and he wanted to leave.. wow

No facts other than opinion, if you are Frost's "guy" you seem to get more "opportunities"....Mo Washington comes to mind last year. Bell in 2018....Cam continuing to start....Maybe this is players perception as well.....Neither Gebbia, O'Brien were Frost guys....I think Noah followed Frost....Verduzco has outlived his worth at NU IMHO.  Again pure speculation just trying to figure out how we got to where we are....

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, HuskerRobNOregon said:

It is funny.... Vedral at Rutgers.. Gebbia at Oregon State ( 3td last week ) will both likely have their teams win more than N this year.. and were at N.. with Frost and Verdu.. that is crazy !!! Someone let BOTH leave... 2AM has regressed.. Vedral is a legacy kid.. .and he wanted to leave.. wow

Don’t forget about Burrow wanting to come here. Our QB eval doesn’t seem real good 

• Plus1 2

13 hours ago, runningblind said:

Let's be honest,  we can judge the OC because it's Frost.  Lubick is the WR coach and gets more time clearly.  

The most troublesome thing are the comments about how Frost was thinking about plays and missed the error leading to the fake punt, the personnel issues on special teams etc. What else is he missing by only paying attention to the offense? What is going on in practice? That's unacceptable to me after he chose to not hire a full-time ST coordinator.  He's mostly ignoring 2 sides of the ball still, and the one he is paying attention to is the worst. 

These are giant red flags folks,  I hate to say it.

Urban Meyer was the Special Teams coach at OSU. That should tell you something. 

Scott needs to learn detail and true accountability or he’ll never be top tier the way he needs to in the BIG. 

1 hour ago, HuskerRobNOregon said:

Noah leaving was a big hole to fill. I'm happy for him at Rutgers as he's gotten a chance to shine there and taken full advantage. I don't think his transfer should be considered a knock on the staff as he knew it would be difficult to be "the guy" here in the current situation. Adrian coming back as a two year starter, Luke coming off a redshirt year with plenty of fan hype. He saw a chance at Rutgers and thankfully, he's played his way into being a stud for them. 

Also happy for Gebbia, he wouldn't have fit in with what Frost asks of the QB position so good for him to get a chance to lead the Beavs. Same goes for O'Brien at CSU. Nice kids, just not the fit for them. 

I don't think anyone should call for any staff changes. It's Frost's team....he makes the big bucks.....he has to run it....if he can't get it done then it's time for him to move on. We don't need any more mutinies from the message board experts who feed the sports writers who then feel they have a right or obligation to badger the coach at press conferences.

I don't know what that pathetic crap we saw against Illinois was supposed to represent, but Frost and company make way too much money for ordinary fans on a couch to have to figure it out. The brilliant fan-led idea to make QuickDraw McCaffrey the starter shows you exactly where much of the problem lies. I think it would help if you guys would call out those experts and ask them what they think now.